Hooray for Hollywood

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by rockgor, Sep 22, 2015.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Here are some pics: to identify; to comment on; to jog your memory.
    Hollywood, BTW, is not a town. It's just an area with rather vague
    borders. Very few studios were located there. The only important ones
    were Columbia and Paramount. Those MGM movies that say Made In
    Hollywood at the end were actually made in Culver City, ten miles to
    the South.

Pic number 2 is really too small, but I don't know any way to enlarge it. Any
    body know the technique?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rock
  2. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

I can't see the first two pics. I don't know how to enlarge them, either, since I don't know what method you used to post them.

The 3rd is 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' which I own and like.

Is the 4th 'Arsenic and Old Lace'? Have that one too, a great.

P.S. Oops, upon enlarging the 4th pic, I see it's not exactly lace.

Patti
  3. rockgor

Hi Patti

Well, isn't that strange?! I wonder why you can't see two of the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, I posted the first two again. We'll see if the retake works. Yes, you are right
    about Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Saw it again a few months ago on TCM. Just as good
    as I remembered.

No, number4 is not lace. I believe some movie goers got a buzz outta that
    film.
    Rock
  4. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi Rock --

I still can't SEE picture number 1. Wonder what's going on. Hmmmmmm. Sometimes your pics are visible, sometimes I see [IM....] -- I think that means IMAGE, but it doesn't show the pic.

I'm pondering the other pics, so far--no guesses. :( I'm still looking!!!! :)

Diane
  5. ConfusedInPA

PS: I'm back!!!! LOL

My guess for Pic Number 6:

millie.jpg

I recognized Carol Channing, but not Julie Andrews (at first). I think my guess is correct??

Diane
  6. rockgor

Hi Kids

Guess what. Of the two pics I reposted, only one is now visible. Uff-da!
    Visible to me, that is.

Diane, you're right. It's Thoroughly Modern Millie. Mary Tyler Moore was
    in that movie too. She and Julie did a great dance in the elevator. Last time
    I went to look at it, it was gone. On the other hand, Youtube has 8 pages of
    Johnny Cash singing Teen Age Queen. One of my favorite from the days when
    I was a teen age queen, but I think it is kinda silly to have umpteen videos of
    some songs and to delete others.

They also deleted a great video of Ray Bolger dancing with June Haver. It
    was like the elevator dance. Cheerful! Almost therapeutic to watch.

If we are going to play this game some more, I will find another source for
    the missing photos. Or at least similar photos.

Rock
  7. hangininthere

Rock, I see the two pics you re-posted.

Plus the 1st pic you originally posted, but not the 2nd pic. (The 2nd original pic I just see like Diane said, an empty square box that says IMG.)

Are we allowed to google for the answers, like we could with the other guess the picture games?

Patti
  8. rockgor

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hi Kids
    The problematic pictures I posted came from IMDB. The Internet Data Movie Base.
    These are from different sources; maybe they'll last longer.

As for using the internet, I use it when I need it. I always check lyrics I am
    going to quote and dates and stuff. Partly because I am a recovering perfectionist
    and partly because I've got Alzheimer's and am easily confusiated. For example,
    if we were looking for "song titles with Bill", I wouldn't search for that. But I
    would check to see if the song from Showboat was really "Bill" and not
    Will or Phil. Seems to me folks can do whatever they think is apropos.
    That OK with everydobby? Wonder where GB is. Maybe she's having a bad day.
    You OK, GB?

Hugs
    Rock

Oh yeah, in the original pics I posted, number 4 is 42nd Street with the
    Busby Berkeley choreography. Number 5 is Birth of a Nation.
    gb66 likes this.
  9. hangininthere

Yes, with the songs of different topics, I don't google. Only to confirm if I'm correct, before I post, just like you do. If I'm wrong, I disqualify myself since I know the answer from googling.

But with Diane's 'guess what this is' pic games, we can google, hunting for the answer.

Okay, no googling for this game.

I'm guessing GB's computer is not working right, and hopefully at the repair shop? Although when her hubby fixed it, it worked last we heard.

I wondered what the clue 'buzz' was about, haha. Good clue. I just don't know those movies - have heard of the titles but never saw them, so I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Patti
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    gb66 likes this.
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone, I'm still here! :) I slept all day today off and on. Just got up!

My computer is okay with my new login. My hubby went in on his computer several times and then changed my password. I haven't had any problem since then?

I don't know any of these pics except the "Cat On a Hot Tin Roof" one, but it was already identified. I recognize the stars but don't know the film titles. Judy Garland, Donald O'Connor and Gene Kelly. Julie Andrews and Carol Channing. Later, GB
    hangininthere likes this.
  11. rockgor

Hi GB

Being awake most of the night and sleeping during the day is pretty much the pattern
    for me. You're right about the IDs of the stars except for Donald O'Connor. It's
    another song and dance man. When I moved to California he had a new job: US
    Senator. The only one who has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, not far from
    the old Brown Derby Restaurant where Lucy encountered Bill Holden. Bill ordered
    a Cobb salad named after the owner Bob Cobb. The restaurant has been gone since a
    fire in the 80s. The Senator was George Murphy. The movie was For Me and My
    Gal, Gene's first film after success on Broadway.

Pic number one is High Noon with Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly. They
    practically have the same initials. Anybody else up for posting a photo quiz
    from fun films of the past? Well, you could hardly post pics from future movies.

Rock

Here's another pic. Let's see if it will stay put.

[​IMG]
  12. ConfusedInPA

Hi y'all!

BTW, great game, Rock!

One thought -- I think that googling should be allowed. Most of us recognize the actors and actresses, but can't get the film name. Just my opinion, about googling. You may veto same! :)

I'll try posting some pics. I'll call it volume 2.

And don't forget to guess any pics that haven't been identified on this thread yet!

Be back in a jiffy!

Diane :D
    gb66 likes this.
  13. rockgor

Hi Diane, I think all the pics here have been identified, but I get confusiated easily
    lately, so maybe not.

I think folks can do whatever they like about using the internet. Seems to me the internet
    is a legitimate research tool. For example, Spencer Tracey and Kathrine Hepburn made
    7 or 8 movies together. One might recognize the actors, but not know which movie it is.
    Even the internet might not provide that answer.

I'm gonna take at look at the volume two you started. I stopped going to the movies in the
    mid 80s, so don't know much about the current stuff. I did see a movie yesterday though.
    Gordon got a library DVD of a Disney animated film called Monsters Inc. The 2 main voices are John Goodman and Billy Crystal. I thought the film was lots ah fun.

Rock
  14. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, is that one with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant "Bringing Up Baby"? I would have never identified George Murphy cause I didn't know what he looked like! :) GB