Hobby

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mano13, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Mano13

Mano13 Member

What's your favorite hobby?
  2. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Mano

Welcome to the Board. Do you have Fibro or CFS? There are other boards at this site where
    folks discuss other illnesses.

My hobby is reading. And since I'm retired and no longer very active, I do lots of it. How
    about you?

Rock
  3. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi Mano...and welcome to the boards!

I also love to read, but am bad about not putting a book down till the end, if I find it interesting. :rolleyes: Then have to play "catch up" on sleep and chores, lol!

I enjoy doing lots of things, but have very little time lately for my hobbies...good thing I sometimes consider "laundry, cooking and cleaning" hobbies...I guess anything that one enjoys and finds relaxing can count, true?

To that list I would add gardening/houseplants, fixing picture frame collages (just mentioned that on the porch...some visit us over there too!) I'm sure there are others, just can't think of them right now, lol...hope to hear from others.

Of course, my most important "hobby" right now is being with and taking care of our grandkids ;)

Good thread, thanks for posting!
  4. Stixx

Stixx Member

I suppose I don't really have a hobby, I have interests but nothing I could definitively call an hobby, maybe it's time I invested in one :)
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Welcome. I used to have hobbies such as gardening, painting, antique collecting, reading but as I've aged it's harder and harder. I'm reduced to growing succulents since they're hardly any work, painting when I feel creative and don't hurt, and now selling all those antique collections or trying to on Etsy, which has NOW become my almost daily routine. So many "things" I should do but they now all revolve around my health issues.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Like you, Granni, I always collected antiques. Well, my condo is full; I even had to sell some of them when Mom moved in with me. Mine are "farmhouse" type antiques--200 yr. old European pieces. They are pine and look great with my newer furniture and drapes in casual cotton fabric. I have some accent pieces for the wall and top of my kitchen cupboards. Farmhouse is the new chi chi d├ęcor, replacing country. I feel so avant guard :).

I also paint but mostly abstracts. Haven't felt up to painting in a while. It's just so much easier to watch TV or read. Hopefully, if I heal these UTI's, I'll feel up to doing more. I've always loved doing projects around the condo but just don't have it in me to do any major redecorating. I did see a project on Pinterest. You take a 2X6 and cut it to the length of your sofa. You stain it and install shelf brackets to hold it up. It goes just a couple of inches below the top of the sofa on the wall behind it. You can put a lamp, books, knickknacks, etc. on it without the bulk of having a sofa table taking up so much room. I may be able to handle that much.

Mano, thanks for posting this interesting thread.

Love, Mikie
  7. john1836

john1836 Member

Retired here now. Trying to help the disabled.
  8. bct

bct Member

Hobbies are bird-watching (from the window), gardening -- when I can, and reading a great deal.

Barry
  9. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi John

I used to help the disabled. Now I am one. Ain't life funny that way. Why do you have 1836 in your name? Did you have an ancestor at the Alamo? I remember standing in front of the Alamo. Just behind me was a skyscraper hotel, a Hilton I think. Separated by roughly 3 centuries of architectural design and engineering.

America has changed so much in my lifetime, I sometimes think my childhood was centuries ago.

Rock
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Rock,

We're probably lucky they didn't tear down the Alamo to put up a Hilton! Last time I was there, Mom and stayed on a more upscale Holiday Inn hotel (is an upscale Holiday Inn an oxymoron?) on the river. We could get drunk on the Margaritas, served in bowls, at the Mexican restaurant and crawl back to the hotel. No driving required but one has to be careful not to fall into the river. San Antonio is one of my favorite places to visit, along with San Francisco, New Orleans, and New York.

Love, Mikie
  11. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

OH, Mikey, you're such a hoot. John Wayne would not let anybody tear down the Alamo.
    I was trying to find out if that hotel was the Hilton. I asked Gordon. He said he remembered
    something green. Might have been the Holiday Inn. So maybe we stayed at the same hotel.

Searching the net was no help. It appears that San Antonio has 7 Hiltons.

My aunt and uncle used to live in San Antonio. My mother went to visit a few times. She
    got a bit annoyed with Uncle Vern. Every time he'd pick her up at the airport, he'd stop
    on the way to their place in order to show her the columbarium where he and Aunt Sally
    would eventually be installed.

BTW, I looked up columbarium. Apparently the original meaning was "dovecote".

Rock
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hmmmm, in FL, developers are kings. Even John Wayne couldn't stop them.

I stayed at another "upscale" Holiday Inn in Savannah, another of my favorite cities, along with Charleston. This one was originally a smithshop and then a Coke facility. I always thought it was nice that they honored old historic bldgs., even if they did repurpose them for something commercial.

Down by Union Station in Denver, near the Rockies' stadium, all the old bldgs. are repurposed for condos and office bldgs. One is a brewery started by the Gov. Their brews are yummy! There is a Japanese VFW for Japanese who fought against us in WWII. We used to eat there because the food is great; however, occidentals are seated last after any person of Japanese heritage is seated. Also, we had to endure dirty looks. I hate to think what they did to our food. Do we have a VFW in Tokyo? Doubt it.

Love, Mikie
  13. john1836

john1836 Member

No relatives but you are very astute!
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I actually did get the little shelf installed and it is outstanding! Love it! I put my pink Himalayan salt lamp on it and it gives off a lovely orange glow. Also supposed to put out neg. ions to calm me down.

I like to make jewelry. Actually, I don't make it so much as string together beads I like and hang pendants on them. Barb paints tee shirts and I have everything ready to go for that. Every time I think I'll do some hobby, I get sick and the whole condo goes to hell in a hand basket and I spend my time cleaning it up instead of enjoying my hobbies. Even a passive hobby like reading suffers because I get so tired that when I read, it puts me to sleep. Whine, whine, whine!

Love, Mikie
  15. paulac7

paulac7 Member

As y'all can tell probably by my picture, one of my hobbies is music....I play bluegrass banjo and guitar....I also make quilts, but haven't done that for awhile....Interesting topic, hearing about everyone's hobbies.....
  16. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi and Welcome Mano,

I love music almost all kinds and love to sing. I sing in the church choir and another small group that visits different facilities, we did that a lot this Christmas time. However, I was so busy with other stuff I had to bow out of a couple of the performances. Also belong the our county choral society which is a lot of fun. We have 3 performances a year and DH had other things we needed to go to so I had to forgo the Christmas program this year.

I just do what I can do. However, I make up from when I was growing up and couldn't always do what I wanted due to the school we were busses to, no High School in our area . So we had to catch that bus coming and going and not partake of any of the fun stuff like choir or orchestra in school.

Gotta run for now but thanks for the interesting post. It is a good way to meet people that way on this site. The people are so wonderful and a lot of fun, smart too !!

Hope to TTYL !

Cheers !
    Granni :)