Hormone and Thyroid Connections

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marjidoll, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

I had a partial hysterectomy 9 1/2 years ago that triggered my fibromyalgia.

Since I have developed so many sensitivities to medications, I decided to pursue a more natural approach to treatment.

I found a naturopath who is close by, suffers from fibro and has gotten herself "95%" better. I know she is sincere and I believe her.

She used guaifenison for 5 months and has since done a regiment of fasting once per week, a mostly high protein diet, supplementing with bio identical hormones and getting her thyroid under control.

I have done the fasting and supplementing with magnesium and other vitamins but still have symptoms that get quite bad.

She firmly believes that at least in my case there is a strong connection between my hormones and my fibro.. I am almost 51.

She had me get my gynecologist to order blood work to test for estrogen, FSH, progesterone, testosterone, thyroid, and a couple of other forms of estrogen.

My gynecologist whom I also trust, he's been my doctor for 24 years, is not convinced. He also says there are no medical studies that say that natural or bio-identical hormones are any safer than the synthetic ones.

My mom died of breast cancer, so there is always that concern for me.

I guess my question is has anyone gotten real relief from the symptoms of fibro from using hormones or getting their thyroid under control, whatever that means. As I said, I am quite reluctant to take drugs of any kind. I can never tolerate them long enough for them to do me any good.

I know this is long, thanks for reading/answering.
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I am 58, and I started menopause when I was 49, and shortly thereafter was dx with clinical depression, etc. I took estrogen replacement until about 2 years ago, before I was dx with FM.

At one point, I asked the doctor if I could once again take estrogen to see if it helped me feel better, less pain. I did and it didn't. There was no improvement.

However, I feel better taking thyroid medicine as I was hypothyroid about the same time as FM was dx. Now, all these diseases seem to just run together sometimes, don't they? I did feel worse and my cholesterol was high while my thyroid was low. Now, both are normal

So, for the estrogen...no help. Thyroid...helped. I also had a partial hysterectomy when I was 40 which did not cause any problems; in fact I had far better health in my 40's than in my late 20's and 30's. It was a miracle operation for me.

I'm sorry you are having these troubles, and I hope my experiences will help you some.

Blessings,
    Sue
  3. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

try searching elsa by author she is treating her hormane problems with great success. Maybe she will see this and respond! Keep bumping it up! Lynn
  4. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

5. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

I thought my thyroid problem, rxd with Hypothyroidism years ago may be a culprit, but I am not so sure. I take levothyroid, spell? generic for synthyroid, and I have not seen any changes. Although, the side effects alone of hypo, compounded with fms, cfs are just horrible!

Sincerely
    Chungiedolor
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

I've posted about this a few times. I have done so much research on the subject. I find it facinating as well as frustrating.

As for synthetic vs bio-identical, I guess it comes down to a personal choice. I read everything I could get my hands on over a long period of time. Add to that the years I have taken synthetic estrogen/progest and depo-provera for birth control and enjoyed all the wonderful side effects that go with them and it was not a difficult choice for me to make.

Trust in your doctor is good, but I can't trust 100% ... I have to be educated on the options. There are still quite a few ob/gyn's who will not consider bio-identical hormones. I don't think it's right and your doctor (if he's male) isn't the one that has to ingest the synthetic ones.

Managed care docs will have a contract with an insurance company who also has a contract with a pharmacy (conventional) ... it is not in the group's best interest to rx compounded bio-identical hormones. This isn't bashing ... just how managed healthcare is today.

After all the research and questions and study I have concluded that I want nothing else besides compouned hormones. I read through my insurance coverage last night. It's interesting how compounded hormone therapy is excluded except if the patient is a child under the age of 18. Hummm, interesting.

Like I mentioned earlier, there have been many,many studies proving that the HPA axis is dysregulated in CFS/FM patients. You can google a Dr. Mohammad Yunus MD .. Rheumatologist and Professor at University of Illinois Medical School. He has some excellent studies finding just this thing and he is as conventional a doctor as they come.

I also can look to my hormone levels and see how off many of them where. My testosterone and Growth Hormone results couldn't be argued by anyone.

My thyroid tests were bad numbers in the reverse T3. I am taking compounded T3 and I started feeling a difference within two days. I am not at my final dose yet, but it has been a god send. I was truly angry for several weeks at the lack of effort, knowledge and understanding on the part of many doctors.

