"Hooray", Social Security Approved

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nana2Andromeda, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Nana2Andromeda

Nana2Andromeda New Member

I got the call today and my Social Security Disability was approved. It has been a long two years.
    I will get back pay from November 2000 and Medicare went into effect November 2002.
    They said I will get my award letter in two weeks. What is an award letter?
    This tkes a load off my husband, now he won't have to work so much overtime to make ends meat.
    How long does it take before I get my money, does anyone know?
    For those who are still trying, don't give up, write down your pain and rate your pain, daily is what I did. I also took a picture of the human body and shaded in the areas I hurt the most and took those to my doctor.
    I also made sure my doctor was writing down my pain.

(((((Warm Hugs)))))
    Nana2Andromea
    Donna
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

Congratulations! Isn't amazing how long they drag this whole thing out? I'm glad to hear they finally came through for you.

Barbara
  3. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

Glad to know it can be done.I am thinkingon trying.Have any suggestions on how to get by while waiting ? Am scared that financially I won't be able to doit.But going to work every day is almost becoming impossible.What state do youi live in?
  4. basket21

basket21 New Member

They gave you the news over the phone, an award letter will give you the news in writing.
    I found approx. 2 weeks went by from the time I got the letter, no one phoned me you're lucky, and the time the cheque came.
    I'm glad things worked out for you.
    Regards.............basket21[This Message was Edited on 01/13/2003]
  5. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I was denied after applying; denied when I appealed; had a hearing and denied; appealed by letter and was denied; Now I am supposed to file an appeal with the US District Court but am unsure how to go about this. Really need to get an attorney but keep putting it off because I am so sick of all of this.

Question ... what was your process like? ... How many denials and to what level did you have to take it to get approved? Did you have an attorney?

Janine
  6. Nana2Andromeda

Nana2Andromeda New Member

I live in the State of California.

I did have a Lawyer. I had a pain journal that wrote in weekly and I had Fibromyalgia journal that I wrote in daily.
    I also have back problems, as well as diabetes, high blood pressure, and a heart valve problem.

In the pain journal I would rate my pain:
    0...No Pain
    2...Slight Pain (you know it's there but hardly notice it)
    4...Mild Pain (a little more pain than slight pain-it does not stop you from doing anything)
    6...Moderate Pain (wakes you from sleep or makes you stop your activity to ease the pain)
    8...Severe Pain (you cannot stand the pain and are unable to do any activity or sleep)
    10...Horrible Pain (the worst pain you can imagine)

I was denied three times and I think having a good doctor helps and I think I have one of the best. His main office is in Lancaster, but drives to our small town 2 times aweek. I was approved back in Aug. 2002, but the Magistrate Judge didn't feel SS adequately review my case and he sent it to the Administrative Law Judge for a hearing, but he approved it without a hearing. The approval date was 12/11/02 and I got the call today, so it took the Administrative Judge 3 months to review my case.

Hope this helps the ones who are still trying or going to apply.

Good Luck
    Donna

[This Message was Edited on 01/13/2003]
  7. pearls

pearls New Member

Good for you, Donna!

Hugs,
    Pearl
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

It's encouraging to hear this kind of news. I am waiting for my appointment in front of the ALJ. Did I understand correctly, that you didn't have to appear in front of the Administrative Law Judge? If so, how does that happen???

Congratulations,
    Dara
  9. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

That will take a load of worries off your shoulders! The first thing you should do is take a little bit of that check and just you & hubby go out to a nice dinner somewhere and RELAX. The bills will wait one more day. You have been all stressed out for 2 years now. You need a reward. I am still waiting to hear from them myself. I phoned & was told that they would have an answer by the end of February. It is so hard to wait! They still have not sent me to a doctor for any kind of eval. If I wasn't psychotic when I filled out the papers, I sure am now. Anyway, congratulations! Everyone who gets their SSDI, even after a battle, makes it that much easier for the rest of us.
    Kathryn
  10. duniaku41

duniaku41 New Member

hi there i had been appealing for my ssi many times too, just cannot remember how many times anymore. I have a lawyer and all he said was we are going to keep up with the appeal. I sure hope that i will be approve soon. I hope that the problems with mine was that my Dr. never writes anything that stated my conditions. I had been suffering from depression,backache and fm. Now i have a constant headache, hurt so very bad.
  11. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I'm always happy to read a Post where someone get's there Disability approved. My sister got her's this year also, but has yet to receive her money, but probably before to long.
    We are in Ca also, and I used a SS Lawyer, he got a set percentage, then because I was on GR, the Goverment took their share and I got the rest.
    Thank God it only took 11 months.

Don't spend it all in one place, do like me and Spread it around, lol. seriously, it came at a most needed time.

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  12. phenom

phenom New Member

hooray! well done for your patience and persistence. i'm in the appeals process here in australia, hope mine doesn't take as long as yours did though, i'm going insane after 6 months!

phenom
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good for you. I'm very happy for you. I am waiting for them to reschedule my hearing as the judge took early retirement and they cancelled my hearing. It's been almost two years since I filed.

Again, congrats!

Love, Mikie