Homeopathy- can it work for serious illness?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by herbqueen, Apr 9, 2010.

1. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Ok- I know there are alot of homeopathy skeptics on this board :).

I'm pretty desparate right now. I didn't seek out this guy--but through the universe he was brought to me... so wondering if that is a sign?

I spoke with one of the top homeopaths in the country who now teaches and consults at a school for natural medicine in Arizona. He's been doing homepathy for 30 years. He says he's 80% sure he can help me and has helped /reversed many MS patients and some lyme patitents as well where antibiotic failed. But he said I have to give it at least 6-8 months and cannot due abx at same time.

I'm so sick now and so sensitive I don't believe I can tolerate antibiotic treatment- I will be bedbound/not able to feed myself if I get worse. I don't know if I have th efaith that it will make me sicker but will be better in the end? Everything in my fiber is saying no no no to drugs given how sick I've become from just a couple that pushed me off this cliff--I'm looking for alternative. I Soooooooooooo want to believe this ca nwork. I now the longer i wait the more difficult/deeper this illness becomes.

What do you think?
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I totally understand that you are desparate, and so does this homeopath. Unless he is willing to treat you for free, I would recommend holding onto your money. If homeopathy was the answer for CFS, Lyme, or MS, then you would be hearing about it on the evening news.

3. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

I thought there had been some scientific studies showing homeopathy worked.. at least that is what my alternatively minded GP has told me.

Homeopathy is only as good as the practioner.. I think they have to be a very gifted practioner for it to work beyond acute health issues.

Tom Cowan from four fold healing/big into nourishing traditions and diet etc-was my kids doctor before he moved to California/San Fran had given me an article on how they were actually curing incurable brain cancer in india with homeopathy-- India being far more advanced in homeopathy than the US-

I dont know I want to believe it works-- the MS type symptoms progression with all the lyme symptoms on top of it (brain stuff, jerking , twitching )etc. is a terrifying place to be.

The progression the last 4 years has been rapid and running out of options--but I have been accused of being gullible. The homeopath is the director of a major homeopathy school after practicing 20 years in private practice. He doesn't really need me as a client/need the business - was doing it as favor to one of his former students (local naturopath) and he only takes the most challenging cases. Supposedly people fly from all over the country to him.

I did ask I could talk to some of his recovered MS and lyme patients. He said he was going to try and arrange that with their permission.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Do you have Lyme or MS? I would want to talk to people that have recovered from CFS and/or FM. Just because this doctor can help someone with Lyme or MS, doesn't mean he knows anything about CFS and/or FM.
  5. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

I wish this was still cfs/fibro- but I don't see how it is. I'm losing my mobility/strength/everything really)

My history was fibro-1998 ( headaches up back of head, neck and head pain, neck spasm, sleep got bad then all hell broke loose after chiropractic-pain spread/totally stopped sleeping for a year)whole body was stiff-especially left side (now my predominant weak/numbside)--got it under control with low carb diet and moducare sterinol supplement- but still suffered from cognitive/anxiety and some muscle flare ups from time to time.

In 2006-optic neuritis (with optic nerve damage/vision loss)-illness began shifting to neuro-

So far I do not have an MS diagnosis-but I seem to have all the symptoms. My MRI are normal (no lesions). I've had 3 sets of MRI's 2006, 2007,2010. But there are people with no lesions/or few in wheel chairs. MS diagnosis is almost as nebulous in many cases as the CFS/FMS diagnosis. Many believe a fair number of MS diagnosis are really lyme. There is an antibiotic protocol for MS from vanderbilt university for the cpn bacteria. There is alot of overlap with MS and Lyme and also the antibiotic protocol for cpn is some of same antibiotics used in lyme. My recent exam with a neuro - I could still walk a straight line, touch my nose with eyes closed and other silly tests -am numb but not to their standards-since my MRI ws normal he through me back to my GP and lumped me in the fibro/cfs category and suggested s sleep study! This is not cfs/fibro and it doesn't exactly fit MS-so I'm caught in the world of no diagnosis-so it must be lyme? The progression from fibro to MS type symptoms fits the Lyme theory of disease progession.

