Holiday Depression

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Sunshyne1027, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Holiday Depression & Stress

The holiday season is a time full of joy, cheer, parties, and family gatherings. However, for many people, it is a time of self-evaluation, loneliness, reflection on past failures, and anxiety about an uncertain future.

What Causes Holiday Blues?

Many factors can cause the “holiday blues”: stress, fatigue, unrealistic expectations, over-commercialization, financial constraints, and the inability to be with one’s family and friends.
    The demands of shopping, parties, family reunions, and house guests also contribute to feelings of tension.

People who do not become depressed may develop other stress responses, such as: headaches, excessive drinking, over-eating, and difficulty sleeping. Even more people experience post-holiday let down after January 1.

This can result from disappointments during the preceding months compounded with the excess fatigue and stress.

Coping with Stress and Depression During the Holidays

Keep expectations for the holiday season manageable.
    Try to set realistic goals for yourself.
    Pace yourself.
    Organize your time.
    Make a list and prioritize the important activities.
    Be realistic about what you can and cannot do.
    Do not put entire focus on just one day (i.e., Thanksgiving Day) remember it is a season of holiday sentiment and activities can be spread out (time-wise) to lessen stress and increase enjoyment.
    Remember the holiday season does not banish reasons for feeling sad or lonely; there is room for these feelings to be present, even if the person chooses not to express them.
    Leave “yesteryear” in the past and look toward the future. Life brings changes. Each season is different and can be enjoyed in its own way.
    Don’t set yourself up in comparing today with the “good ol’ days.”
    Do something for someone else. Try volunteering some time to help others.
    Enjoy activities that are free, such as driving around to look at holiday decorations; going window shopping without buying; making a snowperson with children.
    Be aware that excessive drinking will only increase your feelings of depression.
    Try something new. Celebrate the holidays in a new way.
    Spend time with supportive and caring people.
    Reach out and make new friends or contact someone you have not heard from for awhile.
    Save time for yourself! Recharge your batteries! Let others share responsibility of activities.

Can Environment Be a Factor?
    Recent studies show that some people suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD) which results from fewer hours of sunlight as the days grow shorter during the winter months. Phototherapy, a treatment involving a few hours of exposure to intense light, is effective in relieving depressive symptoms in patients with SAD.

2. danny3861

danny3861 New Member

Sunshyne, thanks for this post. It really made me think and realize several things. I have to remember and others to, why we celebrate Christmas, the birth of Jesus. Thats what i'm trying to do. God bless you.

Danny
  3. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have been really depressed the last couple weeks. I remembered how we need to help others who are depressed and come to the board here. I posted it in hopes it will help others. I am the sort that does not want to share the depression with others. I feel a little better today, yet still have my times. I am glad it helped you too.
    I got a Christmas Card today in the mail that reminded me what Christmas is all about also. It is about the birth of our saviour Jesus Christ. The Card also asked me to pray for others going through trying times, and a reminder around the holidays others too are depressed, and it is hard for them around the holidays. Wild how God provides everything we need isn't it?

Blessings to you too Danny..
    Sunshyne/Nancy
  4. danny3861

danny3861 New Member

I think it is a daily struggle for most of here, but thru the support of everyone here at this Worship board and thru Jesus Christ we will make it. I''ve been listening to this Christian tape my Mom gave me and its very inspirational to listen to while I'm driving. I just find that the more of my time I dedicate to the Lord, the better I feel. I mean, I'm on meds for Depression and Anxiety, but I still have my days. I keep praying that I can get off of them, but I dont know if thats in Gods will. I've never handled things well when things go wrong in my life. But like they say, Life is a Journey, and you gotta be grateful for each day we are given.
    Thanks you Lord for your grace.
    God bless you Nancy.

Danny
  5. PrayerWarrior316

PrayerWarrior316 New Member

Great Post, Thank you so much for sharing this post with all of us.

Many Blessings to you, Judy