HOLIDAY CRASH AND BURN...here I go...what a rude awakening 4 me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Butterfly_of_grace, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

The day after thanksgiving was a reall eye opener for me. I have been VERY fortunate that my fibro has been a minimal pain in the tush...that is, up until the day after thanksgiving...
    OMG I could not even get up and put my feet on the floor to walk to the bathroom Friday morning. I hurt worse than I can remember...it was a true reminder on how bad things can get when the stress sneaks up on me.

I always see this trend though...Im ok until the day after a big event. I had people over for Thanksgiving and I cooked and cleaned all day and I was fine. I seem to go thru these trends no matter what event.

Anyway, yesterday was a true reminder of how bad fibro really gets. Its been a while for me but after yesterday boy oh boy do I remember how bad the pain and the fatigue can get. I literally felt "ill" from the pain, it was horrible.
    I guess my body gave me a not-so-friendly reminder on how I need to take it easy with holiday stress.
    Today I spent the whole day from 9:30am until about 5:00pm tonight decorating and hanging lights for the holiday...the tree is up, the window is decorated and all the bushes are covered in lights...tomorrow I will surely wake regretting that I overdid today. Oh well, live and leanr. At least now I can sit back and enjoy the rest of the season. Xmas shopping is 90% done and everything is already wrapped. WHEW! first time ever for that LOL

anyone out there in crash and burn mode since Thanksgiving???

HUGS 2 ALL!
    -Diane
  2. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

I have done this more times than I care to remember. In fact, I dread Christmas because it takes me months to feel better again. I am going to TRY to break the cycle this year!

I feel for you. These kind of flares are always so disappointing - you feel such a sense of accomplishment for what you accomplished, then your feet go out from under you. Then, if you are me, I usually berate myself for not knowing better. I think its better to think of it as a choice we make sometimes (like you did today with the lights and decorating), knowing it will cause a flare, but choosing to anyway because it makes sense, or its a special occasion, or in this case, you are done now and can relax from here on out.

Good job on getting all that stuff done ahead of time!! Now just get past this flare, take super good care of yourself and don't overbook!

Happy Holidays!
    Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2006]
  3. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

Diane

I am a "bit" older than you and still haven't learned my lessons from over do.

I started 6 weeks ago getting my house ready for the holidays. The whole cleaning bit. Thinking if I spread it out more , it wouldn't be so bad.

I made some dishes before hand and put them in the freezer.

Both my family and dinner were great.

The day after Thanksgiving my baby sis invited my husband and I to Stone Mountain, in Atlanta, Ga., about a 2 hr drive for us.

I was in awful pain on Thursday night but since I've not been out much lately, we decided to go.

It was beautiful and I really enjoyed it but the fatigue and pain over took me. The 'ARG' fibro did a number on me and for the first time I had my husband on one side of me and my sis on the other trying to get me back to the Inn.

What ever it is that happens to our legs that causes them to lock down, happened. I could barely put one foot in front of the other.Had to stop every few feet. I was frustrated, mad, aggravated and near tears.

Got home about midnight and had to wait until meds kicked in before laying down.

I have spent 90% of this day in bed. I'm still in pain but the fatigue is letting up a bit but my internal thermometer is haywire.

I was hoping to put up my tree in the next few days , but it will have to wait. I may have to have help this year.

Same place you are. Glad you got your tree up though.

Wren
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

butterflyofgrace:

I did not crash because it was just me. I went to a Thanksgiving buffet. They had everything and it was just $17.95.

I called my sister, wished her the best and went to bed.

I remember the days I was like you Butterflyofgrace: i could to it all.

No more for me and you know: I do not even care anymore.
    I had my own celebration. Some might find it sad, but I was surely happen since I did not have to cook, entertain and clean up.

I am glad you had a wonderful, but tread slowly (if I were you), you might be setting yourself into a flare.
    Get some rest, rest and more rest.

It is wonderful you got all those things done.

I put my lights on Wednesday, nothing fancy, but it looks wonderful.

You have a good rest and maybe that's good advice for me, too.

nyrofan
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

Our 7 guests came in on different times on Wednesday (all were staying at hotels nearby -- our house isn't big enough), and they left various times today (Saturday).

My husband and I both started feeling feverish and sick last night. We are all now enjoying being in different rooms, in front of different screens (me -- computer, son -- PlayStation2, dh -- TV movie) and PEACE AND QUIET!

We had a great time with our guests, but I certainly will be paying for it over the next week. I already feel like I've been sleeping all squished up in a fist...achy and hunched up.