My symptoms go way beyond fibro/CFS- since I now have numbness on left side and also right arm-foot drag occasionally-left side now extremely week-eye pain. Burning all over, jerking, twiching, brain stuff, dizzy all the time, neck so weak hard to hold up/head/shaky, night sweats, brain constantly pulsating, eye pain/pressure, difficluty speaking and swallowing, coordination off, balance off,depthperception off. Hands so numb they are stiff now and difficult to type. The worst is the head stuff in brain and eyes and head jerking and weak shaky neck, But they don't fit the classic MS onset (numbness, fatigue)my nervous system is in overdrive/I don 't have fatigu-can never relax right now. I seem to have MS symptoms plus a whole lot more. I seem sicker than most MS patients on the MS boards- since I have zillion symptoms going on simultaneously. I have been house bound on the floor/couch /feeling like dieing many days now for 4 months (and little to no sleep). Before the drugs I was not feeling well but functioning and living life - I had bad brain fog, some weakness on left side and jerking /twitching-now I have a millions of symptoms since downward spiral from taking a few drugs for 3 weeks.

My lyme igenex 2006 was positive for lyme (2 bands) but did not meet CDC criteria- Drugs and herbs seem to make me incredibly sick and cause an explosion of new and lasting MS type symptoms.....I did many herbal programs- had explosion on buhner herbs similar to this but not nearly as progressed- it seems like treatment has advanced by disease since my "herx's last for months on end after stopping the herbs. And now this time same thing only 100 worse and my 'herx' is not ending still spiraling down with new and scary symptoms every week.

My only recourse now is abx (which I'm terrifed of getting sicker/permanetly losing more mobility function, becoming bed bound given I react so badly to herbs and now just a few weeks of drugs)/ or do homeopathy. I think that's allI have left. Lyme docs say you will get ALOT sicker and ultimately get better. Can I trust that given the acceleration of this disease that was caused first by herbs 2 years ago and now pharmecuticals? No easy answers.

I'm chemically sensitive as well-that started before the fibro in 1998. And always have been sensitive to medication.

I remember having strange twitches in my legs and some muscle pain in right arm when I was 20-so maybe I've had this all along...? (fibro diagnosed at age 36). I'm now 48.

Jam- I did try LDN for 1 year /2008--I was stable that year but I don think it did anything else for me/in hindsight I wished I stayed on it for 2 years. I thought it was effecting my menstrual cycle (very heavy/cramp/uterine polyp diagnosed that year) so I discontinued after 1 year- I did add it back in february at 1.0 mg-but discontinued . I' m totally not sleeping so wasn't sure it was a good idea. And I'm on other drugs now Gapa Pentin (helping with nerve irrititation in brain and anxiety some but not sleep- and trazadone). So didn't feel good about another drug that will leave a chemical taste in my mouth all day long.

I have read about the MS diets- my diet has always been soooooo good these past 12 years. all organic, free range, no wheat etc-I've considered the MS diet (very low saturated fat, no dairy, no gluten, no legumes, no eggs)---I did low carb for a couple of weeks just to see if it would have any effect on this explsion of neuro/downward spiral I'm in -but did not. I've lost 20 lbs the past 4 months -and can't afford anymore weight loss. I think for some people with early onset classic MS that is relapsing/remmiting and mild they can control with LDN and diet- for others not. I think my case is pretty extreme now-and not exactly classic MS. I"m a person that would do and has done everything the past 12 years to get well. The very best whole foods diet , exercise, massage on reg basis ,acpuncture, rolfing-you name it I've done it the past 12 years-except for homeopathy. I would do anything to get well right now- but I'm not sure what to do. I wish this was a mild case of MS with a little numbness and fatigue or headaches and could control with diet and exercise /but that is not the case.

I feel I'm so sick now- and have degraded so fast neurologically from the neck down /and the head stuff is not bearable -I'm terrified of where I'll be 4 years from now. I'm at a critical juncture and need to make the right decision ie antibiotics or homeopathy or something, I feel I need a miracle right now to turn this around.

BTW JAM- have your tried moducare sterinol?supposed to be good for RA.

Can you send me the link for the lady out west-I may have already seen her website/not sure.

Thank you all for listening.

6. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

In my fibro days I craved heat and sunlight/tropical islans-unfortunatley living in NE I've not gotten alot of that-I'm also olive complexion/part middle eastern-- maybe that has contributed.

Now I can't handle heat or humidity the past 2 years etc-- I used to love the heat- everything I love- food, sunshine, heat etc . has been take away from me.............
  7. bakeman

bakeman New Member

no, it is a scam. save your money.

8. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

I was taking vitamin D in a multi-I've stopped that since this crash and felt toxic to all supplements. I found larger amounts disrupted my sleep cycle (that was before this crash when I was sleeping)-

I have always been a healthy eater- and in 2008 I did an intense candida diet......only meat/veggies for 6 weeks then added brown rice then some fruit-- did that for about 4 months with nystatin- I tested for candida with great plains lab and it did show i was high for a couple of the candida strains before the diet-after it lowered but still showed high- I was also on LDN at the time and was getting all my amalgam feelings out-
    The diet did not get rid of my brain fog - I was at least stable that year- not sure if it was diet or LDN. I lost a ton of weight--

It doesn't seem like candida is the key for me.... in hindsight I wished I had done a metal detox then when I was stronger. Now I am too sick /weak for anything.. maybe I shoud consider one of those detox foot baths.

I still can' believe how sick I've become-

I did have a high stress job for 26 years (now on medical leave-there is no way I see myself coming back). That may have been the trigger for my illness-that job and my inability to manage stress properly. Sales quota at a major computer company for 26 years can be very stressful-and the last few years all the layoffs added to that stress.

I wish I could go back in time-I'd have quit my job , stayed home with my kids and lowered the stress load.

I wish I could figure my way out of this hole I'm in-I have Sooo many symptoms and they are getting worse not better. I'm willing to try anything-but feel to ill for supplements or anything right now. I'm continuing my health whole foodsgluten free diet, adding juicing of cruciferous veggis for liver detox, fruit soothie etc As sick as I am trying to stretch and take short walks get vitamin D.

What age was your sister diagnosed with MS?

My illness- seems to be almost beyond MS it's so bad right now-or a very aggressive form with no lesions. I hateto be pessimistic but there is a great blog called wheelchair kamakazee--he has no lesions.....and has tried everything 3 years antibiotics, drugs , etc

There is so little known about autoimmune diseases.. I do believe stress has been a factor.

If i could only get sleeping maybe I could stop the progression. The no sleeping thing fits with lyme as well ... i've been a fussy sleeper my whole life. Sometimes i wonder if I could sleep like a log-maybe i'd have none of this?

My mom has fms/cfs typeissus, sister with colitis, sister with interstitial cystitis, and newphew with aspergers-so their is an immune issue in my immediate family. None of my other aunts and uncles or cousins on that sideof the family have these issues though--doesn't make sense.
    Did have a stressful childhood though--so once again the stress factor.

Can i reverse the damage of all that stress now is the question?

9. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

sleep is crucial. have you tried any sleep medications? i'd be screwed without my ambien. been on it too many years to count. i also take a sleep supp called tranquil sleep by natural factors (contains melatonin, l theanine). it helps, but the ambien is what realllly helps me.

10. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Yes tried ambien and ambien cr -only gives me a couple of hours-
    On Trazadone and it's about the same-- now on gaba pentin for nerve irritation in my brain/neck (hard to describe)nervous system overdrive and to help sleep-can't say it's working had 1 better night in the past 7, but I am calmer.

On the stress connection- i am now more stressed than I ever been in my life realizing how progrssive my disease is and stressing about the hell/loss of mobility with lyme treatment, my future, where this disease is headed. You can't win- here I am saying stress was probably a major contributor for this illness and now I' am more stressed than I've ever been in my life realizing how serious and how ill with more symptoms every day like limb numbness and more muscle weakness etc.. I'm no longer working for medical leave and now I'm more stressed than ever on where this illness has taken me!
  11. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Not sure what my gut instincts are anymore or whether or not to trust them given I've gotten so sick now in 4 years since onset of optic neuritis and followed my gut in the past and look where it landed me!

I don't trust any of mygut instincts anymore. I'm so skeptical of homeopathy-can sugar pills really work for things like MS/MS typeillness?

But at the sametime I'm terrified of what abx/aggressive treatment will do to me given I've had this AI like flares/much more than herx to me...not bearable now 2X once on herbs and now on a few drugs-I' am SOOOOOOOOmuc hworse than were I was in November- defintiley feels like MS now I have o many symptoms and am so weak and numb on left side and limbs and neck etc etc.

