Home Sweet Home: Song Game

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Mar 27, 2015.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Since this is the Homebound Board, how about posting songs that have the word Home, House, or any type of Building, as well as any part of a home's structure, in the title or lyrics?

Example:

"Home Sweet Home" From the 1823 opera, 'Clari' by John Howard Payne, lyrics by Payne, melody by Sir Henry Bishop.

"In a Shanty in Old Shanty Town" Lyrics by Ted Lewis, 1932, sung by Lewis/Doris Day and others.
  2. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Home is where the heart is.
    gb66 likes this.
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

"Fiddler on the Roof" Broadway musical/lots of good songs.

"Bless This House" Beautiful hymn sung by Perry Como.

"Home on the Range" A classic western song.

"Little Grass Shack" Song about a home in Kealakekua, Hawaii.

"Doggie in the Window" Sung by Patti Page.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Keep the Home Fires Burning. This song was written by the Welsh Ivor Novello
    at the beginning of WW I. He was 21 years old. He lived a show biz life as an actor,
    composer, playwright. He was a contemporary of Noel Coward who was also a
    composer, actor, playwright. Even though they were competitors, they were also
    good friends.

The Old House sung by John McCormack and many others.

The House I Live in. Really a song about America rather than a house. Recorded
    by Paul Robson and Frank Sinatra. A short film of the song won an Academy
    Award.

House of the Rising Sun. A song collected by Alan Lomax who collected folk music
    for the Library of Congress. Recorded by several country western folks, Joan Baez,
    and the Animals.

And a Christmas favorite Perry Como used to sing. There's No Place Like Home
    for the holidays.

Rock
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, "The House I Live In" was one of the songs we sang in chorus when I was in Jr. High. Most of the songs we learned back then were patriotic or spiritual. A different time.

Each day we said the pledge of allegiance and repeated The Lord's Prayer every moring. Then the president of our class read a scripture verse. We were led over the intercom. The flag was raised at the first bell and lowered each day at the last bell while a student played the bugle.

We also performed a beautiful musical program on what was then called Armistice Day. It's now Veteran's Day, still on Nov.11th.

We sang a bunch of WW1 and other songs. When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again, Over There, Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree, White Cliffs of Dover, America the Beautiful, God Bless America, Lady Liberty, National Anthem, This is My Country, Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor, America I Love You and more. These are great memories! GB
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  6. rockgor

Hi GB

Yes, it was a different time indeed. And better in so many ways. We used to
    sing many of the same songs and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Well, same
    time period for the two of us.

It's a Grand Old Flag by George M. Cohan. You're the emblem of, the
    one I love, the home of the free and the brave.

Oh, oh! Computer is acting up. Have to try again later.

Rock
  7. rockgor

OK, we'll see if this thing has healed up.

"Shutters and Boards" cover the windows of the house where we used to live.
    Walking My Baby Back Home
    Green, Green Grass of Home.

Seeing Nellie Home
    Home on the Range Oops! You already got that one. I see you also have
    Little Grass Shack in Kealakekua, Hawaii. Funny. I remembered it as
    Little grass hut. Your memory was better than mine.

Take Me Home, Country Roads.

Rock
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

"This Old HOUSE" Loretta Lynn/Rosemary Clooney

"Come On a My HOUSE" Rosemary Clooney

"Four WALLS" Jim Reeves

"Open the DOOR Richard" Recorded in 1947.

"Up On The ROOFTOP" Santa Song

"CHURCH in the Wildwood" by Kitty Wells

"Over the River and Through the Woods" to grandmother's HOUSE we go....
  9. rockgor

Hey GB

Remember "The Green Door"? Big hit about tenth grade. I remember dancing
    to it.

Waiting for the Evening Train. "You'll be cozy in a cottage small. The kind they
    always build around a waterfall." By Schwartz and Dietz who also wrote Dancing
    in the Dark. Used to have the Ray Conniff recording. (It's on Youtube.)

You'd be so Nice to Come Home to. A Cole Porter number.

Back Home Again in Indiana. Jim Nabors used to sing this song at the opening
    of the Indianapolis 500 races every year for decades.

And from the Civil War, "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again".

Rock
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I do remember that song The Green Door. Did they ever find out what was behind it? :)

I think it's time to start a new song game. I'm trying to come up with a topic that we haven't had, if it exists! GB
  11. rockgor

Songs that mention travel or movement?

On this post we have House of the Rising Sun; When Johnny Comes Marching Home;
    No Place Like Home for the Holidays; Don't Sit under the Apple Tree; Give Me Your
    Tired, Your Poor; Walking My Baby Back Home; You'd Be So Nice to Come Home to;
    Over the River and etc; Open the Door, Richard. Seeing Nellie Home, Take Me
    Home, Country Roads, etc.

And others such as Don't Fence Me In. "Give me land, lots of land.
    The Bus Stop song: I'll give to you a paper of pins.
    C'mon A My House.
    Love Me or Leave Me.
    California, Here I Come.
    Pistol Packin' Mama; lay that pistol down.

Whaddya think?

As for the Green Door, the lyrics tell us that laughter and piano music can be heard,
    so apparently folks are having a good time. There's also a reference to smoke.
    Probably tobacco. I don't think marijuana was part of the culture back in the
    late 50s.

