Hooray for pot!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donnaray, Aug 13, 2005.

1. donnaray

donnaray New Member

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Derivatives of the active compound in cannabis -- cannabinoids -- may have the potential for treating inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, UK researchers report.

"The system that responds to cannabis in the brain is present and functioning in the lining of the gut," lead researcher Dr. Karen Wright, of the University of Bath, explained to Reuters Health. "There is an increased presence of one component of this system during inflammatory bowel diseases," she explained.

Wright and her colleagues established the location of cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 in human colon tissue, and used human colon cell lines to investigate the binding of cannabinoid compounds and in wound-healing experiments. They report their findings in the journal Gastroenterology

The team found that CB2 was increased in colonic tissue characteristic of inflammatory bowel disease. Cannabinoids enhanced surface wound closure via CB1-related mechanisms.

"Cannabinoids, which we make ourselves, as well as synthetic cannabinoids, can promote wound healing in the gut, which is extremely interesting given that inflammatory bowel disease involves damaged gut linings," Wright said.

Although results are available yet, she added, relevant studies of the use of cannabinoids are taking place in the UK and a clinical trial is being conducted in Germany.

SOURCE: Gastroenterology, August 2005.

2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

good news, now all they have to do is legalise it and we can grow our own and get the 'real' natural benefits but thats not going to happen.

I'm not adverse to a nice tisane made from the stuff myself but would welcome getting it through my doctor.

Thanks for posting this article.

Rosie
  3. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

....you can write your congressman or your MP and MPP here in Canada. Also, there's an California based organization called WAMM (Wo/mens Alliance for Medical Marijuana) that are fighting hard to make this natural herb available for people with real chronic pain. You can find them on the web.

I've never understood how you can outlaw a PLANT. Here in Canada, we have recently been working towards relaxing the laws for possession, and opening up more usage for medical purposes. If people could grow it organically for home usage, imagine how much crime would be wiped out! Not to mention the danger of whatever additives are being put into street "pot".

Not trying to start a debate, but more and more medical research points to the benefits of this plant. When will they open their eyes and realize that scare-mongering is not helping, it's hurting....in every sense of the word.

nature
  4. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Please do not think I am a druggy [or maybe I am.]

I am nice respectible older lady who lives in Canada.

I have recently been put on a drug called cesamet.

Cesamet ia synthetic marijuana.

It is rather heavy duty and is given to cancer and AIDS patients.

I am taking it for pain.

The results so far are: a much better nights sleep, I felt a bit [out of it] for a few days but am OK now, Ceamet has not done too much to relieve the pain, but seems to numb it a bit.

I do not think I will stay on this one for very long but it is nice to have a restful night.

I also take the supplement Med. Marijunna TM, it does nothing re. pain though some claim it has helped them. It is a good source of eight omega acids and three omega oils.

This product is not pschoactive because it is processed from the actual seeds and not the seed pods or flower buds of this plant.

I can not believe that here I am, nearly 66 years old and turning to this drug for help.

I have never taken street drugs in my life, I do not smoke and only have a glass or two of wine about twice a year. The only thing I do, well, is hurt.
    Hope it is OK to post this. Denamay
  5. Bambi

Bambi New Member

using it for his MS here, has his own television show..oh boy, fog time...anyway he said it's been grown here and given to one patient for years in the US. I don't remember the details or what they give to the guy for.

For now the DEA says it has NO medicinal value, so they have spoken.
    Merinol is legal but God help the dr that prescribes it. And then I think it's only for nausea in cancer patients.

I personally just wish they'd let us use whatever helps for our pain and let our doctors supervise that. It's almost as if they want people to be in pain, but for what purpose I don't
    know. They ok things that eat our stomachs or cause neurological havoc
    but don't like the least organ damaging meds available? It's all nuts.
  6. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Thanks so much for the support and very good advice,point well taken. night,night from Denamay
  7. KelB

KelB New Member

Formal medical trials in the UK have shown that extracts from cannabis are effective in controlling pain where other painkillers aren't. Our biggest group looking for relief from symptoms with cannabis, seems to be those with MS.

An official research project is currently developing new drugs from cannabis. Could be a few years before they're available via the NHS, but at least someone has listened and acted.
  8. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Hey Guys, pot does have good results for many ailments and I am all for it's legalization for medical purposes.

Now, one side effect that we have to consider is marijuana gives you the "munchies". So we may be relieving some symptoms but awakening others, like a humungous appetite!

We then may have to be treated for OBESITY!!!

