Horizontal Exercise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Juloo, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

I just realized how that title might be misconstrued -- LOL!

What I'm trying to say is that I am having much better luck with some types of exercise than with others. Almost two months ago, I started juicing for 1 or 2 meals a day. It has worked well for me in that I have lost about 25 lbs. to date. My doctor asked me if I was having increased energy, but I had to tell him no (the juicing was my idea, not his). My cognitive situation seems to have cleared some -- and I'm not as inclined to feeling as sleepy in mid-afternoon. I still have 'fatigue', however, so am still taking naps.

One thing that has changed is that I have started going to the pool after lunch to do some laps. I've always loved swimming and am happy to be in the water again. It keeps me a little cooler than a workout OUT of the water, although I am still quite warm when I am done with my laps. My routine was 10 laps for a couple of weeks, then 12, then I was up to 15 laps three or four times a week.

I've been careful to stay as 'horizontal' as possible -- doing only strokes that keep my arms and legs even with my heart, or below it. So I do the breast stroke, the side stroke, and the 'lazy' version of the back stroke. No crawl, butterfly or 'real' backstroke. I wasn't trying to break records, just to move and exercise. My routine takes about 20 to 25 minutes. The hardest part is getting out of the pool. To date, I have had *no* problems with post-exertional malaise from any of this.

So this past week, I didn't feel like going to the pool, so I decided to pull out the Wii Fit that I haven't been on for over a year. I did about 20 minutes worth of games/exercises. And yes, I was *vertical* while doing these.

The next day, I slept over 16 hours and went to bed two hours early. I made it through a morning of work today, but spent the afternoon in bed, sleeping. It has taken *48 HOURS* for me to recover enough to feel like myself again.

In the beginning, I thought it might be that the swimming kept me cooler (I have serious issues with heat), but I live in Florida, and after a couple of laps, the water feels warm enough to make me think I'm swimming in my own sweat (yeah, gross, I know). So I can only think it is a position-related thing.

I think we need more horizontal exercises.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I first got soooo sick, I went to PT and they gave me exercises (nonexertional) which could be done lying in bed. They were a God send for me.

I also love swimming and also live in FL. Now that I likely have Sjogren's, I'm not supposed to go out in the sun. I could go early enough so that the sun isn't as strong and wear my sunscreen. We are starting a water volleyball workout and I've been asked to join. I may give it a try but don't want to be in bed two days for every day I play. I used to run in the shallow end of the pool to get my heart rate up but since SS, haven't had the energy to do it. If I can't do that, I doubt I'll be able to do volleyball.

I agree that horizontal exercise is better and it also seems to agree with Dr. Cheney's theory of our heart condition.

Love, Mikie
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

I sure am sorry to hear that now you are having difficulties w/possible Sjogren's. My father-in-law developed SS when he was in his early 50's. My sister-in-law has been having problems as well, although her doctors cannot seem to decide between fibro, RA and SS.

A long, long time ago, when I was pregnant, I had pregnancy-induced hypertension/preeclampsia with a lot of swelling in my legs and feet. My obstetrician asked me if I had access to a swimming pool, so every once in a while I would just get in and stand there. She suggested that perhaps it would be easier for my body to process fluids if there was even pressure all over to counter-act the gravity/pooling that was going on. I hadn't thought of that until now...I wonder if that is part what makes swimming easier on me than other types of exercise.
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

As I've written before, I love my Pilates bench. I do the lying down exercise along with horizontal stretching and yoga. The whole deal takes me maybe 8 minutes but I can tell if I slack off. That's why, when doctors say exercise for CFS, I don't smack 'em. It does help if we can find a gentle way to do it.

Edited to correct my typos[This Message was Edited on 09/15/2011]
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

That book has been on my reading list for a while now -- I think I'd better move it to the top! And, of course, it would be tough to argue with Winston Churchill -- any man who took naps as much as he did would be a hero for that alone.

I did manage to get to the pool today...the first time in a couple of weeks. After ten laps, I decided that was enough for today, but an hour later, and I'm still feeling fine. I think I'll store the Wii for a bit longer...
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

I haven't done any Pilates, but I know what it is. Are there any exercise DVDs that deal with mostly 'horizontal' exercises? It would be such a good idea to have someone out there put out something just for us 'vertically challenged'!
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are right about water pressure. In fact, if one only hangs on a foam noodle in the deep end of the pool, the pressure and movement of the water will help massage the lymph nodes and get the lymph moving the bad stuff out of our bodies. I suggest putting the noodle under the chin so that the neck and underarms are in the water. One can hang on with the hands on either side of the chin. I actually massage my lymph nodes because Sjogren's can cause them to clog up. My breasts because so tender that I had to massage them to unclog the many small lymph nodes in them. Yikes!!!

I'm heading over to the pool for water volleyball but may or may not do it, depending. I'm in a flare right now and am exhausted. Also sun is bad for autoimmune conditions. In fact, I think I'll apply the sunscreen now so that it's working by the time I go over there.

Love, Mikie
  8. ellikers

ellikers New Member

... really it's become my mantra! It's so great you found exercise that works for you! It's really key to healing in my opinion.

I started swimming when I had CFIDS several years back, and was able to gradually increase over time (fighting off post-exertional malaise). Water felt really healing, calming for me then.

I run now, but that's after physical therapy (including pilates) and stabilizing my core muscles ... we had to retrain my body how to move so I didn't flare up trigger points as much. It took time, but prioritizing moving, however I was able, I'm able to run and hike and bike and all that good stuff! I might still have this nervous system, but DAMN I'm healthy and I'm going to be as active as I can be.

Isn't it the character of Dori in "Finding Nemo" who had the little song "Just keep swimming, swimming swimming swimming ..." ?? ;)

Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmyUkm2qlhA