Hobby turned into Business for FMS patient!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Jan 3, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

Bear award for Andy
    A TEDDY bear artist from Horsham has won a prestigious award for his work.
    Andy West, 41, of Norfolk Road, won the Miniature British Bear Artist of the Year 2005 award last month in Hove.
    Andy, who has fibromyalgia and is a wheelchair user, first started his work with teddy bears after his physiotherapist suggested he take up a hobby nine years ago.
    He has since started working professionally selling his Westie Bears at various outlets.
    The former social worker also makes bespoke creations.
    The colourful creation that won him the award is entitled Asbo Andy and That Morning After Feeling and features three punk bears lying drunk in the gutter.
    His creations range in height from half an inch to eight inches.

03 January 2006

[This Message was Edited on 01/05/2006]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm definitely going to take up painting. I've loved art all my life and, despite having some good drawing skills, really love abstract art. This is just the thing I needed to push me to act. It may take some time to get all my supplies but I'm definitely going for it. Thanks for this post.

Love, Mikie
  3. darude

darude New Member

Good for you!!!!!!! I too am thinking of various things I can do from home. I used to make dolls so might be able to do something in this area.
  4. darude

darude New Member

I agree this is wonderful. I too have to look beyond this illness Nanjee!!!! I also have started making little outfits for my dog from scraps. My neighbor has already asked me to make some for little guys.
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

learning to hand quilt and also doing some embroidering.I've thought of doing painting too.I want to try and paint some of the photos I've taken.Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 01/03/2006]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This may inspire others if they see it. This board moves waaaaaaaay too fast.

Love, Mikie
  7. sues1

sues1 New Member

A while after I got this illness I started making some geese outfits, for those cement geese, for the church bazaar. That gave me a purpose to make them and I loved the feeling of creating (I never used patterns, just imagination) and of giving.
    I made other things also. I am not crafty but they were cute enough that they all sold well.

THEN I got my computer and I started doing family research and it really took over me. I have so many family lines and I have worked hard, well it is not hard when you are enjoying it! My crafts fell to the side, I want to get back to them.

Please note.....I really am not a great sewer, but somethings do not take a real seamstress. Actually I was proud of what I did. For I have problems with my hands. I can not hand sew much at all. On many things I use the roller cutter and a cutting board that you are to use with it. The sewing machine I can handle, just as long as my back starts hurting and then I turn off the machine and lights in that room and leave for a while.

Genealogy, sewing........and all else is worth working on IF it gives you pleasure. It is like another supplement or pill for us. Blessings.......Susan
  8. darude

darude New Member

For all the artists etc. out there.
  9. darude

darude New Member

changing title
  10. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I am glad I read this. I want to start doing this again. I put one in my profile, it helps to keep my mind off of the pain and focus... well, try to focus anyway!!
    Thanks for inspiration for us all!!!
  11. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

I paint murals on walls in homes, ceramics, I get inspired by the hgtv & diy channels! I'm addicted!

I so other crafts & scrapbooking to.

I just finished this wall hanging, it was basically a scrapbook idea, it was a family tree with photos for my husbands grand mother, she loved it so much she cried!!!
    I got alot of attention just for that.
    BUMPING for everyone whos creative!!
  12. darude

darude New Member

13. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

Thanks for that story Darude!

Pats on the back to ALL of you artists.

It's not whether you make money at it, it's whether you make the art!

{Still smilin' at the thought of Pugs in frilly sweaters, LOL! My sis in law's Pug Bandit would SOOOO hate me for that - he he he he!}

I play guitar for my birds when I'm up to it. A friend who's Grandma passed away gave me a beautiful lovebird who had been her Grandma's. He has a black head, a teal body, and looks like a tiny penguin.

I also have a cockatiel and a little parrot, a Jenday Conure. I recently wrote an article that was accepted by a bird mag, that I posted about here. Still haven't been told when it will print.

Anyhoo, I told my friend the lovebird when nuts when I was learning to play Patsy Cline's *Crazy*. I KNEW he was having a moment of nostalgia, as he sat on his swing, swaying side to side listening as I stumbled through it....

She told me she played that often for him! She was really impressed that HE remembered, and showed me he did, and that I could tell.

....big sappy warm fuzzies....

I had been feeling SO down. That 2 gram bird pulled me out of it. Just knowing there was something I could do to give him a few moments of such bliss made me feel SO COOL!

I can't sing like Patsy. But it's good enough for a BIRD - and they should know, huh?

:)