Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dee3, Jul 1, 2010.

1. dee3

dee3 New Member

I don't post much, but was just wondering how many people consider themselves to be hoarders? I was watching the TLC show 'Hoarders - Buried Alive' a few days ago, and there were 2 episodes in a row that profiled 2 people with fibromyalgia that were also hoarders. Interesting.......

2. shirley1259

shirley1259 New Member

I think the problem might be that they dont have the energy to clean up after themselves. I know when I worked my house was starting to look like a hoarders. (well maybe not quite that bad) Since I havent been working I have been taking small steps each day to clean up my house and I must say it looks much better now than it did in October. Still have some cupboards to clean out and things to go through in my bedroom.

I watched that show a couple times and believe me it scared me the thought of my house getting as bad as some of them are. I know that with my fibro it takes alot of effort to get things done but I have too and I know that so I do what I can each day and take breaks often. I truley dont ever want my house to look like a hoarders house.

3. matieofleaves803

matieofleaves803 New Member

I worry about it sometimes..But then I look around and I don't see a bunch of stuff. There's maybe more clutter than a lot of people because I'm a writer and a reader, so there's a lot of paper.
    But what really bothers me is, why do I keep all those old magazines, all those old VCR tapes AND all those ancient, falling apart paperback books??? Because they were really good, that's why. And it would be a shame to just toss them out.....wouldn't it?
    I used to take them to used book stores, but I'm not mobile, anymore, so there they sit. I have passed lot of them on to my grandsons. That's good, isn't it? tsk, tsk, tsk...
    But where it's really good to horde is on the computer heh, heh, heh.....you should see my list of favorites....
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I am definitely not a hoarder, but I do certainly stock up on certain things (like TP, for instance) bc I never know how long it will be before I am well enough to make it to the store to buy more.
  5. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

After I saw that show....I went into my closet(s) and took out everything I haven't worn in a long time and brought to the Salvation Army as a donation. I'm not a hoarder but I have too much....we probably all do!
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I watched a program where the people who run the show were interviewed. It turns out that a lot of these people have OCD. They do get therapy on the show.

I watched one or two episodes and that was enough for me. My sister loves it. But I can't remember if they show the people getting treatment or not. I think they show an organizer?

The places started looking the same.

I have always been a minimalist however I do like my books. I've always wanted a place to live with a library. Yeah, like that is going to happen. I always buy the books they have on sale in the library or garage sales with the occasional gift certificate.

I don't think a kindle would do for me.

But, I do think that it is also the possibility that some of the people have physical illnesses and don't have the energy to do the day to day things around the house.

7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

When people get to that degree of hoarding, it comes down to mental illness.
  8. kbak

kbak Member

I consider it grossly unfair to consider people with Fibro hoarders unless of course they actually had that disorder previous to getting Fibro. Hoarding is a behavior disorder. My MIL is a hoarder, and my husband has that tendency that I don't let get out of hand.

People with Fibro deal with weather they have the energy to do anything. It's bad enough that Fibro is considered a mental problem by many, we sure don't need people thinking it's a behavioral problem too!

Take care,
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi kbak - There is a huge difference between someone who is a hoarder and someone who is unable to tidy and clean due to illness. Hoarders tend to keep everything and live in absolute squalor and filth and don't see anything wrong with what they are doing. People with illnesses such as CFS and/or FM on the other hand usually do at least a minimum of cleaning during their good moments even if it is just to wash a few dishes, or throw out the garbage, or swish out a toilet, etc. We aren't stepping in or over dog poop, dead animals, a years worth of pizza boxes, and bags and boxes to get from one end of our homes to the other.
  10. gknee

gknee New Member

I'm not a horder but I have found that my garage is quite a mess. I think it is from not feeling well. I don;t have the gumption to clean it up right now. I know the crash when I;m done would be a bad one.
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

but I wonder if some of it is instinctive at least to start, as there are differences in "hoarding" behavior. It's only in the past 100 years or so that we've had so much available to use. And really it's only been the past 25 years where so much "stuff" became so cheap for US, Canada, most of Europe, and wealthy elsewhere by comparison.

I can see the hoarding as a survival tool and perhaps instinctual when everything was handmade etc and you never knew when someone or yourself would need something. Everything usually was recycled into something else until there was no useable part was left (thinking about patchwork quilts in particular). "Sort of like" squirrels burying lots of acorns. Some studies have shown they forget a fairly large certain percentage of hiding places, so the more they hide the better their chance of survival.

But, the extremes it can get taken to (even worse when combined with being a shopaholic whether the shopping is done in thrift shops or not)... yes, then it becomes a mental illness.

BTW, this is not a defense of myself - downsizing was great, there's only a few things that I miss. Which isn't to say there aren't a few more things about which I could say, "Oh, I should've kept that". ;)

[This Message was Edited on 11/28/2010]
  12. wyndi

wyndi New Member

Hello. New here and saw your thread. I believe that an actual diagnosis of "hoarding" is unrelated to fibromyalgia. As all of us with FM know, the disease doesn't seem to travel alone though.

