Homemade cleaners for those trying to eliminate toxin exposure & save money

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by twitch_64, Feb 16, 2009.

1. twitch_64

twitch_64 New Member

___________________________________________________________________________________________
    ***SAFETY WARNING!!!***
    ***DO NOT MIX ANY OF THESE CLEANERS WITH CHLORINE BLEACH, BLEACH PRODUCTS (Comet, Ajax), OR ACID TOILET BOWL PRODUCTS!!!***

Dusting Spray
    1 Tbs Olive or almond oil
    1/2 c. white vinegar
    12 oz. water to fill a 16 oz. spray bottle (double the recipe for a 32 oz. spray bottle, the 16 oz. ones are harder to find)
    Flannel cloths

Shake every time before you spray, spray on a flannel cloth and wipe as needed. (I found some inexpensive flannel cloths in the automotive department at the dollar stores in a roll of 4 or 5 I think.) Not to be sprayed directly on wood surfaces, but if the surface is varnished well I don't think it would hurt, I'm just passing on the instructions that I found with the recipe. Sometimes it takes a little elbow grease, but it dissolves the buildup and does not harm paint or varnished surfaces.

This recipe works great on the greasy, gray, sticky buildup on kitchen cupboards, kitchen chairs, etc., but it's also a great general dusting spray like Endust without an waxy buildup. It makes the dust stick to the cloth instead of going airborne and leaves a nice clean sheen on the wood.

All Purpose Spray (neutral) can be used almost anywhere
    1/4 c. white vinegar
    1 Tbs baking soda
    1/8 tsp. dish soap
    water to fill 32 oz. bottle

Heavy Duty All Purpose Spray (alkaline for grease) Stove tops, pots, pans, etc.
    1/2 c. clear ammonia (if you don't want to use the ammonia, you can double the amount of baking soda.)
    1 Tbs baking soda
    1/8 tsp dish soap if the ammonia does not sud

This also works well on the sticky buildup on chairs, cupboard doors, etc.

Bathroom Spray (acidic for disinfecting, water deposits, soap scum, mold, chrome fixtures, porcelain, but not good for aluminum)
    1/2 c. white vinegar
    1/2 c. lemon juice
    1/8 tsp. dish soap

Window Cleaner
    1/4 c. vinegar or 1/4 c. ammonia or both
    1/4 c. rubbing alcohol
    1/8 tsp. dish soap

Microwaves
    Fill coffee mug or glass bowl 1/2 full of water, can add 1 tsp. baking soda. Cook for 2-5 minutes on high then let set at least 10 minutes. Should wipe right out.

Oven
    Place glass bowl or rectangular dish with 1-2 cups ammonia, let sit over night. Should soak into burnt on grease/food and be soft enough to remove in morning. Be careful opening door in morning, the fumes will be strong. Vinegar in water to rinse will neutralize and prevent smell when oven is used next.

Coffee Maker
    Pour in 1 qt of white vinegar and run through brewing cycle. Removes water deposits and buildup. Follow with plain water brewing cycle to rinse.

Dishwasher
    Pour one large jar of Tang orange juice drink in bottom of dishwasher, set on pots/pans/scrubber cycle and it will remove dried on food particles, water spots, detergent residue from the inside so your dishes come out cleaner. Run a plain water cycle afterwards to rinse. Remember to clean the seals and around the door or food particles will get back in quickly.

Dishwasher Detergent (does not sud)
    1 Tsp washing soda
    1 Tsp Mule Team borax
    fill rinse dispenser with white vinegar

Baked/Burnt/Fried/Grease residue on pans (Not Aluminum)
    Sprinkle baking soda in pan, add water, set on stove and cook med to med-high until crud is loosened. (stainless steel, glass, porcelain pots and pans) This also works by letting it set in the sink until the residue is loosened and it will scrub right out.

Hard Floor Cleaner
    1 c. white vinegar for tile, wax, no wax or hardwood floors
    or
    1 c. ammonia for tile, no wax or removing wax buildup (Ammonia will remove the wax you have applied on wax flooring.)
    1/4 tsp. dish soap
    1-2 gallons hot water in bucket

Scuff Mark Cleaner works great on waxable composite tiles
    Baking soda
    Damp sponge

Dip damp sponge in soda, scrub floor & rinse. Takes a little elbow grease but it comes off. For a no wax or varnished hardwood floor, use a tennis ball but be careful of removing the finish.

