Holiday Flare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm recovering from a flare due to being overscheduled at work. I had told them at the store that I cannot work more than six hrs. a day and no more than three consecutive days without a day off. The week before I went to CO to see my family, they scheduled me four days. I worked it but told my boss I can't do it again. When I got back from CO, I was scheduled for four days in a row, including Christmas Eve, and the days were seven and seven and a half hrs. It's the busiest time of the year and I tried to work it but started to really go into a painful flare on Tues. I took my BP and it was 162/95 at the store. I called the doc and the nurse left a message that he wanted to see me on Wed. morning. It was 12:30 by the time they worked me in and my BP was 170/95 then. The doc changed my BP med and sent me home. The new med is working fine (the old one caused such a horrible headache that I stopped it). My BP was only slightly high while I was in CO on vacation. The med I couldn't tolerate was Cardazem. The new one is an ACE inhibitor with a diuretc.

I have taken my BP for years at home with an automatic digital cuff which was calibrated and accurate. Well, after it was dropped several times, it no longer was as accurate. I found a manual cuff at CVS Pharmacy which is designed so one can take one's own BP. It works really well and I had no problems using it. My daughter is in her last year of nursing school and she took it while I was in CO.

My doc wrote on a script that my hrs. are restricted to what I can work. I just went in to get my hours for this week and they were OK. The doc wanted to be sure I had something strong for the pain and I told him I keep Vicodin on hand just in case. He would have been more than willing to give me an Rx for a strong pain med. I love this new guy!

I am so grateful to have a job but nothing is worth getting myself in the position of becoming bedridden and on morphine again. I stand up to them at the store when I have to because if I don't stand up for myself, no one else will. They tried this stuff once before and I had to threaten them with the Americans With Disabilities Act to get them to listen. They get a tax break for hiring people with disabilities and in return, they are supposed to accommodate our limitations. Instead of losing me for an hour a day, they ended up losing me for the busiest day of the year. I hated not being able to work but my health is more important.

The BP is coming down and I am in less pain. I'm still tired but am resting. I have to give up carbonated drinks and restrict my salt. I have to limit carbs to healthy ones. Getting older sucks, especially for us. We have all the stuff one gets as one ages, on top of whatever symptoms our illnesses cause. Still, I feel fortunate for all the healing which has taken place over the last eight years. It's just an ongoing battle and we absolutely have to maintain balance in our lives.

Wishing everyone a very happy and healthy New Year.

Love, Mikie
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm so sorry that this came on but it's easy to see how stressful all of that could be. No one wants to go back to how we used to be, especially knowing how hard you've worked to be up and working again.

You know how much your body can take, good for you for sticking up for yourself at the store.

Hopefully the new BP med will work for you.

As for cutting out bad carbs, once you get used to the natural one's you won't even crave the bad stuff anymore. And I was once a carboholic!

I'm so glad you got to go to Colorado for the holidays.

3. ironspine

ironspine New Member

I hear ya, Mikie,
    I had to quit work at a job I loved because I couldn't even do the small amount of hours they gave me. It was a florist job where I was on my feet all the time, and had to go in and out of coolers. Lots of memorization too. They weren't as understanding.
    Please tell me about the Act. I have never learned about this.
    I'm so happy to hear you stick up for yourself. I too was taking Vicodin during my job, but it made me hyper and a blabbermouth. Having the people you work with understand you is the most difficult and draining thing to me.
    Now I'm a stay-at-home mom, and let me tell you just doing housework and dealing with my kids is a job enough for me!!!
  4. jole

jole Member

I too hope you're doing much better...Do you think part of your flare is due to your trip? It seems whenever I went anywhere just coming back and really relaxing for a little bit would send me into a flare. (But always worth it if the time spent away was with family)

I'm sure the added hours didn't help, which was evident by your elevated BP. Thank goodness you got in to see your doc and he did something about it immediately! Wishing you all the best***Jole***
  5. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

Hi Mikie,

I'm sorry to hear of your flare and am glad to see you are recovering from it. It sounds like you have a wonderful doctor.

You have been an inspiration for me ever since I joined this board. Going from being bedridden to being able to work is huge.

I wish you a speedy return to preflare health and I wish you much peace.

Thanks for being here.

6. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

I too was overscheduled due to coworkers taking off from work. And I flared - I knew I would - but had no choice.

I have no job protection as a contractor. I am married to a EU-country citizen and wonder how many of you know what terrible worker's rights and right to access health care we have as Americans? It makes me want to weep.