Home Economic Class

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeavenlyRN, Jun 25, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Ladies, and gents (if it applies)....

What is your funniest or worst memory of Home Ec. class?
  2. spacee

spacee Member

What was the other reason you were sent to the office? :)

There was no point in taking Home Ec. I started cooking at 13 and sewing at 14.
    Yep, my parents started us young!

3. victoria

victoria New Member

That's funny Spacee - we were required to take cooking in 7th grade/12 yo and sewing/13 yo.

Funniest memory was I couldn't quite sew a sleeve shoulder in to the blouse... the teacher finally got so frustrated with me, she took it and sewed it in. On the last stitch, she broke the machine needle. That was a HUGE no-no in the class, we were always warned to not do that LOL, and here she did it.

Actually funnier is the fact that I liked sewing anyway, made a lot of clothes in my lifetime.

Got sent to the Dean's office in HS because of something I made... not on the "approved list". My mom was mad cuz she had to bring me a dress, she didn't see anything wrong with what I was wearing. I could see the Dean rlling his eyes too, but I still got detention. Dress code was almost thrown out the next year, but a parent had to come to school to sign their child 'out' of the regulation. My mom did it for that reason, but still wouldn't let me wear jeans to school. :( By the following fall, no more dress code, too late for me.

How things change...
  4. spacee

spacee Member

I think your school were stricter than mine. And we didn't have home ec in jr. high...I think
    they didn't have the equipment. School was new...probably was added later.

One of my mother's church friends worked in the quidance office at HS. She wrote
    "parental negligent" in our folders...we checked ourselves out so much with forgergy.
    Those were the days!

5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

the teacher in Home Ec in 7th grade was a total stick in the mud.

Fridays were always test day and it was so quiet in the classroom. Someone "borrowed" a mouse from the science dept and let it go in the classroom. The teacher totally freaked out--she was screaming and even stood on the top of her desk.

It was hilarious.

No it was not me who brought in the mouse. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/27/2010]
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I thought people only stood on the furniture to escape a mouse in cartoons.

When I was a kid, we had Achievement Night! It was Open House to display all
    the wonderful work we had done during the past year. (I think I posted on this
    somewhere else recently, but I guess it doesn't matter.)

Some of the boys in shop made wonderful furniture, etc. The girls displayed
    their needle work by wearing it in a fashion show. It was about 55 years ago,
    but I still remember the narrator reading, "And here is Marlene Bigalk in her
    matching blouse and skirt ensemble. Suitable for casual wear or for lounging on
    the patio. Note the rick rack trim around the collar.

We didn't have a patio in our village. Don't even know if anyone knew what a
    patio was.

My mother remembered an incident from when she was in High School during the
    Great Depression. The Home Ec Girls were giving a display on nice table manners.
    One girl tried to cut a dill pickle with a fork. It shot across the stage like a
    green rocket. Most popular event of the evening.

As at all Minnesota functions, coffee and bars were served.

7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Victoria - Well, I too had to take 1/2 year of cooking and 1/2 year of sewing...We even had to make our own graduation dresses. Luckily, my MOM knew how to sew and finished it for me. Can't actually remember any really funny stories right now, like the mouse story, except that. I also don't know if I didn't finish the dress if they would have let me graduate or not :) !

Sewing is not really my thing even though I have sewed simple things on the machine for the kids when they were verylittle. I also do know how to sew on buttons and fix hems. My MOM showed me how to do that thankfully !

Oh yes, we had to make our own full apron, in sewwing class, which we could then wear for Cooking class. I remember mine was red with navy blue piping, I guess that is what you call the trim. Never wore an apron since, if I didn't have to :) !

Rock - I also remember the boys had to do wood shop. My DH swent to a private school andhe had to make something for woodshop. He made a cross for his parents that we still have. Actually, it was pretty nice looking for a kid !!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/27/2010]
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

neat re the treadle sewing machine. Just wondering - is it an antique or is there an 'updated' treadle model??

The next 2 questions may sound ridiculous but I know the Amish/Mennonites use them, so it makes me wonder: Does it have a reverse stitch? Can it do buttonholes?

I used to sew at home on the first Singer portable electric model - no backstitch, which was a pain! The cheap White machine I now have (after burning out accidentally my high end Pfaff (didn't use a surge protector, doh!!!) doesn't do buttonholes as well as the 2nd machine I had, Sears, that had a template. Neither did the Pfaff really, after a while. Wish I'd kept that Sears machine!

ETA: Granni, I'm sure glad we didn't have to make our graduation dresses! I wasn't the only one who totally refused to EVER wear that blouse we had to make. That would've been shear/sheer(?) torture, LOL, for all of us.

[This Message was Edited on 06/28/2010]
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

My mom had a Singer (I think) sewing machine that was pretty old too. It was not a treddle but she used her knee to make it go. She had to put in a gadget that she had to push to start the motor. Have you ever seen or used one of those?

Victoria - Thank God I didn't have to wear the dress that much but it didn't look that bad since mom finished it :) !! Maybe I wore it to church, I forget. That was when we used to have to dress up for church. Now it seems to be anything goes for church or almost every where else , or almost anything !

Hugs to y'all,

10. victoria

victoria New Member

We were not allowed to take our sewing projects home, they had to be completed in class. Which is why hardly any of us actually wore them; the only ones who did had Moms who were... well, cruel, IMHO! That was not an incentive to HAVE to wear the first piece of clothing one made!!! LOL.

I did a quick Google search, apparently at least Janome sells a new treadle machine with some different stitches plus buttonhole.

NOT cheap tho, over $200, and doesn't include the cabinet it needs to fit into nor the treadle! You'd think without the motor... it would be? I also saw a lot of posts about how to convert an electric one to treadle or hand wheel at least....
  11. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Of course we didn't like being in Home Ec. class. We all thought we were "above" having to take it. I remember having to make a little tote bag that we could fill with goodies and take with us when we went baby sitting. Ewwww!

However, I guess the worst thing we ever did was, after having made home made ice cream, we put some on our spoons and flicked it off the spoon in an effort to get it through the slats on the blinds on the windows. If I had heard that MY kid ever did anything like that I would have been mortified!! What thoughtless brats we were.