I feel like I'm so out of time-wish I could go back 4 years .. but can't-I'm so indecisive by nature. This is so hard. I'm too young for this. One day a time i guess- live in the moment I guess (even if the moments are hard to bear). I was so looking foward to travel and retirement and helping my kids and grandkids and family-I'm a type A want to do everything -this is so hard for me. Why can't I just have some normal disease that doesn't effect every fiber of your body?

Thanks everyone-
  12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

When was your last neurological exam? These symptoms sound serious.

You also might want to see an infectious disease doctor to see if you do indeed have lyme.

Take care.

ETA If this doctor claims he can reverse MS symptoms, where are the headlines, the news stories. Why hasn't he been nominated for a nobel peace prize? Has he published papers on this?

So sad and unethical that he claims this and makes money off people with illnesses.

[This Message was Edited on 04/10/2010]
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

In honor of World Homeopathy Awareness Week April 10th-April 16th,2010, I will toast the occasion with a glass of water mixed with wine which has been deluted to the point where no molecules of the wine are left. I hope I don't get a hangover.

14. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Yes symptoms are serious. My last neuro exam was several weeks ago. Since my brain MRI was normal and I could walk a straight line, touch my nose and other tests they use for MS- he deferred me back to my GP and suggested a sleep study or seeing an endcrinologist or rheum.! My symptoms are all intensly neurological so this was ridiculous.

I have an app't at end of may with another neuro for 2nd opinion.- I don't think they are going to be of much help. Also have app't with LLMD famous one on May 5-but again terrified of more drugs since this explosion of symptoms ( I was going dowhill for sure before the drugs but not like this)started in December after my first drugs other than nystatin in 12 years- 1 weeks flagyl/ 3 week diflucan and a strong lyme herbal decoction of 15 herbs/roots for 1 week. It's crazy how badly my body responded and spiraled down/still spiraling down.
  15. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

My doctor had told me how they were successfully treating brain cancer in india with homeopathy- if you google there are a couple of articles on this. Somewhere in my house I have a copy of the article he gave me-

Brain Cancer Therapy: Ruta 6 Induces Selective Apoptosis in Glioma Cells

December 4, 2003

"Although conventional chemotherapies are used to treat patients with malignancies, damage to normal cells is problematic. Blood-forming bone marrow cells are the most adversely affected," scientists in the United States explained. "It is therefore necessary to find alternative agents that can kill cancer cells but have minimal effects on normal cells."

Towards this end, S. Pathak and colleagues at the University of Texas "investigated the brain cancer cell-killing activity of a homeopathic medicine, Ruta, isolated from a plant, Ruta graveolens."

"We treated human brain cancer and HL-60 leukemia cells, normal B-lymphoid cells, and murine melanoma cells in vitro with different concentrations of Ruta in combination with Ca3(PO4)2," they wrote in the International Journal of Oncology. "Fifteen patients diagnosed with intracranial tumors were treated with Ruta 6 and Ca3(PO4)2. Of these 15 patients, six of the seven glioma patients showed complete regression of tumors."

"Normal human blood lymphocytes, B-lymphoid cells, and brain cancer cells treated with Ruta in vitro were examined for telomere dynamics, mitotic catastrophe, and apoptosis to understand the possible mechanism of cell-killing, using conventional and molecular cytogenetic techniques," according to the report. "Both in vivo and in vitro results showed induction of survival-signaling pathways in normal lymphocytes and induction of death-signaling pathways in brain cancer cells. Cancer cell death was initiated by telomere erosion and completed through mitotic catastrophe events."

"We propose that Ruta in combination with Ca3(PO4)2 could be used for effective treatment of brain cancers, particularly glioma," the researchers concluded.

Pathak and coauthors published their study in the International Journal of Oncology (Ruta 6 selectively induces cell death in brain cancer cells but proliferation in normal peripheral blood lymphocytes: A novel treatment for human brain cancer. Int J Oncol, 2003;23(4):975-982).

For more information, contact S. Pathak, University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Department of Molecular Genetics, Box 011, 1515 Holcombe Blvd., Houston, TX 77030, USA.

Publisher contact information for the International Journal of Oncology is: Professor D.A. Spandidos, 1 S. Merkouri St., Editorial Office, Athens 116 35, Greece.

The information in this article comes under the major subject areas of Hematology, Oncology, Neuroscience and Pharmaceutical & Drug Development." (+)

It may be of some help.