For my part, I was allowed to suffer ... there is no other way to put it. They refused to test my testosterone and my GH ... I have an illness that causes extreme muscle pain. There are too many documents to list noting that hormone dysregulation is a cornerstone of CFS/FM.

Testosterone makes new muscle tissue... growth hormone makes repairs to muscle tissue already present ... my tests were ridiculously low in both hormones. I couldn't help but have muscle pain. And too many doctors REFUSED to even test them.

I have since come up with a team of doctors who handle the different cornerstones to our illness. I am very thankful for them ... because of my research in finding the right treatment for me and because of these doctors I am in remission and getting stronger. I am truly blessed .. but I still have to work on letting go of that anger.

Look things up ... if a doctor says hogwash to the hormone problems fibro patients face ... ask him why. .. Show him the studies ...

If, after reading up and researching the studies on fibro and hormone dysregulation you still aren't comfortable with testing and treating with bio-identical hormones, then you'll know the choice was an informed one and made by you.

I posted not too long ago why so many of our tests come back negative ... why only certain tests are ordered and why, when more sensitive tests are run we start showing documented pathogen, hormonal and sleep disorders. It really is quite frustrating to think about the time wasted.

I have printed out a series of studies showing that the majority of female CFS/FM patients are below normal in testosterone. These studies were completed in 1987! The Dr I sugessted you google made his presentation in 1997 ... almost ten years ago, yet so many patients go untested and untreated in the major CFS/FM categories.

My mother made a remark the other day that stuck with me. This treating for low thyroid is not new. There was a time that the doctors used the blood tests as a tool only ... the major defining tool was the patient's symptoms.

Cold hands and feet, intolerance to cold temperatures, dry skin, dry, brittle hair, low energy and fatigue, verticle lines in the nail beds, body temperture routinely below 98 ... (more like below 97.6), etc. Her comment was "it used to be a time when doctors were allowed to be doctors." I wish it was more like that today.

I'm sorry for coming across aggressively on this topic. I guess I am not over the anger I felt for not being treated properly. Having a hugh precentage of positive improvements in such a short time just confirmed what I had felt was true for us all along ...

If we treat the pathogens, balance the dysregulated HPA axis and have a sleep study done to determine which treatable sleep disorder we have then remission is obtainable. We can have a good quality of life. We won't be cured, but we will be living good lives with a chronic illness.

I hope you're able to get some good information and then able to receive any kind of treatment(s) you decide is right for you. After all, that's what healthcare should be all about.

Take care,

Elsa
  7. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Great one, elsa.
  8. elsa

elsa New Member

For Marjidoll .... Have a chance to read ....

E.
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

You have written such good information on hormones! It's nice to have so much useful info in one post.

Thank you!!!!

Katy
  10. elsa

elsa New Member

Thanks for the kind words guys ..... I really did/do see nice improvements and have noticed others who have gotten better with properly interpreted tests plus comp.hormones.

I hope ya'll are doing well today and fibro free!

Take care,

Elsa
  11. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I completely agree with Elsa. I think you should get yourself to one of the FFC Centers and have yourself tested. If your hormone levels are off, believe me, you are feeling funky.

I tested this myself because I looked up the symptons for being low on cortisol and I simply bought an over-the-counter supplement. Low and behold, I instantly felt better. The dark circles under my eyes even disappeared. It was all too obvious...glaringly, that this was a problem for me. I also added in 25 mg. a day of DHEA, and all I can tell you is that I feel better. No way am I recommending that anyone else do what I did. What I am suggesting, though, is that you get yourself to a more forward-thinking doctor.

These other guys don't know diddly-squat about making you feel better, or you would be feeling better by now. Between this board and one trip to Dr. Holtorf at FFC, I'm feeling much, much better. H-o-n-e-s-t...so much better that I cannot even begin to explain the difference. It is that dramatic. You may not be as sick as you think you are.

Also, there are many studies regarding breast cancer and hormones, and the final test results are quite different than what we originally heard. Please do some further investigation. I think that replacing hormones with bioidenticals may really be effective for you. But you will never know if you don't find the right doctor or medical group to help you.

Best wishes,
    Bebe