I ripped up the leftover dinner rolls, tossed in the rest of the cream, extra milk, eggnog and some eggs, vanilla and sugar, and threw in the rest of the cranberry/orange relish that hardly anyone ate on Thanksgiving, and it's looking like bread pudding. Thank goodness we can just eat leftovers for the next few days!

Among our guests was my little nephew...my *potty training* nephew. He trained on the new rug, the sofa, and the bed. And his brother broke the door handle on my car so that it cannot be opened from the outside. But even though it was annoying, it was all a small price to pay to see our far-flung family together for a bit as it will be several months before we will see each other again.
  6. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Diane, my mom used to have a saying that I have used a lot lately, "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get." Ya know it seems to fit all too often.

My saying to my husband when he asks why I try to do so much all at once when I am in so much pain is, "I am already in pain I might just as well do it now, if I do it on my good days I will pay for it." This way, like you I guess I am ahead of the game.

I prepared pies and fixins that went in side dishes the night before thanksgiving. I felt pretty good thanksgiving day (did wake up with migraine, but med got rid of it). But Friday was the worst...I couldn't keep my eyes open. Oh not the normal tired eyes, but so bad that I felt like when I walked my eyesight was off. The worst part, I couldn't sleep because all I would do is jerk! Today, the same way,just not quite as bad. Pain, oh my goodness..my pain meds were not keeping up by all means.

So, I fixed a big supper, started sundays laundry, did two loads of dishes and went to the library. The library and store both, I had people look at me and go, "you look really tired, you should go home and take a nap." Yeah, right I have 5 teenage boys in the house right now, all upstairs above my head! I don't think that's gonna happen!

Wow, you have 90% of shopping done, that is great! And wrapped. I am going to try decorating this week, when the kids are in school.

I am proud of what you have accomplished. You go girl!

Take care & Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laure
  7. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

and Im so sorry to hear I am not the only one in a flare....

I think the toughest thing is trying to slow down for me. Im a glutten for punishment and a fool I am.Tomorrow I will try and keep the day light because as of Monday my boss-man wants me to work a few hours voertime this week which is going to add to the stress....this will surely feed the fibro flare fire Im sure. Im not looking foward to the overtime but then again, we need money badly. Its just two hours extra a day the three days I work but also I have to work monday night as well. Monday will be a 9-10 hour day...THATS going to kill me for sure. Again, money is needed. As far as Tuesday and Thursday I have off. I did pick up an every other week cleaning job on Tuesdays but THANK GOD I dont have to do it this week. I already did it last week. I use to have a cleaning business. I wonder how the heck I use to be able to clean all those houses when I can barely make it thru this every other week job and my own weekly cleaning (more like daily wiht 6 people in the house, 1 dog 1 cat and 5 hamsters to add to the messes LOL).
    Anyway, at leats my job at the Chiro office isnt too stressful...its rushing home and dealing with dinner time, sports, hubby rushing off to his second night job and the 4 kids, homework struggles, shower time and bed time...whew it gets exhuasting! ANYHOO....thanks for listening.

God willing the flare wont get too out of control. I have to say I knew it was coming because when my boss was adjusting me (chiropractor) on tuesday and wednesday OMG I thought I was going to jump out of my skin...it was that painful. Usually I enjoy being adjusted because even though it hurts for a few minutes afterwords, I feel great a while later and i feel alot of relief....last week was another story though...I thought I was going to DIE. The bad weather, the cold and wet and the stress was what probly did me in.

HUGS (gentle) to all of you again!
  8. linpop

linpop New Member

I have been through everything you are going through but, since my husband took off with another woman a year ago, I would go through it all again with double, triple the pain just to not be alone. Spent last year's Thanksgiving, Christmas, and this Thanksgiving alone. I didn't have the most wonderful husband in the world I gave him strength and then when I needed it he was gone after 14 years. Of course, I am better off without him but I wonder how many of you realize that if you don't have anyone at all then the suffering seem's to be for nothing. Without this illness I would find a wonderful man how many of you have realized that when we have this FMS we can't even find the strength to do that? It's pityful and I feel pathetic at 55 years old.

Sorry to be a wet blanket and yes I'm feeling sorry for myself. Can't travel from CA to NC to see my daughter, even if I had the money, as you all know what that would do! It would take a month to recover from the traveling I just can't do it.

Anyone else got 'alone' stories?

Linda

[This Message was Edited on 11/25/2006]
  9. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Just see my latest post to know that I do have a clue of what you're going through. I guess that's why I am torn over my situation.
  10. linpop

linpop New Member

I am new on here so how do I find you last post?

Linda