Homemade Granola

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by skyeone, Jan 10, 2009.

1. skyeone

skyeone New Member

Most of you won't remember me, I haven't exactly been around much in the last 3 years. Deciding to pop back in, I thought I'd share my favorite very flexible recipe for homemade granola. It tastes like Quaker Harvest Crunch, and is a great healthy way to start the day. Quite frankly, I find it a good afternoon snack as well when sprinkled on a bowl of yogurt :). Without further ado, here is the recipe!:

9 cups old fashioned oats (quick oats don't work, I know, I've tried it...lol)
    4 cups coconut
    1/2 cup each hazelnuts and slivered almonds (or any variety of nuts you prefer)
    3/4 cup honey
    1-1/2 cup vegetable oil (melted butter or peanut oil works well too)
    1 cup golden raisins (I use dried cranberries)
    1 cup dark raisins
    1/2 cup chopped dates (I'm not fond of dates, so I omit this and increase raisins and cranberries accordingly)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss oats, coconut and nuts in large bowl. I also use 2 Tablespoons of Cinnamon and a teaspoon of nutmeg. Whisk honey and oil till well blended and stir into oat mixture. Pour into two 9x13 inch cake pans and bake for 35-45 minutes or until nicely golden, making sure you stir frequently. I've found that it needs to be stirred every 5 minutes after it's baked for 20 minutes! When done and cooled, dump back into your large bowl and add fruit.

I've used walnuts and pecans instead of hazelnuts, but kept the almonds in with them. Having all four of those nuts tastes quite good as well and makes it more filling and healthier. I just use 1/2 cup of each nut I want but I don't adjust anything else other than amount of fruit. I'll sometimes add 1/2 cup of dried mango or other dried fruits, but I never omit the raisins and cranberries. I just put them in, in place of the dates.

This recipe cuts in half easily if you want to try a smaller amount before making the full thing. It's very versitile and takes to changes quite nicely. Play with it however you like, maybe you'll come up with something I haven't tried and can let me know your thoughts and suggestions!

The reason I'm posting this recipe is because ever since I cut bought cereals from my diet, along with margarine and bleached white flour products, my health has increased immensly. I haven't had a big flare-up in over a year, and am actually back to working part time! I'm not claiming this as a cure for FM, but it certainly helps to get back to a natural diet and get rid of all the processed foods that seem to encourage flare-ups.
  2. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

Do you think aguave' nectar would work as well as the honey ?

Thank you for posting the recipe .

3. skyeone

skyeone New Member

You're very welcome, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

4. skyeone

skyeone New Member

I really wouldn't know, I've never tried nectar for anything. I guess you'll just have to try it yourself and let me know :)

Out of curiousity, what exactly is aguave' nectar? I haven't even come across it before.

By the way, I have substituted Demorara sugar for the honey, and that still tastes as good, it's just not quite as sweet then.

I hope the nectar works for you,