Home Owners Association whats your opinion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by carebelle, Nov 28, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

What do you all think of these.Ours wont even let us have a flag pole to fly an American Flag in our front yard.They are springing up all over its hard to find a really nice home with out a Home Owners Association.I think its UN American not to let us have a flag pole.
  2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

For the most part, I think they are only as good as the paper they are written on. At least ours is.

Not allowing a flag pole? I've lived in many nice areas and this rule, stinks! What can they do if you put one up? Really?

3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

that gives the ins and outs of homeowners associations and what they can and can't do legally. I don't know the name, but one of the ladies in our condo has it and is really up on the rules.

I don't think they can stop you from flying a flag...I understand not having signs for politicians, etc. but think your group has overstepped its bounds.

I'll try to get the name of the book....many of us have flag holders in our condo association....it's worth challenging.

4. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

about a woman who is getting fined 25$ a day for having a peace-sign shaped wreath up on her house for Christmas. It's some neighborhood in Colorado I think. The homeowner's association president says it is a satanic symbol and that it brings up anti-iraq war sentiments. Several people in the neighborhood are upset because they have family memebers serving in Iraq.

Isn't it taking it a bit far when you can't even have a peace-sign up at Christmas? Christmas is a time of peace...The woman said she wasn't even thinking anti-war or anything, she just put it up for the holidays. She plans on leaving it up because there's no excuse for that.

Fortunately the neighborhood my family lives in is too old to have a homeowner's association. A nearby neighborhood only allows you to have christmas lightbulbs up to a certain size (no big ones), no outdoor buildings, and no vehicles on your lawn. I guess we'd fail on all 3 accounts lol.

But really, isn't that taking it a bit far?

And to Carebelle, I think that is bad that you aren't allowed to have an american flag in your yard...kinda weird, really. What does it matter in the end what other people have on their houses as long as it's not promoting violence or things like that...crazyness.
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

we can have a flag on the house but Not a flag pole in the yard. My family has always had flag poles in our yard ever since my brother was in Viet Nam and my cousin killed there.
    It just seems like the HOA is un American taking away our freedom to put what we want in our yards.I understand no trash or broken down cars but a flag pole whos that hurt?
  6. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I have no idea :-\ Doesn't seem like it's hurting anyone to me...
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

our home owner book is really about two inches thick .we were given it and told its basically common sence if ya don't have time to read it ?yes we should have read it, but if I have learn anything it that common sence is a matter of opinion.

my flag poles would have flowers around them in honor of our military.Also they could have the requirement that they have to come down unless the new owners want it to stay.

As far as the case of the peace sign THIS IS AMERICA you should be able to express your beliefs.I may or may not agree but if the lady owned her home and the wreath its her right.

If someone worships the devil as long as they are not killing animals and dripping their blood its none of my business.(I will pray for them)

I would not be offended if a Jewish family or a Christian family had family traditions These differences are what make America Wonderful .A Flag is something we all can share.
    I'm sorry this post is mostly for America I forget sometimes this board goes world wide.
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

They're the good news and the bad.

Home Owners Associations are common when small building sites are used or when the developer wants to take advantage to the benefits of an Association. When I worked for a condo developer I learned a lot about these Rules and Regs. Many people like them because they help maintain the value of your property; that is, they like them until there's something they want to do and can't.

It becomes a problem when people buy a home in an Association and don't bother reading the Rules and Regs. They are always by law given a copy but they somehow don't think they apply to them. They find out otherwise but it's too late.

I like that no one can put a dog kennel next to my house, for example, but if there were rules that made me uncomfortable, I wouldn't buy in that development. It's too stressful to make changes. Also, Associaton Boards don't always know what they're doing but few people want to run for the board so you get stuck with the ones who make bad decisions.

Where I live there was a Great Debate about American flags that was finally resolved by specifing size, placement and that the flag must be in good condition. I think that's fair.

Carebelle, are you looking at a home where there's a Home Owner's Association or is there one where your current house is for sale?

9. mezombie

mezombie Member

Marta608, you wrote (sorry, had to copy & paste, memory is shot!):

"It's too stressful to make changes. Also, Associaton Boards don't always know what they're doing but few people want to run for the board so you get stuck with the ones who make bad decisions."

How true! I live in a condo, read the rules, abide by them, but OMG these people on the Board are a bunch of control freaks who relish the power they have over the owners! I just try to keep a low profile.

Carebelle, I'm so sorry you can't put up a flag pole. Do the rules allow you to fly a flag from a holder next to your front door? Or maybe there' some other way to display a flag without violating the rules?

I hope you can work something out.

10. carebelle

carebelle New Member

We are selling this home hopefully soon so we can move to Ohio.Things are going slow.I hope we can find a nice home and have a flag pole.Just something that does have special meaning for me.
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

They call them Condo Commandos! lol

12. mezombie

mezombie Member

Condo Commandos! Perfect! I'll have to pass that one on to my disgruntled neighbors!