Hooray! Vacuuming is finally considered exercise!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RedB, Aug 15, 2003.

1. RedB

RedB New Member

They're finally giving us credit for the hard work we do!!
    This was in my newspaper:

"CDC DEFINES EXERCISE LIBERALLY, YET FINDS AMERICANS DON'T GET ENOUGH.

Even when sweeping, waiting tables and tossing a Frisbee count as exercise, most Americans still aren't getting enough of it.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, believing earlier studies failed to accurately measure American's fitness because they focused on intense exercise, has lumped everyday activities such as housework and gardening with jogging and lifting weights.

But even with playing with children and raking the lawn on the list of moderate-intensity activities, the 2001 phone survey released Thursday showed that 55 percent of adults still didn't get the recommended minimum: 30 minutes a day, at least four days a week.

The 2001 survey results were better than under the old definition of exercise used in the 2000 survey, when 74 percent of adults missed the recommendations, but were still too low, health officials said."

Me speaking again. Boy, I sure wish I knew who they included in that phone survey! I never had a job where I wasn't doing at least one of those things for a whole lot more than 30 minutes a day! More like 6 to 8 hours a day! And, even now, I get AT LEAST 30 minutes a day of those types of exercise.

Oh, well, at least we are now getting credit for exercising. WE always knew we were knocking ourselves out during these activities!

Kathy

2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Because I have four shedding pets with light colored fur, and dark green rugs and furniture, I have to vacuum just about everything in my house every day. It's nice to know I'm getting a benefit from it. I also have to sweep piles of leaves off my deck, front walk, and back stoop almost daily, since our whole lot is shaded by huge live and water oaks.
    I do treadmill, weight training and yoga as well, a total of 4 hrs. per week, spread out over 6 days per week.
    So, with all this movement, why do I still look like baby Shamu? I guess I'm living proof that you still have to starve to be skinny!
    Klutzo
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My little Roomba is getting some exercise :)

Love, Mikie
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am with Mikie on this one, my little 'Roomba' is getting all the exercise ! I just 'walk' behind it so it does not get into 'trouble' with the dogs :)

Shalom, Shirl