HOLIDAY SAUSAGE STUFFING RECIPE FOR GRANNI

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Nov 20, 2011.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

HOLIDAY SAUSAGE STUFFING RECIPE

1 15 OZ PKG OR 2 7 OZ PKGS ARNOLD HERB STUFFING
    1 LB ROLL PKG JONES COUNTRY PORK SAUSAGE, PANFRIED
    1 CUP (2 STICKS) BUTTER OR MARGARINE, DIVIDED
    2 CUPS CELERY, CHOPPED
    2 CUPS ONION, CHOPPED
    2 TBSP. FRESH PARSLEY, MINCED
    2 EGGS SLIGHTLY BEATEN
    2 CUPS TURKEY STOCK OR CHICKEN BOUILLON

SAUTE CELERY, ONION, AND PARSLEY IN 3/4 CUP BUTTER OR MARGARINE. ADD COOKED SAUSAGE. MIX WITH STUFFING, STOCK, AND EGGS. TOSS LIGHTLY UNTIL INGREDIENTS ARE COMPLETELY MOISTENED. SPOON INTO NECK AND BODY CAVITY OF AN 18-24 POUND TURKEY.
    RUB TURKEY WITH 1 TBSP. LEMON JUICE AND 1/4 CUP MELTED BUTTER. SEASON AND ROAST TURKEY ACCORDING TO DIRECTIONS. STUFFING CAN ALSO BE BAKED SEPERATELY IN A COVERED CASSEROLE FOR 30 MINUTES OR SO AT 350 DEGREES.

ENJOY!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING--

[This Message was Edited on 11/20/2011]
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

LGP- Thanks for the recipe. I already have the Pepperdge Farm Stuffihg Mix so I will be usisng that. I don't guess it will make much difference anyway. The onlyuthing difference is the parsely. I do have dried parsely though that I use alot . I need to go to the store will decide then on which to use. That is also a different sausage but I will use it if I can find it in our area.

I usually just make the stuffing separately anyway and do not stuff the turkey for a variety of reasons. I used to though and sometimes I do stuff it a bit.

About how much does this make or how many people does this serve - approximately anyway if you have any idea?

It sounds really good. Thanks again and havea a a wonderful Thanksgiving. Are you having it at your house this year and if so how many people are coming? It will be nine this year since one family goes with the other grandparents to the Hill Country an TX. Another daughter and family lives in North Carolina so they do not come down either. The other daughter and family will come for Christmas. BTW, we have 4 daughters and one son.

Blessings and hugz,
    Granni
  3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Actually I always make this recipe( in a casserole dish about 10 x 10 so it makes a good amount, usually had left over) because I never make an actual turkey anymore...I usually just make one or two breasts of turkey because after years of all the dark meat going in the trash (because nobody ate it), I wised up and just made the breasts. Oh, and if the stuffing seems a little dry, I wet it up with a bit of apple juice or cider before placing in the oven.

I decided to go to my mom's this year. We lost my FIL in the spring of 2010, and since Thanksgiving was always him and my family of five, last year at the dining room table with his empty chair was just horrible. So we decided to change it up this year and go to my mom's for dinner. In years past, we would have dinner here, and then head to my mom's for dessert....just made it easier on my mom and was perfectly okay with me since the girls are vegan. But I will be preparing and bringing the vegan meal to my mom's, which I will be eating part of, since I can no longer tolerate dairy due to my gallbladder surgery a few months ago. So I am preparing vegan mashed potatoes, vegan stuffing (Gimmelean instead of sausage..it's really good), sauteed kale with onions and mushrooms, roasted brussel sprouts, cranberry orange relish, and I am making a dreaded Tofurky that I purchased in Trader Joes. It's oven ready--stuffed with a gravy pan-- and only feeds about four people. I am not eating that though!! I can't wait to have my mom's delicious turkey and gravy. We live such a short distance from my mom that I can warm it up here and it will still be hot when we get there. Oh, and also I am making vegan cherry cinnamon cake and a stovetop vegan apple pie!! Altogether, we will be twelve at mom's so it will make for lots of fun!!!

Having a big family must be lots of fun!! Thank God my sister and I are super-close, but sometimes wish we had another sister or brother!! It would be so awesome!!

Have a wonderful day!!

Laura

[This Message was Edited on 11/20/2011]
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I use about the same stuff in my stuffing too, but I also like to add sliced water chestnuts. Sometimes I also add chopped hazelnuts or pecans.

I saw on a cooking show~~might have been Alton Brown where they used a muffin tin to cook the stuffing in. We are going to try that this year--individual servings and it looks like they could get nice and brown and a little cripsy around the edges.
  5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

My mom has been making muffin servings for years with the leftover stuffing. It's delicious!!! I swear, she's been doing it for as long as I remember; I think Alton Brown may have gotten it from her lol!! Make sure to spray the muffin tins so the stuffing muffins do not stick!!

Enjoy!!!

6. Granniluvsu

Laura, I could not find the Jones sausage mix so I got one of Jimmy Deans Sage and one Regular. I am not sure if I will need to double it or not.

******About how much does this recipe make ?? I got the apples and even got a small package of mushrooms which I mightg also add. Have you ever added mushrooms? I know I have seen a recipe with it but not everyone like it. We do !!!

Wonder if the young ones will take out the bits of stuff they don't think they will like. I remember when the kids were small I decided to just put it all through the processor so they couldn't tell :)!!!

Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving to you,
    Granni
  7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I think the Jimmy Dean Sausage will do just fine. If using the sage flavored, obviously adjust spices accordingly--- any additional spices you may have wanted to add. I don't know the servings amount per se, but I can tell you that the dish I always use every year is 11x11x3 (I just actually measured it) and it is tightly packed once I place the stuffing in the dish.

I personally would not put mushrooms in the stuffing because even though I do like mushrooms alot, many people don't. Also, if you do add them to the stuffing, I would saute them seperately first because mushrooms can give off alot of liquid and could possibly make the stuffing soggy if thrown in raw and if you sauteed them in alittle butter or margarine (I use Smart Balance), it will give a little added flavor. The mushrooms may not appeal to the little ones either. But everybody has their own personal taste; I do not care for raisins in the stuffing, but my mom has been using them in her recipe for years!

Enjoy and a truly Happy Thanksgiving!

Laura
  8. Granniluvsu

Thanks for stuffing tips. Yes, if I use the sage stuffing i waonpt need to add any additional. That reinfs me I am not sure how much pultry seasoing I havae. However, the mixes for the stuffing mix has al ot of the spice in it, at least for the Pepperidge farm.

I may use the mushrooms for another time over the weekend. I think the company will be gone by some time Saturday and definatly Sunday.

BTW, do you make mashed potatoes with it, just curious. I love it with gravy but am getting lazy. Will have to at least peal the potatoes the day or night before. If you do, do you prepare or fix the potatoes for mashing before hand. I used to but haven't had to do the Thanksgiving thin in a few years. Some people cook it before and mash and put in crock pot. I haven't done that but it might be a good idea, one less thing to do at the last.

Blessings to you and your family again !

Granni