Hopeful research?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by coyote, Apr 16, 2003.

1. coyote

coyote New Member

I just read an article in a newletter called Medscape from WebMD about a new class of drugs being tested for depression that are called Substance P antagonists. Evidently people who are depressed or anxious have too much substance P also. They talked about how SP affects the thyroid also, and mentioned that there might be many uses for this type of drug.
    Maybe this will benefit us with FM.
    I read in another article that it is being tried as a treatment for pain and IBS.
    They are in Phase ll trials, which means it will be awhile before it is on the market.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2003]
  2. coyote

coyote New Member

3. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hi Coyote (love the name!),

I, too, have come across this. Don't know if it's the same article/drug -- would be nice if there were actually TWO of these new drugs, but I'm guessing it's not likely. Here's a synopsis of the article I read:
    -------------
    News Investigational Fibromyalgia Drug Successful in Phase II Study
    Cypress Bioscience Inc.s milnacipran, a norepinephrine serotonin reuptake inhibitor, significantly reduced pain intensity and improved overall pain in a phase II study of fibromyalgia syndrome, lead investigator Dr. Daniel Clauw reported Friday. (March 2003)
    -------------

If it's NOT the same, I'd love to read your article.
    Ci'ao,
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace ALL Grievances
  4. coyote

coyote New Member

This drug is not an SSRI.
    Check my new post, and do some looking on the web. It's interesting.