Hollistic Doctors in NJ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by janasw1, Mar 12, 2007.

1. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

I live in North Jersey...
    I was seeing doctor Steinfeld for a while, if anyone's heard of him (natural guy)...
    He told me to stop seeing him about a year ago because of a miscommunication, (I was told to come in once a week for IV vitamin C therapy...he thought he told me twice a week, he said he didn't want a patient who wouldn't help herself, he made me cry and really made me distrust the medical profession but anyway...)

...I want to start seeing someone alternative or hollistic or WHATEVER, someone who deals with chronic pain and fatigue and whatnot...

Does anyone know a good doctor in North Jersey (who's hopefully not too expensive?)
    Thanks in advance!

-Whitney
  2. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

Dr Bejamin H Natelson MD

Professor

University of MEdicine & Dentristry of NEw Jersey

Co-Director, Pain & Fatigue Study Center
    Director, CFS/FM Center
    Department of Neurology & Neurosciences
    Neuroscience; chronic fatigue syndrome; fibromyalgia; autonomic nervous system function; cytokines; sleep; orthostasis; neuroendocrine-immune system relationship; vagus nerve activity

He is my my cfs/fm doctor have been going to him for over a year,

He is one of the top doctors in the country and has a good book out.

Best of luck

wildflowers2
  3. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

he is at Newark NJ....a nice campus, nice people that actually know whats going on.

90 Bergen Street, Newark,NJ

I drive from near Allentown,PA to see him and it takes me about 1 1/2 hrs depending on traffic.

I love this doctor......I have seen my share fo quacks!

good luck let me know if you need anymore info.

Wildflowers2
  4. mcondon

mcondon New Member

He is in Somerset and is supposedly an expert in CFS. He has a web site. Do a search on Google on the words "podell cfs" and his site will come up. I don't know much about him, but it may be worth while to call his office to find out about his practice.

Sounds like your previous doctor was an a**hole.
  5. AquariusGirl

AquariusGirl New Member

Things to try down here:
    www.feellikeus.com (NAET and colonics)--Medford,NJ
    Magaziner Center for Wellness--Marlton,NJ (google it)
    Dr. Chung and Cooper Hospital (Accupuncture)--also google him

And/Or

FFC in King of Prussia,PA--very helpful

All these places are expensive but can be very helpful.
    The doctors are MDs who specialize in mainstream medincine and alternative medicine.

Good Luck and F*** that Dr for telling you not to come back.Very rude.

6. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Wildflowers2, do you see Natelson as a paying patient or as a research patient?

Also, do you see him or another member of his staff?

Has anything in particular you've tried through his suggestions helped you with pain or exhaustion?

best thoughts & good to know you found a good doc
  7. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

YEs, to both.... I am a paying patient. but also have been used for research.

You see Dr Natelson.....you only see staff IF you need
    blood work....

I have used Provigil for energy and works well.

New pain med is Ultram and works wonders...finally..

I, personally LOve this doctor.

The office is very professional and everyone is so helpful.

To me its worth the trip and the money.......

some of the quacks around here are only out for you $$$$$$$...

Or how good your insurance coverage is ...

good luck

Wildflowers2
  8. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

I'm actually seeing him now...... but he's not the doctor for me. He's SO anti EVERYTHING natural...everything he's put me on has been AWEFUL and he almost KILLED ME because of interactions...
    His staff is also ridiculously aweful at getting messages to and from...
  9. ephemera

ephemera New Member

janasw1,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems with Dr. Natelson & his office.

My primary doc also recently prescribed a med that is a big NO NO with another of my meds. Seems his program (all my info on laptop along with my prescription history) had a glitch. Fortunately I read the medication insert before I took the pills, called him & he was very embarassed & very,very upset with the software company. (Nothing like the old PDR to pull down from some shelf.)

I've also had several of my doctors be almost mystified when I mentioned taking Chinese medicine.

I wonder if this is the type of problem you encountered?
  10. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

He puts everyone on provigil i think all doctors have like a system or something.
    Did he try you on antidepressants first?
    I told him a hundred times I'M NOT DEPRESSED and antidepressants DON'T WORK FOR ME they only make me CRAZY...
    ...He made me try 3 anyway.

And he won't put me on pain meds...
    I don't really think he thinks about his patients at all he just gives out whatever works for OTHER patients...
  11. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

wow sorry you feel the way you do..but I am completely
    fine with his protocol.

with the reading I have done on anti depressants is that they try them as they can block the brains signals
    and help releive the floating pains.

I found his staff great and I alwasy get a call back from Dr Natelson. Not his staff but HIM.

I wish you better luck......all I know is he is heaven sent to me and has helped me a great deal.

wildflowers2
  12. ephemera

ephemera New Member

wildflowers2 & janasw1,

Seems like there is a difference of opinion & experience on the doctor & his staff.

Wildflowers2, I've been on tramadol for a few years now & have taken Neurontin since 2001. I wish there was something better for all of us, but I'm glad you found something helpful.

best thoughts to all
  13. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

Geez, seems like I just have bad luck with EVERY doctor I see...I was in the hospital because he put me on something and I couldn't get in touch with ANYONE for DAYS!
    Then when I finally got in touch with his nurse practitioner (sp?) they said they never got any calls or messages!

I feel better now...he's probably not a bad doctor after all, I just have BAD LUCK!!