Holiday recipe thread? Anyone else ready? LOL ;)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by doxygirl, Sep 9, 2007.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Hi Everyone,

Since Christmas is approx 14 weeks away......LOL......
    Just wanted to know if anyone else would like to get an early start on holiday recipes......I know many of us just do not feel well so the earlier we can plan things the easier it may be.............

If you would like to add a recipe please join me! ;)

A Christmas morning breakfast treat:

Bake at 375
    17-20 min
    Grease bottoms of muffin tin or use muffin liners

1 1/2 cups oatmeal
    1 1/2 cups oat bran
    1 3/4 cups flour ( can be wheat flour if you like )
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 t baking powder
    1/2 t baking soda
    1/2 cup oil
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    2 eggs
    1 can cherry pie filling

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, mix well and set aside.
    In another bowl combine oil, buttermilk, eggs, beat with fork until blended well.

Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until blended......fold in the cherry pie filling and fill muffin cups 2/3 full.

If you like cherries you will like these for a morning or afternoon treat!

Coco's restaurants used to make a cherry oat muffin that was so delicious and I swear these taste just like them! :)
  2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Is this how people have their house decorated and gifts bought and parties planned for the holiday season - they start in September? No wonder my holiday cheer is in the gutter!

I have nothing to offer, but will be reading this thread to see if I can find something to make and perhaps catch an ounce of the holiday cheer this year!

3. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I knew I'd get this response!

But ya know Christmas is only approx 14 weeks away! "UGHHH"

Our Christmas is going to be very different this year....we do not have the finances to buy like we have in the past so this Christmas in our family it is going to be all about family and spending quality time together eating our favorite goodies and food!

I personally feel like Christmas has gotten out of control with the spending end of it....that is NOT what I feel it should be "ALL" one should have to become in debt or be completly stressed out in a time where is meant for just the opposite....but this is just my opinion ;)

If anyone wants to post a recipe please feel free to post it here .................

4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I have to agree with you about people going into debt for Christmas, that's not what it's all about!!! Family, friends, sharing, good food and celebrating the reason for the season! And the decorating is sooooo fun! This year (we did it last year too), we will have a Christmas party with close friends and have Santa drop in for the kids. All of the families take photos with Santa, and everyone cooks a favorite dish and brings it. Last year I purchased an inexpensive chocolate fountain ($25), bought some cream puffs, cheesecake and marshmallows and let everyone dig in.

I just enjoy being with everyone and seeing the kids' faces when Santa arrives, sheer joy!!!! So, I will check this thread for maybe a new idea to share with friends over the holidays. Thanks for the post! Kim :)
  5. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Boltchik - What kind of chocolate did you use? I have one of the fountains too, but never used it. My ex-husband once told me I should open a retail store for Christmas ornaments and pigs. I used to buy Christmas stuff year round. It's surprising where you can find the neat stuff!

4everkid - Your recipe sounds delicious! I am going to give it try!

Doxy - In my family, we haven't exchanged gifts for years. It seems we all are always doing something for each other, or helping out somehow during the year. And none of us can afford to buy presents for everyone.

We did buy for the little ones, but we don't have any little ones anymore.

So I am going to keep checking this thread for more great recipes to use this year. I'm always on the prowl for new recipes to try!

6. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

It will be here before we know it!

and last year there were so many good recipes and ideas that we just have to do it again this year!

Please help me to keep this going!

7. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

These muffins sound heavenly, and I'm not going to wait til the holidays to have them :) My mom likes to bake treats for me, she'll love this recipe.

Thanks, doxygirl.

p.s. Does your nickname refer to dachshunds, by any chance? If it does, check out otis89's profile photo of the cutest one I've ever seen :)
  8. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I too love cherries! They are my favorite fruit in the entire world!

and the cheery cherry muffins are good but they are also full of fiber so they are kind of good for you too! ;)

BTW "YES" my name is for my dachshunds.....I have six of them....they are my lifeline and my sunshine....never ever let me down....always by my side with love and affection!

"Most" dachshund owners cannot have just one.....almost all end up with two or more LOL! True fact!

I checked out otis 89 and that wiener doggie is so very cute you are right! In fact I have a girl that is 11 years old her name is Clary Nicole and she looks just like Otis but she is a girl not a boy!

Thanks for the tip off on Otis! ;) LOL you would think that after owning six dachshunds I would not get so excited but with me that just isn't true I go crazy whenever I see one anywhere!

Let me know how you like the muffins.......I personally think these are one of the best muffins ever...but then again I love cherries like you do so if someone were not a cherry lover they may not like them like we do! :)

thanks again for the post!
  9. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi! I just used milk chocolate chips and cooking oil. My husband actually set it up for me, it looked pretty easy. Yeah, if I see something for Christmas in the off season on sale, I will pick it up sometimes. You can get the best deals that way. Have a great day! Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/12/2007]
  10. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try!

enjoy your time

11. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Just wanted to let you know my mom made me some Cheery Cherry Muffins from your recipe and they were delicious comforting satisfying felt healthy and the house smelled heavenly!

Thanks - this is a new holiday baking pleasure :)

12. findmind

findmind New Member

Did I ever tell y'all about my balloon cups? A beautiful, surprising dessert for the holidays.

Take a bag of Ghiridella Dark Choc. Chips, Nuke for 1 minute and stir until creamy.

Have small balloons blown up beforehand.

Dip each balloon into chocolate and swirl. Set onto a serving plate and refrigerate for 1-2 hrs, until well "set".

Remove from frig at dessert time, prick balloon with scissors and peel it away from chocolate.

Fill with varied toppings: ice cream, berries (raspberries/frozen are my fav), Cool Whip, etc.

Delicious, and guest love them!