Hopefully, A New Song Game

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Jul 29, 2017.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I had a thought. Maybe we could post a word and then let others find a song with that word in the title.

Example: Chance

"Taking a Chance on Love"
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Good idea, GB. Here's one: THE. Ha Ha. OK, here are some to work with.

1 Fountain
    2 Bushel
    3 Whither

4 Snow
    5 Accordion
    6 Cuba

If we had skype we could do like show and tell. Get up and sing. Right? I'm actually
    not familiar with skype. I musta skipped skype in school.

Rock
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

1. Three Coins in the Fountain
    4. Let it Snow
    6. I'll See You in C U B A
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

6. Story

7. Fire

8. Symphony

9. Blossoms

10. Negative
  5. rockgor

Hi GB, your answers, as usual, are all right. "It's so nice to have you back where you belong."

My mother had I'll see you in C U B A on a 78 back in the 40s. Written by Irving Berlin,
    Once America's greatest and most prolific writer of hit songs. Don't know if his record has
    been broken. Doubt it.

Ricky Riccardo sang the C U B A song in a Lucy episode. Maybe in two of them.

6 Andy Williams sang the title song in the film Love Story. Are we including lyrics
    as well as the title? The song "The Glory of Love" includes the line, "That's the story of,
    that's the glory of Love."

8 Tony Martin sang the song Tenement Symphony in a Marx Brothers movie and also
    recorded it. You can hear the song on Youtube sung by Tony and other singers. He also
    sings a song titled "Symphony".

7 Also in the 40s I had a children's record that included a song that began, "Fire, Fire, Fire.
    Raging all about. Where are the firemen to put the fire out?" There are lots of songs
    with Fire in the title on Youtube. My favorite is the Johnny Cash favorite Ring of Fire
    written by June Carter and Merle Kilgore, a cousin of the Carter sisters. Also the best man
    at June and Johnny's wedding.

Merle had his own successful career in country music as a manager, business executive and
    song writer: Wolverton Mountain, Johnny Reb, etc.

Rock
    gb66 likes this.
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Well, Hello Dolly to me!

I remember those Lucy episodes where he sang CUBA and I had the record too.

I've not heard of the Symphony song or the Fire song. I do remember Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire. I always liked it. Never quite understood what it was about though. And I saw that movie Love Story but did not care for it. Too sad, and his father was such a jerk.
  7. rockgor

Hi Kiddo

I dunno either, but I suspect the ring of fire was just hyperbole for passion.

9 Our love is so sweet in the springtime when blossoms
    from the show Maytme by Sigmund Romberg.

10 You gotta ac-cent-u-ate the positive,
    E-lim-inate the negative,
    Latch on To the affirmative,
    Don't mess with mister in-between! by Johnny Mercer.

Ryan O'Neal had such a promising start in Love Story. He sure messed up his life though.
    Recently I saw him playing medium size parts in a two cop shows. Maybe he's off the drugs.

11 Basket
    12 Squirrel
    13 train
    14 city

Rock
    gb66 likes this.
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I always like Ryan O'Neal too. And Maytime was on this week on TCM. I couldn't get numbers 2,3, and 5 that you posted earlier. Did anyone else get those?

11. A Tisket A Tasket (A green and yellow BASKET) A Childen's song.

13. MidNight Train to Georgia (by Gladys Knight and the Pips)

14. Summer in the City (by Lovin' Spoonful)
  9. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

12. Squirrel

Ray Stevens - 'The Mississippi Squirrel Revival'

2. Bushel

The Andrew Sisters - 'A Bushel and a Peck'

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    gb66 likes this.
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

3. Whither Thou Goest by Perry Como
    5. The Accordian Song by Dawn Landes

(I had to look thest two up.)
  11. rockgor

Hi Kiddo

Nice job. In some cases you found songs I never heard of. I first heard Whither Thou
    Goest at a wedding about half a century ago. Back in the 20s Ruth Etting recorded Sam, The
    Old Accordion Man. Her life story was the basis of the movie Love Me Or Leave Me in
    the 50s with Doris Day in the title role. I read an interview with Etting. She said she never made any money from her recordings until they were put on long playing records decades later.

