homemade Gookinaid?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dlebbole, May 1, 2003.

1. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Hello all

I am in the middle of chemotherapy for breast cancer, but have had CFS for many years as well. I ordered and have used Gookinaid to try to get hydrated and have found it works very well. I always feel better when I drink it - for me, it's much more effective than all the water I can drink. I know that some of you have homemade recipes with no sugar. I'd like to try them, since I'm trying to cut out sugar (although I tolerate it now). Can anyone help? Diane
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Bumpity, bump, bump :)

Love, Mikie
  3. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

desertlily

Homemade Gookinaid 02/26/03 12:42 PM

I found a recipe for homeade Gookinade on one of the CFIDS sites somewhere and it has helped me a lot with my problems with NMH. Here it is:
    4 cups seltzer water (club soda)
    4 cups water
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp salt replacement (potassium)
    Stevia to taste (I use 1-2 tsp)
    herbal tea bag for flavor if you want

(I have to confess, I use a half packet of unsweetened Kool-aid, if you don't want to use all of those artificial colors, then you could try it plain or with the herbal tea). In case you haven't heard of it, (I hadn't before this) Stevia is a herbal sweetener that is nothing like Nutrasweet or the others, supposed to be safe for us to take. You can usually find it at health food stores.

Anyway, I try to drink about a liter of that first thing in the morning when I seem to have the most problems with my blood pressure and it seems to help some, at least I'm not flat on my back! Hope this helps.

4. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

I appreciate it very much! I emailed the Gookinaid guy and he said that the sugar is a necessary part of the mix to ensure that it is absorbed properly. I will try your recipe and see for myself! Diane
  5. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

He's referring to the fact that the sugar is already in the form of glucose, which makes it immediately ready for absorption by the body.

For what it's worth V-8 juice has most of the necessary electrolytes, too. I drink the low-salt version, but you may need the extra salt; I don't know what you're allowed.

My doctor told me that Gookinaid also supposedly had magnesium in it. I bought some but had to return it because it had an allergy for corn warning on the label.

Good luck with the recipe,

Lane

[This Message was Edited on 05/02/2003]