Hormones and FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by colorfulcolorado, Aug 14, 2008.

1. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

I just visited a site here in Colorado that says that they can get all my hormones in order and do alot of blood tests etc and get me on my way to good health-this is a FM/CFS center. Now I'm still relatively new to FM only had it for 3 years,officially, but I've never heard of "getting my hormones together" when it comes to FM. Am I missing something or not understanding FM??? In the years I've seen my doctor she never mentioned hormones except if we were talking about going through the change or something. Is there a connection with the hormones or do you think this place sounds like another place to take your money? I'm totally confused!
  2. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

there is a connection between hormones and FM merely becuz
    FM affects every system in the body and every system in the body affects FM. When my period starts my CFS symptoms
    are more severe than usual. FM/CFS affects all the glands - thyroid, adrenal, you name it, which will in turn affect hormones. So there is a connection.

As for the clinic in Colorado. Do extensive research before spending a lot of money there. Posting on this message board is a great place to start; hopefully you'll get some good feedback. I personally do not know anything
    about this clinic but maybe someone else here does.

3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I think FM puts everything out of whack but I don't really believe that it is the hormones that cause the FM but the other way around.

I would do lots of research before putting out any large amounts of money or time.

What is the name of this place you are considering? Maybe someone has already tried them and can give you more in depth info.
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

The majority of MDs, incl rheumatologists, have very limited understanding of FM because by their lights there hasn't been a large body of credible research to demonstrate causative factors. So the std medical approach is governed by pharma, which has a few RX meds that have been shown to be helpful to a portion of FM sufferers, helpful at least for a while.

"Standard of care" for most med specialties changes very slowly -- it often takes 2 decades or longer for med research finding to be incorporated in standard practice, excepting those well-funded pharma finds that get heavy promotion to the docs.

Specialty clinics, on the other hand, usually deal with folks who have not been helped by std med practice. Spec clinics are often considered mavericks by the std med community, because their willingness to implement "early research findings." Another difference is that spec docs are usually more open to the concept of individual differences among fibro sufferers than are std practice docs.

Some early research does show some hormonal diffs in a portion of fibro sufferers compared to controls. Where hormones are out-of-whack (often low), pain DOES result. Incidence of fibro increases greatly post-menopause in women, when estrogen, testosterone, and thyroid hormones frequently take a dive. Restoring "normal" levels of bio-identical hormones if often very helpful in reducing pain.

Having said this, it's not uncommon to find things like low thyroid hormone, and/or low testosterone, even in premenopausal women.

No guarantees, however. If YOUR fibro is more related to, say, stress and depression, or an autoimmune condition, toxic exposure, a musculo-skeletal disorder, a genetic enzyme malfunction, etc. then testing for hormonal imbalance may be $$ spent in the wrong direction.

Perhaps one of the most sensible things to do, where funding for test & treatment has its limits (as it does for most of us), is to LEARN all you can about fibromyalgia.

Find symptom checklists for hormonal deficits, and rate yourself. Ditto for the psychological issues, the toxic exposure stuff, and autoimmune disease. Go over your past health history, fam history, etc. with a fine-tooth comb.

Being your own personal medical detective is time-consuming, but educational. It will give you a reasonable starting point for testing & treatment.

If you SUSPECT you may have some symptoms of hormone imbalance, one thing you can consider if you have insurance, is to ask your regular doc/OBGYN, to run full hormone panels. (They usually DON'T run full panels unless you request.)

Your reading will tell you exactly which tests to request. This way, you might be able to get a $$$ saving head start on figuring out whether hormones are an issue in your fibro.
    The money savings come by getting tests through your insured doc -- many spec clinic aren't covered by insurance.

Be prepared for your doc to give you some guff, maybe even to refuse your request. But you have little to lose by asking. When the test results come in, get copies of the lab results & evaluate them according to what you learn from your reading.

I've done hormone balancing to excellent effect on my fibro. So have many others. BUT -- I have a neighbor with severe fibro, who I've been bugging for years to get hormone-balanced. Recently she has found out that she has a spinal degenerative disease that is most likely the cause of her "fibro" and muscle pain. For her, at least in the short term, surgery can help -- and $$ spent on hormone stuff would be less well spent. Goes ta show ya ...

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/15/2008]
  5. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

recently i had a hysterectomy,and started Bio identical hormones, which i had to have a saliva test to determine what my levels were. when the tests came back, i had almost NO DHEA and Cortisol whatsoever! they Pharmacists said being that i had Fibro it didnt surprise him that i was that low, he said he sees it all the time in his Patients with Fibro. i sure wish my fibro Doc would have said something about it a long time ago, maybe it would have made a difference in how i felt all these years.
    it wasent that low cause of the Hysterectomy, the Pharmacist said i was probably low for years!!
    SO in my Opinion, after that expierence,i think it's worth being tested for Hormones.
  6. rachelle01

rachelle01 New Member

def worth it to have your hormones checked. I just had a hysterectomy also two years ago, and then all the sudden I had all the symptoms of FM?? The hard part is trying to get them all balanced. You might also want to get your hormones checked via blood serum. Saliva testing is not that accurate..Ive had it done and it was sooooo off.