Johnny Horton recorded the song Whispering Pines. There's a reference to a pair of
    squirrels in the trees and "their barking calls of love". Here's a rather goofy video from
    1930. You can hear Etting's voice. She and Fanny Brice were great at torch songs. I used
    to have LPs of both.

Rock

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    gb66 likes this.
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

15. Spearmint

16. Lollipop

17. Bread

18. Guitar

19. Telephone

20. Nose
  13. rockgor

Hey, GB

16 Lollipop, Lollipop, recorded by the Chordettes in 1958, about the time we graduated from High School. It was sung in the 1980s movie Stand
    By Me.

17 Nelson Eddy used to sing Shortning Bread a lot. I had a recording of it.
    Didn't Ethel sing it in her concert while visiting her Dad in Albequerque?

18 Guitar. Johnny Cash wrote a song called The Tennessee Flat Top Box which was a guitar that had strings of steel. The lyrics refer to a boy and his guitar.

19 Telephone. All Alone is a 1920s song by Irving Berlin. It was introduced in a Broadway show by soprano Grace Moore. "All alone, by the telephone..." A few years later she was singing at the Met (without a phone).

20 Nose is in both the title and lyrics of an old favorite Christmas song that was introduced when we were in grade school. The singer was Gene Autry. Richard Peterson and I wore a reindeer costume (He was the rear) and tap danced to same.

15 Hafta think about this one. I know there was a singing commercial about Doublemint gum. Cole Porter wrote a song titled Experiment.
    That's pretty close, huh?

Rock

My consultant, Gordon, tells me that in the 50s there was also
    a song titled "My Boy, Lollipop". Wikipedia confirms same.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    gb66 likes this.
  14. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

All good answers Rock! For lollipop, there is also the good ship lollipop. I had both of these songs on my mind.

For spearmint, there was a song about the spearmint losing its flavor on the bedpost overnight. Can't remember anything else about it. I'll have to look it up.

For guitar, I also thought of a song that Ricky Ricardo sang on i love lucy about his guitar. I believe it was something like canta mi guitarra. sing my guitar?

I remember the Lucy episode with her singing shortnin' bread. Funny episode. GB
    rockgor likes this.
  15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

21. Alaska

22. Drag

23. Prairie

24. Feuding

25. Star
  16. rockgor

Oh, forgot about The Good Ship Lollipop. Shirley Temple sang it in a movie. Anyhoo, Margaret Whiting used to sing on TV in the 50s and 60s. I remember my Dad telling me that her father had written The Good ship Lollipop. Her father was Richard. Also composed the music for Hooray For Hollywood.

21 North To Alaska and Saginaw Michigan

22 A Real Slow Drag from Scott Joplin's opera Treemonisha. This is the finale of the piece. You can see it on Youtube. I used to have the recording on LPs.

23 Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie. Stars and prairie are also
    found in Deep in the Heart of Texas.

24 Feudin', A Fussin' and a Fightin'. Recorded by the Park Avenue Hillbilly Dorothy Shay. My mother used to have some of her 78s when
    I was a kid. She and my uncle loved those old records.

25 Star of the East. Great Christmas number. Back in the 50s our local soprano Dorothy Ewalt used to sing it. Don't know why somebody
    famous hasn't put it on a Christmas album and sold a couple million albums.

I'll put up some when I get a bit more energy. Gonna lie down with the
    A/C and a book.

Rock
    gb66 likes this.
  17. rockgor

Well, here's kind of a tough one.

26 Bass (pronounced base)
    27 Copper

28 Virtuosos
    29 Cream

30 Thundering
    31 Reeds

Rock
  18. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

29. You'te the Cream in My Coffee by The Nat King Cole Trio.

The rest have me stumped! GB
  19. rockgor

Very good, GB. The cream in the coffee song is from the flapper era.
    Was also recorded by Ruth Etting and Marlena Dietrich (separately).

Here's another clue. 26 through 31 are all in the same song.

Rock upload_2017-8-5_3-45-3.jpeg
    gb66 likes this.
  20. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Is it "76 Trombones"?

Here's one where the words are all in the same song also.

32. Band
    33. Conceals
    34. Polution
    35. Havoc
    36. Discloses