Rock
    Oh, that reminds me. Rock Around the Clock.
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

We did one on travel once I think. I remember something about cars, planes, trains, etc. I'll check it out. GB
  13. rockgor

Hi GB

Yup, we already did travel. See page 5. I had in mind motion such as "Lay
    that pistol down" from the old song Pistol Packing Mama. Or Give Me a
    Little Kiss. Or the Hokey Pokey song.

But I figured if we started with motion it would segue into travel.

You wanna try special days? Not formal holidays but things like birthdays,
    weddings, anniversaries, graduation? Don't know if there are too many
    of those.

Animals? Did we already do that? Ok, I checked. We did. I think the
    Woody Woodpecker song was popular the year we were born.

Well, I'll have to cogitate on it.

Rock
  14. Willow77

Willow77 Active Member

I have one that I listened to a lot in my teen years. It was an oldie back then in the early 70's . It is Speedball by Ray Stevens. It is a song on motion like Rock mentioned in another post. I can't think of any about home.

I have really bad brain fog and am in a flare so it is worse than usual. I found the lettuce in the freezer and the almond butter that is supposed to go in the fridge in the cabinet. I was afraid to tell my husband that I lost the remote again but fortunately found it in the dogs toy basket. My hubby is a world class finder of lost things but he is tired of looking for the remote. He once spent 8 hours looking for my wedding ring which had slipped of my finger somewhere in the house. I gave up after the first hour. It is now safely in a box with his wedding ring and a gold locket with a diamond in it that he gave me for our anniversary many years ago.
  15. rockgor

Hi Willow

Hope your flare is short lived. I had brain fog for about 20 years. Then it segued
    into Alzheimer's. It's really amazing. I pick stuff up; put it down; and somehow it
    vanishes.

Did you tell hubby the remote was in the dog's basket because the dog had been
    watching The Dog Whisperer?

Rock
  16. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, The motion idea is good. I'll have to think harder to come up with some of those! You've added a lot of songs. Very good, you get an A+ . :)

Willow, I have trouble with my short term memory too. My long term seems to be okay. Sometimes I can't remember if I'd had my shower and have to go look to see if my towel is gone!

I get distracted so easily. I have to really concentrate to do any tasks. If I'm cooking, I can't carry on a conversation or even have anyone in the kitchen with me.

I write down all my medications as I take them or I'd not be able to remember what I took. Yet, I can remember things clearly from my childhood as far back as 4 years old. Go figure. :) GB
  17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Willow, I moved your post over to the Keep It Movin' thread. GB
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  18. Willow77

Willow77 Active Member

Thanks GB,

I must have the short term memory thing too but I am finding more and more of the long term memory has holes in it too.

The flare is letting up a lot. I think in the spring I am going out to the garden a lot and have to navigate a ramp to the backyard. These old knees don't do stairs anymore so we have a dog ramp for large dogs to get in and out of a van, so that I can use that to get down the two stairs. The dog was more afraid of the ramp than of jumping into the van. (He is a great dog except for being afraid of stairs.) We found out later that he has something wrong with his eyes.

They are too small for the sockets so he may have limited vision so that maybe he doesn't have the depth perception to properly navigate stairs and so stumbles and trips and that makes him afraid to hurt himself. But he is afraid of the ramp too so I use it to go outside. It basically moves the pain from my knees doing stairs to my hips from using the ramp. I can handle the pain better in my hips. I have to have someway to get out to the strawberry patch and in about another few weeks it will be blackberries and blueberries. I am in and out all day. I go out but forgot my hat and sunglasses so it is back up the ramp to get them. Then I forgot the bowl for the strawberries, so back up and down the ramp. Then a lot of bending over and well there is lots of pain in the spring using muscles that haven't been used that way since last fall.

Rock this dog when he was a puppy was not much of a chewer but he did once get my wallet out of my purse and somehow managed to get my credit card out of my wallet. We kid and say that he may have been watching the home shopping channel and planning on ordering something. I also once found my cellphone that had been missing for 3 weeks in his toy basket so who knows. He isn't taking the remote or phone, they just happen to fall off tables or ironing boards and land there. I am looking for them on the floor and don't even think of looking in the basket.

I keep my meds in the Sunday - Saturday weekly things because I wouldn't remember what I took when. I have so many prescriptions and supplements I couldn't keep them straight any other way. That way I only have to remember them once a week while filling them.

I can't multi-task like I used to or I find myself just standing still staring into space wondering what it was I was going to do. I can be standing in front of the microwave with my finger out just staring and then realize I was there to punch the buttons to make tea, teapot already filled and in the microwave and just couldn't remember how much time to put in. I have always been a little ditzy but now it is much worse now.
  19. rockgor

Hi Willow, That's interesting about the dog and the vision problem. A friend
    at my old office had a 'special needs kids'. She showed me a picture of him.
    He was standing in the sunlight in a park and reaching with his toe to test
    the ground that was in the shadow. He had trouble perceiving if they were on
    the same level.

Our boss had surgery for a brain tumor. After that he had trouble walking on
    stairs or over ground if there were shadows, from tree branches for example.

I seem to be getting more and more clumsy. Smashed my head into a dresser
    two days ago when I was straightening up. Kinda like Laurel and Hardy. And
    I dropped a bottle of pills. A hundred or so Rolaids on the floor! And a couple
    weeks ago I slammed my hand into the microwave when I was attempting to
    put a dish in it. Broke a thumbnail. Didn't matter much, I guess. I had
    to give up my dreams of becoming a hand model after arthritis enlarged my
    knuckles a couple decades ago.

Come round and join in our musical games whenever you feel up to it. :p

Rock