Crayon Marks, Ink Stains
    Rubbing Alcohol (test area first, could fade or remove varnish)

Toilet Bowl Cleaner
    1 c. white vinegar to bowl, let sit then swish. Sit over night if you have hard water & scrub.
    1/2 c. borax works too if no hard water and stain buildup

Powdered Laundry Soap (does not sud, ok for front loaders)
    1 c. grated fels naptha, kirks castile, ivory pure, homemade lye bar soap (parmesan fine grate)
    1 c. A&H washing soda
    1 c. Mule Team borax
    1 c. Baking Soda if you have hard water
    Mix together, use 1-3 Tbs per load

Liquid Laundry Soap (does not sud, ok for front loaders)
    1/3 c. grated bar soap
    1/3 c. A&H washing soda
    1/3 c. Mule team borax

Melt soap in pot of 8 cups water, once dissolved, add soda, then borax. Heat until thick, add 8 more cups hot water then pour in gallon jug or bucket with lid. Shake frequently and use 1/4-1/2 cup per load. (put in empty laundry detergent bottle to use) Depending on the type of soap you use, this may appear to separate and form gel chunks. It's ok to use like this, just shake it up before you dispense into a measuring cup.

Fabric Softener
    1/4-1/2 c. white vinegar per load to soften in dispenser or downey ball (put in empty fabric softener bottle to use) You can add essential oils, but the scent doesn't seem to last through the rinse cycle. The clothes seem to come out with a fresh clean smell anyway.

Laundry Stain Remover
    Use bar of fels naptha, zote or lye soap as a stain stick to pre treat
    or
    2 Tbs Washing soda
    2 Tbs Mule Team
    1/2 cup liquid laundry soap
    water to fill a 32 oz. spray bottle (option: can add a scoop of oxygen bleach powder too)

Blood stains
    Hydrogen peroxide straight in a spray bottle for blood stains

Musty or Crusty Washer
    Pour 1 gallon white vinegar, set on hot water and run longest cycle (or shut off to let sit and soak) to clear machine of deposits & musty smells.

Fabric Refresher (febreeze) Air Freshener
    1-2 c. white vinegar
    1/8 c. rubbing alcohol
    1 tsp lavender essential oil
    water to fill 16-32 oz. bottle (put the rubbing alcohol by itself in measuring cup and add the lavender & stir, then add the rest to the bottle. The rubbing alcohol dissolves the oil so its not sitting on the surface of the other ingredients. You can take rubbing alcohol and add essential oils, put in a bottle with some skewers and make your own air freshener like you see in the stores)

Spray on fabric until slightly damp, making sure not to over wet fabric. The smell of the vinegar will dissipate and the smells should be gone. Vinegar is said to help get rid of smoking odors. Test on inconspicuous place to make sure it will not harm fabric. I've used this on sofas, curtains, bedding, area rugs, dog bedding, etc and not had any problems with spots or fading. I use this stuff as an air freshener as well. A solution of baking soda and water will also remove some odors.

Air Freshener
    Add a little water and a few drops of your favorite essential oils to an oil or potpourri burner or purchase an essential oil diffuser you plug into an outlet and place a few drops of EO on the pad to freshen a room and lift your spirits.

Bugs
    Straight white vinegar in a spray bottle will kill most bugs.

Weeds
    Straight white vinegar in a spray bottle will kill most weeds. Soak well but know it will kill anything it's sprayed on.
    Salt poured near the roots of a plant will kill it. Too much and nothing will grown in this area for many years.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    That's pretty much all you need to take care of the basics in your whole house. There are many more recipes for things you can make like furniture polish/wax for an unvarnished piece of furniture, etc. Search the web to find what else you may need.

Here's to a healthier, wealthier and happier future to us all!

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2009]
  2. klcooper

klcooper New Member

Thanks, I've been buying cleaners that are non toxic, will have to try some of these. They are standard products and may just add a little to my grocery bill but alot to my family's heath!! Thanks for posting.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/16/2009]
  3. twitch_64

twitch_64 New Member

4. twitch_64

twitch_64 New Member

to your grocery bill, but a gallon of white vinegar is like 3-4 bucks, baking soda, a dollar, etc. The great news is how far it stretches, when you divide out the price per ounce that you are using in one spray bottle, its always less than a dollar per quart/32 oz.

