Hoarseness/sore throat

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Sep 11, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

My throat gets very sore, and periodically, I get so hoarse I can barely carry on a conversation. I believe this is the result of acid reflux damage to my throat. What upsets me most is that I can no longer sing. Not only does it hurt, but the hoarseness often makes it impossible for me to cleanly hit the note I'm aiming for. Sometimes, I wind up so far from the note I intended to sing, it startles me! I had been thinking that some of this may be related to my MS. I know that MS can affect my physical coordination like that sometimes. (For example, I'll be trying to eat something, and instead of putting the forkful of food *into* my mouth, I jam the fork up against my teeth.) I thought the MS also might be affecting my ability to reach the appropriate notes. However, I now think the sore throat/hoarseness also may be playing a role.

Does anybody else have a bad sore throat and/or hoarseness? I know that GERD is often associated with fibromyalgia; so I thought somebody else might be experiencing the same kind of problem. I've been taking Protonix for GERD for months (this is similar to Nexium and Prilosec), but it seems to be less and less effective. I supplement the Protonix with Zantac 75, and sometimes that at least eases the burning. However, the sore throat and hoarseness, which had been much better, seem to be coming back more frequently again.

I was just wondering whether anybody else on this list is dealing with this kind of problem.

--Laura
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

My throat gets very sore, and periodically, I get so hoarse I can barely carry on a conversation. I believe this is the result of acid reflux damage to my throat. What upsets me most is that I can no longer sing. Not only does it hurt, but the hoarseness often makes it impossible for me to cleanly hit the note I'm aiming for. Sometimes, I wind up so far from the note I intended to sing, it startles me! I had been thinking that some of this may be related to my MS. I know that MS can affect my physical coordination like that sometimes. (For example, I'll be trying to eat something, and instead of putting the forkful of food *into* my mouth, I jam the fork up against my teeth.) I thought the MS also might be affecting my ability to reach the appropriate notes. However, I now think the sore throat/hoarseness also may be playing a role.

Does anybody else have a bad sore throat and/or hoarseness? I know that GERD is often associated with fibromyalgia; so I thought somebody else might be experiencing the same kind of problem. I've been taking Protonix for GERD for months (this is similar to Nexium and Prilosec), but it seems to be less and less effective. I supplement the Protonix with Zantac 75, and sometimes that at least eases the burning. However, the sore throat and hoarseness, which had been much better, seem to be coming back more frequently again.

I was just wondering whether anybody else on this list is dealing with this kind of problem.

--Laura
  3. shannon

shannon Guest

Laura, I have the same thing as far as the sore throat thing goes and the acid reflux goes. I have the worst burning feeling in my tummy and my sides when it acts up. I find that only zantac helps me. shannon
  4. dlizard

dlizard New Member

yes I frequently get hoarse and always have. When I'm tired I am always loosing my voice and have since I was about 12. Last year I got to the point I didn't have a voice at all in the mornings. I could barely whisper. I frequently have sore throats esp in the mornings. Anyway, to make a long story short, I had polyps on my vocal cords. You should have an ENT doc look for you. They can scope you after numbing you up good right in the office. I had these removed last july and they are back again.... pesky little boogars. I smoke and the ENT says these are not from smoking. He says they are associated with stress & or acid reflux ( duh* ).... and yeah I got that too LOL>>>> One may also develop larngeal edema and that can likewise caue hoarseness or one can have both* Good luck!
  5. sybil

sybil New Member

i used to sing,i have done since i was about 5.i used to be in choirs and once i was in a band! but i can't sing now.like you i find it impossible to hit the higher notes when i run up and down the scales.so i've given up,i don't want to cause any more damage to my vocal chords.i had my vocal chords checked at ent about 4 years ago.they were fine then.

i don't have re-flux.in fact i don't have IBS or any sort of tummy/bowel problems.so i have no idea what is causing my throat/voice problems.
    on blood tests my thyroid shows as normal,

sybilxxx
    [This Message was Edited on 09/12/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/12/2002]
  6. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Because of a white spot on my throat--which by the time I got an appointment--IT WAS GONE. I think it was thrush and I was using Mycelex at home, and I think it went away. I told him about the sore throats and hoarseness. I always clear my throat. He said it could be from allergies, environmental allergens, GERD and I questioned CFIDS. He was not very helpful on this and he didn't scope my throat even though I mentioned vocal cord dysfunction. I also heard that polyps can grow back--is it worth removing them? Of course there has been sick kids at my house (bad summer virus going around) so this could be my main problem.
    Tania
  7. teacher

teacher New Member

I had problems with a sore throat and hoarsness when I started teaching 14 years ago. I teach elementary music. For what it's worth, here's my experience:

I did see an ENT and I was diagnosed with vocal nodules. I had them removed. I am very thankful that I had someone that knew what he was doing. I have no scar tissue to deal with.

I have also been diagnosed with a low functioning thyroid. I am currently taking supplements to support my thyroid function, so that is no longer an issue.

I became sick when I first started teaching, but wasn't diagnosed CFS until November 2000. I had suspected that my vocal trouble was coming from that but I wasn't sure until last month.

During all of this time, I was constantly losing my voice. I had to quit two community choirs because of it. Very frustrating for someone that was born to music. Also very frustrating on the job. I currently have a principal that doesn't believe in CFS. She was contantly making remarks about me not practicing good vocal health, singing too much with the children, etc. She never believed that my problems were coming from the CFS.

My school went on a two day retreat to plan for this school year. I was fine when I got there, but by 4:00 I was in the middle of a major flare up. I think I really scared everyone. They had been kind of pooh-poohing my illness and like I said earlier, my principal didn't believe. They all do now. The topper? I LOST MY VOICE! I wasn't singing. I wasn't even talking. I was just sitting there in an air conditioned room under my blanket listening.

I think you're right to suspect CFS or FM. Don't know if or how much this helps you. Just thought I'd share my experience.

teacher