Homeopathics for sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by connieaag, Apr 23, 2007.

1. connieaag

connieaag New Member

Just wondering what homeopathic things anyone might be using for sleep. My daughter sees a naturopath and the sleep is better, but still not great. I'm curious what treatments we might try.

She has/is using Seditol Plus, TPIN Pineal Complex, Gammadyn, and Olive.

Thanks, Connie
  2. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I have used a product called Nelson's Sleep Aid with good results. It's in a green tube and contains homeopathic pellets made from a combination of remedies.

I buy mine at Safeway but have seen it at many health food stores.

Jan
  3. hob

hob New Member

and have found that taking valerian root and melatonin really help me sleep. the Valerian root relaxes the body and melatonin helps the relax the brain... she may want to also try acupunture. It worked wonders for me
  4. connieaag

connieaag New Member

She has been doing that 3x a week and is now down to once a week. It really does help and I think now that she is completely off Prozac -- as of today -- if a few ays that may help the sleep too.

She has tried Valerian tea -- the smell is awful! Is that how you take it? She uses the viles of pellets for a couple things as well, but not sleep.

Thanks for the ideas. We tried Melatonin while she was on prescription drugs, but not since she has been off all of them.
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Connie,

Right now I'm finding that FolaPro, a folate supplement, is helping my sleep a lot.

FolaPro is just folic acid, but converted through a patented process into a version that the body is supposed to make on its own. Apparently a lot of CFS sufferers have problems converting folic acid into folate, and this causes difficulties with sleep and other things.

The supplement is part of the methylation protocol that is the subject of a bunch of threads currently near the top of the board, but I wouldn't recommend that you try to learn about it by going through all of them. That would be pretty confusing insofar as your goal is just to give the body the nutrients it needs to calm down and get good sleep.

Dr. Cheney recommends FolaPro to some of his patients too, for this same purpose.

My experience is that the trick for sleep is to take just a tiny bit of it. Like one pill, crushed, will last me a whole month. Other people have resulted similar results.

I like this because it seems to me that it's working by fixing the reason I'm not getting good sleep. If my sleep really is disturbed because my brain is short on folate and if I can supply it with the folate it needs, then it's getting to the root of my problem. Anything else (including herbs or homeopathics) more seem to be trying to patch over it, which always seems to me to be less preferable.

I'm very happy to hear about moving off the Prozac and hope Kat does well without it. As you say, that in itself may help her sleep a lot.

Best, Lisa

[This Message was Edited on 04/23/2007]
  6. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Connie,

I use calcium lactate and magnesium asporotate to help me get to sleep.

And I've been taking the FolaPro for a little over a month, and it helps me sleep more deeply. It is wonderful!!!

I also take just a tiny bit of it.

Yes, Jaminhealth, Lisa and I are at the moment grinding the pill into powder and then dipping one finger into the powder and getting the right dose that way.

You need what you need. It makes sense to take whatever dose gives you the benefits without the bad side effects.

As you may know, it's really common for people with CFS to be sensitive to meds and supplements.

If you take more than what you need of FolaPro, it will cause you to detox too fast, and that is unpleasant. We don't need that kind of additional stress.

The full recommended dose of FolaPro for CFS patients is 1/4 pill. Some people who aren't sensitive to supps/meds are taking that much. But the pills are hard to cut exactly. It's a lot easier to crush them.

Yes, I am waking up feeling more rested. I'm also dreaming like crazy. It's an amazing feeling to have restorative sleep after 17 years without it.

Love,
    Forebearance
  7. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Hi guy's..where can I find this product?

GigglePoet
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I got my FolaPro from Amazon. It was $30 for 120 tablets. I think this works out to 25 cents per tablet, or (at the "dose" I'm taking), less than one cent per day. Other than giving up sugar, this makes it my least expensive CFS treatment of all time!

I don't know if I would say that the FolaPro gives "refreshing" sleep in the same way that Klonopin does. It's not as controlled. With a big dose of Klonopin, I reliably wake up within 6-8 hours feeling pretty good (unless something extraordinary is going on).

FolaPro more makes me as sleepy as my body "needs" to be. This means that sometimes I will feel sleepy the whole day, and get 12+ hours of sleep. In the short term, this can seem like life is slipping away. But in the long term I think it's a good thing, at least for me. Especially if we're aiming toward full recovery (which I think Kat is), giving our bodies as much help with regard to resting and rejeuvenating as possible could be the most important thing we can do, I think.

I have no idea whether this is a treatment that will work for most people, or even how long I myself will take it. Thus far I've found it really helpful though.

Best, Lisa
  9. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Yeah, I think the FolaPro is pretty harmless to experiment with. My doctor seemed to think that at least it couldn't hurt me.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should say that I'm also taking a tiny bit of Intrinsi B-12/Folate and a Perque B-12 sublingual tablet. Those are two of the other supps recommended by Rich Van K. I love them all!

Forebearance
  10. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Connie,

I use homeopathic remedy called Calm Forte by Hylands. Other non-homeopathic products I use include: Deep Sleep by Herbal Medicine, a freeze-dried calcium magnesium powder called Calm, and 4 mg. melatonin.

I also massage my head and neck with a massager for a couple of minutes within an hour of going to bed.

Regards, Wayne
  11. connieaag

connieaag New Member

with her NP, so I printed this off and will discuss adding something else. Thanks for the ideas!

Sweet Dreams to all :)
  12. connieaag

connieaag New Member

Since Kathryn is completely off Prozac, she wanted to start 5-HTP and 5-MTHF. Both should hep with sleep. The 5-MTHF by Thorne is a Folic Acid -- FYI for those crushing pills (lol)
  13. connieaag

connieaag New Member

if they are the same. Thorne are a capsule with a white powder in them.
  14. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Connie,
    A good thing to use is Tazo calm tea. You can get this at starbucks or Albertsons. I'm sure other places also. I drink this in the evening. You can do a message search, and find info here from people that use it, and kids that use it.

I also use Ionic Fizz (flavored magnesium). It really helps you relax before bed for a better sleep.

Good Luck!
    kbak
  15. connieaag

connieaag New Member

We have the Clam tea. Thanks for the reminder, I forgot about it!