hollydolly

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hollydolly, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Hollydolly

Hollydolly New Member

Drawing Disability -- can anyone help me? I worked for 9 years before my children were born. I've been a stay-at-home mom for 12 years and was trying to go back to work recently to help out with our enormous medical bills. The doctor told me flat out -- NO! See, I have fibromyalgia and was diagnosed about 4 weeks ago with Alzheimers. I'm only 39! Needless to say, this has been devasting news for me and my husband. I know that I didn't make alot of money when I worked, and then didn't work outside the home for 12 years, but now am unable to work. When I inquiry about disability, I'm looked upon like I'm looking for a handout and that we don't really need it. Can you draw disability under these circumstances? I hope no one else is in the same plight as I'm in, but would appreciate some help!
  2. kimkane

kimkane New Member

bumping for you dear
  3. gayle36

gayle36 New Member

Dear Holly,
    My step-mother had a massive stroke when she was only 54 years old. She had worked all her life - from age 16 up until she met my father. When she married him, she stopped working. Ten years after that she had the stroke. We ( I helped her) filed for disability numerous times (too many to count, actually) and were turned down each time because she had not work for 10 years prior to the stroke. Apparently in the state of Oklahoma (where we live) you have to have been working within 5 years of the onset of the disabling condition. Although my step-mother was very disabled, she could not draw because she had not paid into social security for 10 years. It has been so frustrating for us. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you can obtain disability. My best advise to you would be to get with a lawyer that deals with Social Security. Although that did not help us, perhaps it might help with your situation. May God Bless You!
    Gayle

[ advertisement ]