Just food for thought (no pun intended)

Hugs,
    Francey54
  9. bct

bct Well-Known Member

My doc. recomended it for my polyneuropathy (legs,thighs, abdomen) and it seems to be the only thing that helps.

Am seeing neurologist this month for nerve testing and will see what she thinks.

I wish it would be made totally legal so that the eradication monies could be spent elsewhere, and so that the extreme inflation of value of cannabis would fall.

It is expensive because it is illegal, and because of this it has become a profitable criminal enterprise to grow WEEDS, to the detriment of society.

Yes, it has its' downside too, but not anywhere as bad as alcohol or tobacco...

Campaign for what you believe in, harm no one, and tell the truth.

Love to all
    Barry.
  10. elsa

elsa New Member

There is a form of "pot" being used in the US. I use to raise funds for St.Jude Children's Research Hospital and had the opportunity to meet many of the wonderful kids there.

More then once, I had conversations with kids that had had bone marrow transplants and through the painful and nauseating treatment they had to go through prior to the transplants, they took, as they jokingly called it "pot in a pill".

I don't recall them saying how it worked on their pain levels, but they could at least keep substances in the stomachs and not completely waste away.

I don't know if it was just for those kids .... but it was most definately done and legal. This was 8 years ago. Don't know much about it since I haven't worked for St. Jude fund raising in a while.

Elsa
    [This Message was Edited on 08/14/2005]
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The guy with the TV show that has MS, and uses MJ is Montel Williams.

If they catch you using or growing it in La., they will put you under the jail, pain and age is no excuse :(

Shalom, Shirl

12. steve69h

steve69h New Member

Marinol is the same as pot only cinthetic also and it really helps me alot with the pain and sleeping and eating just cant take it when i go manic from my bipolar wow what a trip there (lol) Steve
  13. _Mary_

_Mary_ New Member

Why people still call the herb "pot"

Goofy name.

Marinol is not the same as the actual plant (chemistry 101)

And it is legal in many states (medical marijuana)

(you can look up on the www the state laws for the use of medical marijuana)

I have had my legal perscription for over 5yrs now and as far as growing it is 5 plants up to many more depending on your state.

Of course I don't think it should be made legal for anyone to grow and smoke when they have no actual medical problem that will be helped in any way.

It may work when you stub your toe but so would steel toed boots ;-)

Never met the "munchies"

I consider that to be a myth.
  14. lease79

lease79 New Member

Don't like the stuff. Hope that it doesn't become legal here in Sth Australia anytime soon.
    Have seen it devistate lives. Drug induced schitzophrenia anyone?? Nope I'll respectively stay away from it.
  15. achy

achy New Member

I get morphine at my corner drugstore....

but a joint will land me in jail.

Ironic isn't it?

achy
  16. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

See, that's the thing. There is no way for a consumer to know what they're smoking or ingesting. Street pot and other street drugs mostly have additives - typically other illegal substances, mostly chemical.

So whatever that person is smoking or ingesting could contain all kinds of things like meth, cocaine and God knows what else!

Also, illegal growers are growing "super strains" to increase the plant's production of THC to unnatural levels. Organically raised or home-grown marijuana is not that strong if left to its own devices.

Certainly not encouraging anyone here! Just stating my arguments which I've also made to gov't here.

Cheers, nature
  17. LaffyTaffyLover

LaffyTaffyLover New Member

I have never really understood why MJ is still illegal.

Can you imagine how much money the gov't could make if they just made it legal, and TAXED it? Goodbye federal defecit.

I did a paper back in high school, and Hemp was banned because paper companies didn't want people using cheaper, better, hemp paper. That was before computers, when paper was big, big business. I am sure there were other reasons, but the paper industry had a huge role in making it illegal. High school was so long ago I don't remember the other reasons.

So, when in pain, blame the paper companies =)

18. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Schizophrenia from pot? I know there are studies on it but I think than any CNS depressant could have the same affect. Many people on prozac have committed suicide. People are going to find pain relief from something. Why not make it the least harmful to the body. Alcohol does quite a bit more damage to the body, lives and others than does pot. It all has to do with money. The government makes money on pot by making it illegal. Persons who sell it make much more than they would if it were legal. And you don't have to smoke it to kill the pain either so that makes it even less a harm on the body. Is it really a gateway drug. I think it is a long way from making a brownie to shoving a needle in your arm or between your toes....
  19. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Pain is not an excuse only for a "legal" reason. Read some of the side effects of the legal drugs. It is horrible. People have a right to not be in pain.
  20. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Don't blame the paper companies, you need papers.