I have seen situations where the primary keeper of the home becomes ill (chronic or otherwise) and the house seems to got to pot, so to speak. Especially when other people live there and do not pick up the slack. That's more of a relationship issue though, rather than a FM issue.

I have also seen where people who suddenly loose the sense of control over their own life, start holding on to everything as a means of control. I have been working with a client who is in an advanced stage of MS that has been accused of being a "hoarder". She is not. Now that she is gaining some control over her life/environment, the issue is no longer hoarding.

IMHO the show was just a coincidence.
  13. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I saw a show, not the regular Hoarding show on TLC about a woman who was a hoarder. It was the most disgusting home I've ever seen. Her dogs crapped all over the house and she never picked it up. She only took sponge baths because she couldn't get in her shower. I don't know how she washed her hair cause you couldn't even get to the sink. Her toilet was broken so she went to the gas station to go to the bathroom!

"Stuff" is one thing. Filth is another.

Kudos to the people who go in and help them clean. That would be a really tough job.
  14. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i think i have issues with books...i buy more than i can possibly read...i just always want them!!! and i do read, just not fast enought....

with that said, for us book hoarders, if you can part with your books, i have discovered a place to swap them...every kind of book...paper back and hardcover, kids and adults books...cds and movies, too

it is called paperbackswap dot com...you list the books you want to trade....someone requests it....you pay online for postage and print it at home...wrap you book in the computer paper or drop in an envelope and put it in your mailbox....and you get a free book for every book you mail to someone else...it is fun and it has all kinds of social opportunies there....

message boards about all kinds of things....usually relating to books...it is a good, cheap way to get new reading material without leaving home...and it is good for the earth...and if you just want to get rid of your books, you can donate your points to schools around the country....
  15. victoria

victoria New Member

that's a really good idea! Thanks.

16. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

I'm with those who want to clear out and find the task too daunting to start, so don't. It's not a matter of wanting to live with a mess, it's the mental state and energy to deal with it - and I don't like it. TN
  17. June

June New Member

I watch that show sometimes and I am definately not a hoarder.
    I think it has to be something mentally wrong with a person who cannot let go of this old stuff they have. Even an old box with nothing it it and they can't throw it away.

The houses are so dirty and in some of them they don't even have a bed to sleep in because of the junk. I just saw one where this womans husband had to sleep in the car at night.
    These hoarders choose all of this crazy stuff over their families.

I have FMS and I can't stand for things to be in a mess around my house.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2010]
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My condo is clean and well organized but I do sort of hoard toilet paper, tissues, paper towels and A/C filters. It's just that I hate to pay retail for these things so I load up when they are on sale. I don't feel secure unless I have months' supplies of them. Hoarding is a form of OCD and I don't think I fall into the category of the typical hoarder. My friends think it's hilarious that I have all these products on hand but I save a bundle buying them on sale.

BTW, they once had a Hoarders Marathon and I watched all day. It's like a train wreck. It's horrible to see but I can't turn away.

Love, Mikie
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have to get gas. Our Publix grocery stores had $50 gas cards for $40. Guess which stations--BP! That was before the spill. I want to use them up. I bought quite a few because anytime one can save 20 percent on gas, it's a good thing. Now that I'm retired, I don't drive much so those cards will last a long time. I hope BP doesn't go under before I use them up.

I really don't think what we are doing is hoarding in the OCD sense. We are just savvy shoppers. Once one gets a good supply of these things, one never needs to pay full price. I can wait until things are on sale. Of course, it costs a lot when I stock up but, in the long run, it costs a lot less.

I usually get by with 25-29 cents per roll of TP and 75-80 cents per roll of paper towels. I never spend more than a dollar for a box of tissues. I have to buy good tissues because I have allergies and the cheap tissues rub my nose raw. Sometimes, Target will sell the multi-packs of Puffs cheap and sometimes, they will throw in a $5 gift card if you buy two. Can't beat that!

Love, Mikie
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Postal rates for mailing books, DVD's, Movies, etc. are very cheap. You cannot put a note, or anything else, in with the book or other media. It has to just be media materials.

Love, Mikie
  21. Juloo

Juloo Member

I had a great-aunt who hoarded animals. It's a little closer in the family as well, but not my direct line -- my mom hoarded selected newspapers and other reading material, but the house was immaculate otherwise.

If the tendency can develop, I know it can develop in me. That's why I love my little laptop -- Hoarders has some reruns on the web site, so I queue one up and clean my kitchen, or fold laundry, or sort through old receipts. It makes me take care of things and keeps me company to do this boring stuff.

You wouldn't say if you came in our house that it was hoarded, but I know the areas which are ignored or have that potential, and I DON'T want it to happen. So I keep chipping away and try to keep up with it so it doesn't go in that direction.