Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by doxygirl, Oct 4, 2007.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I tried this a few weeks ago and didn't get much response but thought maybe since Thanksgiving is only about 7 weeks away that some of us could get this thing rolling.....

I love baking and cooking and so many here have such good recipes and it is fun to if you are in let me know :)

Doxy " the happy baker"
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Velveeta Fudge (don't let the title put you off!)
    1 lb. Velveeta cheese
    1 lb. butter
    4 lb. powdered sugar
    1 c. cocoa powder
    1 t, vanilla
    1/2 c. chopped nuts
    In a large saucepan, melt Velveeta and butter together. In a very large bowl, mix the sugar and the cocoa. Pour melted cheese mixture over the sugar mixture and mix well. Add vanilla and nuts. Mix well and spread evenly into a 9 x 13 buttered pan. Cool and cut into pieces. One pan makes 6 1/2 pounds, so you'll have enough to share!
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

6 1/2 lbs? I'd have to have help lifting the pan!

If I remember to get the recipe out I will post my recipe for pralines. It's quick and easy and always comes out, ok, once it didn't but it was great on ice cream!

4. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for posting this! Fun to get new recipies! Here's my contribution

Microwave Peanut Brittle

Mix 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of light or regular corn syrup in a Glass 1 1/2 Quart Bowl,,,,,Micro on high for 4 minutes,,,,,Remove and

Stir in 1 cup of roasted salted or unsalted peanuts,,,Micro on high for 7-9 more minutes

Remove from Microwave and stir in 1tsp butter and 1 tsp vanilla,,,,Micro for 1 more minute,,,

peanut will be lightly brown and syrup will be very hot so handle carefully!

Last step is to remove from Microwave and stir in 1 tsp of Baking soda,,,,It will foam up and turn a lighter color,,,,,,,

Pour mixture onto a lightly greased cookie sheet or a non stick cookie sheet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

let it cool and break into pieces,,,,,,,Store in an air tight container,,,,,,,This has always turned out good for me ,,,,,,,,

It is helpful to have a Glass bowl with a handle for pouring and taking it in and out of the microwave,,,,,,S
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

This is not exactly a Thanksgiving recipe, but very good. I found it in the Los Angeles Times several years ago.

Lemon Pepper Shrimp

1 cube butter melted
    Juice from one lemon
    1 thinly sliced lemon after squeezing juice.
    5 cloves garlic - mashed
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp course ground black pepper
    1 tsp red pepper (Cayenne)
    1 lb peeled or (1 1/2 lb), deveined large shrimp,patted dry.

Turn on broiler. Place melted butter, salt, red pepper, black pepper, lemon juice and sliced lemon in broiler pan.

Toss the raw shrimp in the butter and lemon mixture. Place the pan under the broiler (about 6 inches away from flame)

Watch it carefully as it will cook fast. Broil for a few minutes then toss the shrimp and broil again for a few minutes until they turn pink. Do not overcook. Just keep watching it until pink.

These are delicious - tastes like something from a nice restaurant. The cayenne pepper does not really make it hot with all the other ingredients.

I would serve something like rice pilaf and brocoli hollandaise with this. Prepare the shrimp last because it will cook the quickest. Fancy, ha ha!!!

Note: My step daughter cut the butter in half and added 1/2 light olive oil. Still tasted great. Personally, I use just the butter because not that much sticks to the shrimp and you can't beat the flavor.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/08/2007]
  6. biddys2007

biddys2007 New Member

Hi Doxy: I like new recipes. Here is a simple one for an appetzer.

1 package cream cheese softened
    1 package dry Italian dressing

Mix together and serve with your favorite crackers. We like Wheat Thins or Chicken in the basket. Also have one for Snowball Peaches.

2 pkgs(3OZ.each) cream cheese softened
    2 t. apricot or peach preserves
    1 cup pineapple tidbits drained
    3 cans(15oz. each) peach halves drained
    leaf lettuce

In a small mixing bowl beat cream cheese and preserves until well blended. Stir in pineapple.Fill peach halves with cream cheese mixture,put on lettuce leaf. This serves 15. Hope you enjoy these and we found a really good one for Butterfinger pie over the weekend. I guess I better start getting my recipes out. Take care and hope we get some good ones. I'll try to post one or two a day. Good luck. Biddy

7. sisland

sisland New Member

8. laceymae

laceymae New Member

8 potatoes diced and cooked
    1 lb velvetta cheese
    1 cup mayo
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    salt and pepper
    1/2 lb chopped raw bacon
    1/4 cup black salad olives
    Mix 1st 5 indredients together,place in 13x9 in baking dish
    Top with bacon and olives
    325 degrees 1hr.
  9. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I guess since I started this darn post I should place a recipe on here right? LOL LOL

"Ok" I am bumping it up for right now...but I will add a recipe or two tomorrow ......

thanks to those of you who have shared here!

10. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i may post a recipe but i w/have to dig it out...i have so much going that the holidays have always triggered depression. so i may just go out to dinner period w/cody.

bu he loves my homemade pumpkin pie.
  11. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Guess I might put in my "recipe" for beef stew that I made succesfully yesterday.

Went to store and bought a lb or two of stew meat (Have used a cheap roast and cut up)and some other meat I cut up.

Plus carrots, celery, potatoes, peas, a big can of stewed whole tomatoes.

Put the meat in the biggest pot I can find (It's never big enough).

Fry and brown the meat(with cooking oil). Add salt and pepper, any spare spices (Montreal steak seasoning works good) that might be good. Add a quick pour of beer (just in case: the beer and pepper gets rid of any gamey flavor) and of course have a few sips of beer.

Timing adding the vegetables is the trick. I like the vegetables to be crispy, not over cooked.

Put in the can of whole stewed tomatoes, then a bunch of chopped potatoes. Cook for awhile while chopping celery and carrots and garlic. Also find any fresh tomatoes in refrigerator (cherry tomatoes good too).

Put in half of the carrots, then half of the celery and garlic. And half of fresh tomatoes I found.

Contemplate the stew mix and decide whether proportions are about right. If need more potatoes then can do a quick microwave.

Taste. Make any adjustments necessary.

Then add the rest of the carrots and vegetables and should be ready in about ten minutes. Adding the vegetables at different times assures that at least some of vegetables will be cooked just right.

Later I cleaned the stove top, refrigerator and wall by stove.
    Was shocked by the mess, but tasted great and worth it. (My Mom gave me an A+ )

Your mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 10/22/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2007]
  12. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

2 cans of crescent rolls
    2 - 8 oz pkgs softened cream cheese
    3/4 C powdered sugar
    1 egg white
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 can cherry pie filling

Press 1 can of crescent rolls on bottom of 13x9 greased to cover bottom of dish.

Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, egg white, and vanilla, spread onto pressed crust, top with 1 can of cherry pie filling.

Press remaining can of crescent rolls over top and press to seal to form top crust.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Drizzle over top:
    1-1/2 C powdered sugar mixed with 6 T milk ( mix well till smooth ).

Refrigerate...makes 24 servings.
  13. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

1 C sour cream
    1 t baking soda
    4 C all purpose flour
    1 C white sugar
    2 t baking powder
    1/4 t cream of tartar
    1 t salt
    1 C butter
    1 egg
    1 T fresh grated orange rind
    1 C of packaged ( ready to eat ) cranberries

Blend sour cream, rind and soda...set aside.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt.....cut in butter.

Stir the sour cream mixture and egg into the the flour mixture until moistened, add cranberries and ........

turn dough into a lightly floured surface and knead briefly.

Roll or pat dough into a 3/4" thick round......cut into 12 wedges and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 12 - 15 minutes.
  14. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

this can be eaten hot or cold

5 lbs potatoes
    2 cans 440grams creamed corn
    favourite mayonaise
    1 medium onion
    2 sheets ready made short crust pastry
    5 eggs
    some milk
    grated tasty cheese

peel potatoes and chop onion boil till tender
    add cans of creamed corn
    add mayo till you like the taste
    if the mixture is sloppy add some instant potato mix to give it substance

Whilst doing this place pastry sheets on a baking dish, prick hioles with a fork on the pastry and bake till golden

Add potao mixture on pastry sheets
    whip 5 eggs with a bit of milk and pour on top of mixture
    Sprinkle with tasty cheese
    Sprinkle some chopped parsley for decoration and bake in oven till top is golden brown

Can be eaten hot with vegies or cold with salad

Could I have a easy pumpkin pie please....

angel hugs and blessings

15. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

1-1/2 C white sugar
    1/2 C brown sugar
    1 C butter
    2 eggs
    2-3/4 C flour
    2 t cream of tartar
    1 t baking soda

mix together in med mixing bowl flour, cream of tartar, and baking soda..set aside.

with electric mixer on medium speed mix, butter and sugars until light and fluffy, add eggs one at a time beating well after each.

add flour mixture to butter, sugar mixture until well blended.

roll into 2" balls and roll into :

1/4 C white sugar mixed well with 2 T cinnamon

Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approx 10 minutes.
  16. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

1 9" deep dish unbaked pastry shell
    1- 15 oz can libby pumpkin
    1 - 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk (NOT EVAPORATED!!!)
    2 eggs
    1 t cinnamon
    1/2 t ginger
    1/2 t nutmeg
    1/2 t salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

In large bowl with whisk or electric mixer beat all ingredients....pour into crust and bake for 15 minutes at 450 ....reduce heat to 350 and bake for an additional 35 to 45 minutes more.

Cool before serving approx 2 hours

Serve with whipped cream
  17. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Earlier, I posted a cheese fudge recipe.....well, last night I saw Paula Deen making "my" recipe on an Iron Chef competition! Only she left out the vanilla and nuts and rolled it into balls instead. Then she dipped it into caramel sauce, then into white chocolate, then nuts! She only added 1000 more calories!