Hope none of our friends will be affected by SANDY - - -

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

and in combo with that cold front that is supposed to be hitting the east coast soon, if not already . I know that the outer bands may have already hit some of NC and area.

Thinking of you all. Let us know how you are doing if you can. My brother and family lives on LI. I hope it won't be as bad as they are all thinking it will be.

Warm and prayerful thoughts to any in the area of this storm that many were calling "Frankenstorm.". Hope God will keep you all safe and sound.

Love,
    Granni
    [This Message was Edited on 10/28/2012]
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

as this storm passes through the next day or two. Hope it doesn't last to long. I know all about hurricanes since we moved to LA and then TX. It can be VERY scary ! We lived through IKE and that one was really scary,

Yes, I am glad that you are both prepared or as much as can be. Of course when they say it could be a big storm and you are not sure of what to expect, I know how that must be. Will be praying for you both and others as this storm passes through. Some aresa, I forget where were having SNOW !!!!

Check back both of you when and if you can. You know we Porchies worry about our dear Porchie friends. Just finished eating dinner and cleaning up but kept hearing about the storm and all the preparations. As they say, prepare for the worst and hope for the BEST !!!

Thinking of you both and all those who may be in its path. Will try and check back later tomorrow probably.

Love,
    Granni
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For everyone in harm's way. This is an especially bad time for a hurricane. Here in FL, we learn to live without power when these storms hit but up North, it's already cold and it will be disasterous to be without power. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Love, Mikie
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

I know about cold weather and being without electricity . It is pretty rare for those up north getting a hurricane ( at least when I lived there) and being without electricity, especially in the colder weather.

I even heard about snow but not sure where it was when I heard it. I was born in NY and lived there during my early years till late twentys or so. It is bad enough when it is hot like it usually is here when we get a hurricane and power outages.

Stay safe and warm everyone (if you can). If not warm at least stay SAFE !!

I guess we will hear more about this storm today. Hope it won;t be as bad as they say but it does sound like a very strange and large storm.

Love to everydobby,
    Granni
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Thanks for the update on L.I. My brother and part of family live in Suffolk county (Melville) but I think that Suffolk county is pretty large and they are not close to the water- other than where they have their beach house or cottage. It is a large storm so I am not sure what to expect.

Went to my line dancing and then came home and went to the store with DH and stopped for a sandwich (pulled pork). Thought that would be healtier than the beef. They are both very good.

I have another friend in upstate NY but don't know if they will get anything or not. Since it is a big storm maybe they will get snow, who knows ???

Julie - Hope you are feeling better !!! REST !!!

Thinking of you Diane, Frieda and anyone else, especially living in the North East and close to any coastline and water.

Love to you both and everydobby else in the path of SANDY,
    Granni
    [This Message was Edited on 10/29/2012]
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

I am not so worried about my brother and family in Melville but they have a beach house fairly close to the water much farther out. Another neice lives farther south I think.

I was also worrying about my friend who lives in upstate nY. Just heard from her and she said that it was rain oretty hard. They are in the upper elevations and som sometimes gets a lot of SNOW. I didnt ask her the tempo. It is snowing in WV, I forget where. My friend also has a son that has a house close to LI Sound I think she said. Another son lives n Manahattan. Hope they will be OK.

One of my daughters live in NC buyt they hardly get anything when these storms come in - to far from the coast. Haven't heard from her since yesterday and she was fine then.

Keep in touch Leah, Diane and everyone. Thanks for trying to calm my fears. I pretty much know the area as I lived on LI most of my life until I married and then moved down south. It was mostly for the brother's cottage not to far from the ocean (quite a bit of my mothers furniture was in there), friends family.

Bye for now.

Love,
    Granni
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

and haven't heard from any of my relatives but am guessing they are find. Just wondering about the beachhouse and if that is OK with also some of my parent's stuff in it.

Hope none of our board friends are suffereing in any way. New Jersey seemed to have gotten it pretty bad, especially right on the coast and Jersey Shore, I think. I also heard places in NY like Rockaway and and now a few other places escape me. Lots of devestation and distruction. NYC will probably take a lot of time to get back to normal and transportation to and from the city gone for some time other than maybe some bus and ferry service, hopefully soon.

Heard that train cars in either NJ or NY were picked up and found either on the freeway or to the side. Lost our internet and then TV's this morning. DH spent some time talking to someone who serves them and finally got it back working again. Took him forever just to get to someone who could help -ugh !!!

Yes, it is wonderful that crews from all over are there to help out. We had the same thing with Hurricane Ike. Crews came from everywhere and we still had no electricity for close to a week and others alot longer.

Prayers and good thought to anyone else that was or is still in the path of this storm. More later. Have to check the rest of my e-mails etc. since I just got on.

Love to you and all,
    Granni
  8. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

And Sandy has moved to mid-Indiana and Mich. It poured rain and wind there.

I too lived with CNN through all of it----I can't believe now how awful it is there and for some, no hope as of now! How will they ever recover. I guess all I can do is pray for them. And snow!!!!

Take care of all of you have families in the Sandy area. How awful!!

Hugs to all,

Lilac
  9. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

on Staten Island...never thought much about it and I've never been there....sounds almost like a self-contained city on an island but is part of NY. Does the ferry carry autos as well or just passengers...

Reminds me somewhat of Catalina Island off of LA...only much more people, Staten Island has like 1/2Million people...Such devastation there...
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Your right about there not being many storms coming up the east coast like this one did. I lived my childhood in Queens and then LI, NY ( Nassau county) till I married and we moved south. Of course this was a double whammy with Hurricane Sandy and then that cold front. It is a terrible thing for all those affected.

Yes, the cold weather moving in is also terrible especially for those who have lost so much and or do not have electricity. I haven't heard anything from my braother and DIL. I had e-mailed them before the storm and then called them I think yesterda. I called two numbers and left messages, if they could understand me with my cold.

Hugz to everyone in the affected area !

Love,
    Granni