Hope you can help my husband's pain med issues.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abbylee, Mar 6, 2007.

1. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I am one of the lucky ones. I take pain medication for fms every day and I don't have any problems with constipation.

My husband, on the other hand, does. He uses fibercon, but gets very little relief from it. I've also given him some grapes, but he's sick of eating them every day.

Do any of you have this problem or do you know anyone who has it, and if so, what works for you?

Thank you in advance for your help.

abbylee
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2007]
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

My hubby's the same way.. but so am I!!

We have tried cascara sagrada with good results. You can buy it at Walmart for under 6 bucks...

Hugs!
  3. abbylee

abbylee New Member

He's tried prunes (once or twice) and suppositories, but not the cascara sagrada. He takes Cumadine and I don't know if he can mix the two, but I'll try to find out.

Thanks again for your help.

Please keep the ideas coming if you can.

abbylee
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

usually the problem. They decrease as we age. You can take supplemental enzymes. ProHealth sell them.

For the CFS/FM, consider Systemic Enzymes. See the work done by Dr. William Wong N.D. Dr. Wong recommends Vitalzym.

"Forbearance" has had great success with Virastop by Enzymedica.

Systemic Enzymes:
    Cleanse the blood
    Reduce inflammation
    Modulate the immune system
    Dissolve scar tissue
    Dissolve the isoprin (protien) bond of certain viruses
    Assist in digestion

Lastly, healthy bacteria (Probiotics) create systemic enzymes in the large colon. These are killed off by too much sugar and antibiotics. Lactobacillius, Acidophilus and several others need to be there.
  5. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Thank you. I've not heard of these enzymes before but I'll print the list and ask my husband to take it to his doctor.

I wouldn't think there would be a problem with mixing them with his Cumadine (not sure of the spelling of that) which is my concern with the cascara sagrata (not sure of that spelling either), but the doc should be able to tell us.

Another possibility might be Bentyl. I take that (which might be why I don't have any constipation issues).

abbylee
  6. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

The pain meds dry out the intestines. Suppositories might not clean you out all the way up and after time that can be a big problem.

Try this but you have to do it every single day:

100 mg. Colace three times a day

eight glasses of water

2 servings of Metamucil

at least 500 mg. magnesium -- the cheap, least absorbed kind is the best for this

3 prunes

Omega 3 capsules

salad with oil dressing

None of these things is bad for your colon.