However, look what you at spend, from 2-5 dollars for a bottle of the store bought stuff, especially the so called non toxic products that contain SLS or sodium laureth/laurel sulfates, which is derived from coconuts but is a known carcinagen because they have isolated a single compound from the natural fruit. Those brands are more expensive than the name brand items. This is what makes it less expensive while also being better for you and your children, your pets and the environment. The extra little bit you spend on groceries, you more than triple your savings on what you don't spend on cleaning products.

You can even save more by going to the dollar stores and buying their store brand white vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda, rubbing alcohol, ammonia, etc.

5. sammyjones

sammyjones New Member

Hey thanks for the tip on buying from the dollar store! That is one of those simple ideas that never struck me, but could save a bundle. Looks like I will be visiting the Dollar Tree this weekend, lol. I started making some of these homemade cleaners, http://homemadecleaners.net , and so far the savings have been pretty good but now they will be even better.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2009]
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

I've pretty much eliminated most cleaning products since I started using a good quality microfibre cleaning cloth. For extra tough stains I use baking soda along with the cloth. When dusting, I get the cloth slightly damp and that picks up all the dust without it flying around through the air. It will even clean the grease off the windows from the BBQ without using any Windex or amonia.
  7. simpsons

simpsons Member

thank you for posting this very useful alternatives to cleaning fluids etc

i.ve found out that cutting them out of my life has helped tremendously with headaches and symptoms didn.t realize this til i cut them out now i have a sudden and very obvious reaction to them from aftershaves to bleach

i think its a very important step to giving your body a chance to heal itself

again thank you
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I think there is only one you missed! You can use regular peroxide for carpet stains, and to clean around the faucets, shower heads, etc. just put it in a spray bottle, spray it on the base of the facets let it sit for a few minutes. It will foam up, then just wipe it off, and all the 'gunk' is gone. It eats anything that is food borne, or pet accidents. Great for spills on carpets, just spray it, let stand till it stops foaming, and wipe it. It works great on clothes too.

I live with vinegar, baking soda, and peroxide for cleaning. I have chemical sensitivities. Sure saves your sinuses, headaches, and your lungs!

Thanks for all the ones I didn't know.

Shalom, Shirl
  9. kat211

kat211 New Member

I am not a supporter of ammonia at all as it is both caustic and hazardous.

I use white vinegar and water for most of my cleaning needs. If I need an abrasive I used baking soda. It works great in the bathtub and kitchen sink. Vinegar is also great added to laundry.

You can also use borax for a lot of household tasks, and it is a pest deterrant. A paste of borax, dish soap, and water not only cleans tough jobs, but it can kill mold.

If you have a problem with ants or other pests, you can use soybean oil.

All of the things I have mentioned are not only safe to use around children, pets, and adults, but they are environmentally friendly and non-caustic.

I just stocked up and this is what I paid. Because I am using vinegar for weed control, I will be going through it rather quickly.
    A giant bag of baking soda is $3.
    2 Gallons of White Vinegar was less than $6.
    a gigantic thing of soybean oil - $11.

These 3 items, along with borax, can be used for household cleaning, laundry, yard care, pest control, and variety of other uses. Not only are they very inexpensive, but they are good for the environment and they are not noxious chemicals that will cause reactions in those of use with sensitivities.

On a side note, I have the greenest weed-free most lucious lawn for blocks. I do not use any chemicals on it. I use boiling water and vinegar to kill weeds. (sorry, i had to brag about my lawn b/c all of the guys on my street are jealous of this single-mom's lawn and it makes me laugh b/c I don't really do much to it. That and I pay someone else to mow it b/c I just don't have the energy for it.)

10. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Thanks for the cleaning solution recipes. What is mean by dish soap in several of the recipes?
    Thanks, Theresa
  11. elliespad

elliespad Member

Kat211, can you elaborate how you use boiling water and white vinegar to kill you weeds? Will it kill the grass too if I get it on it? Thanks.