Hope everyone saw the warnings about packaged salads

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, May 8, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

I was up late last night, so I was watching the late night news. Apparently there have been a lot of people getting very sick. Researchers found out that all that were sick all ate the same thing.

One guy still had a bag in his fridge and they tested it and it tested positive for ecoli bacteria. They are still trying to figure out how the ecoli got into the lettuce. The two types of lettuce that they mentioned were Dole brand Iceberg and Romaine lettuce.

Just thought I would share with all of you just in case some of you have not seen or heard of this yet. They said that even though a package may say "ready to eat" you still need to wash it first.(washing does not get rid of bacteria though)

Lettuce is more dangerous with ecoli b/c you don't cook it like you do meat. So, beware if you eat a lot of prepacked salads.

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 05/08/2006]
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

It also can have a couple of more bad things in it...washing it gets rid of it and Dole was mentioned.
  3. gladone

gladone New Member

Hey kriket,

I just sudder to think of how dirty lettuce is and just how all that ecoli get's onto the lettuce in the first place. Dirty poeple (not washing hands) and free roaming cow's & such I would guess. Thanks for the tid bit....I think!!!

Gladone
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

It's probably a good idea.
    I think they just want people to wash lettuce no matter what. No, washing it does not get rid of it, I think it's a good idea though. It could not hurt.

Kriket
  5. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

You keep eating your salads, hon, and good for you putting those nutritious phytonutrients into your body! :)

I did some research and found that washing salad stuff does wash most of the bacteria down the drain.

I also assumed that pre-packaged vegetables were clean and ready to eat - but they're not.

Thank you, Kriket, for the alert.

Now I wash everything!

Roseblossom
  6. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

This is very interesting. I did not see the warning on tv, but I got very sick the first week of April when we went to Virginia on some pre-packaged salad. It was like food poisoning with runs, throwing up, stomach cramps, but my daughter was sick with a virus, so wasn't sure what I had. Lasted for 2 days (all the way back home). No more packaged salads for me.

Deb
  7. jarjar

jarjar New Member

There was also speculation that the lettuce growers were using dirty water with ecoli to irrigate the lettuce so the ecoli could be entering the roots and going up thru the plant. If that is the case no matter how much washing you do would help as the ecoli is inside the lettuce.
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

kriket:
    So far, so good for me. I use the pound tubs from Whole Foods each lunch time and have had no problem with the organic triple washed kind.

Thanks for the tip on Dole. That certainly is scary.

nyrofan
  9. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

A few years ago when plain old iceberg lettuce went to $3 a head those bagged salads were a total bargain.
    Ate them for a long time. It got to be a habit...grabbing up 5 or 6 bags during weekly shoptrip.
    Then: I noticed I was feeling badly, sick gut, semi-nauseated, stuff like that.
    So...stopped eating the bagged stuff for a few days to let my body calm down. Then tried one salad for dinner.
    Bingo. Sick again.
    Not only are there bacteria in/on the greens, I suspect sulfites as well. And a LOT of us are sensitive to sulfites. NO, the salad-producers aren't being made to list that little thing in the ingredients portion of the bag labelling. Damfino why.
    Re sulfites: stay away from salad bars, buffets, things like that. It's getting to where we don't dare eat anything. AARRRRGGGHHHHH.
    Lea.
  10. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I didn't see the warnings and I do use packaged lettuce. I guess buying organic would help but washing is still important.

Kathy.
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I saw a program on migrant workers this was about mushrooms, but I guess it applies-there was absoluetly nowhere provided for the workers to use the bathroom, so they used the rows between the crops.

Re supermarkets and bags. Many times I see kiddies sitting right in the cart, often coughing, runny noses, diapers on etc. Then we toss the foodstuffs, even in bags into that space they were just leaking all over.

So the outside of the bags gets pretty dirty I would think, so I think the suggestion to wash it all from the bag, then rebag in a container would work.

You are right what is safe any more?

Love Anne C
  12. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Soak your greens in "FIT" (for sale in grocery stores) a spray that is made to wash veggies. Soak for about 2 to 5 minutes and drain,then dry!
    Spraying it on does not kill all bacteria. Soaking is the answer.
    Shirley
  13. kriket

kriket New Member

I was gonna share that a little girl got very sick and almost died. Another man, he was probably in his 50-60's got really sick too. When they started looking into what his problem might be he was a atually hemmoraging sp? on the inside. He almost died too. They mentioned that 2 people had died. This may be a problem that has been around for a while, I dont know. I never did like the idea of prepacked salad. Always had a gut feeling. My gut feelings are usually right on. Kinda scary though. My dad and grandma by these two exact types of lettuce same brand and nothing else. I think I need to go find some lettuce to plant in my garden. I could mix it w/ the tomatoes, pepper,cucumbers, and onions and "maybe" not have to worry.

Kriket