Hormones CFS and FM ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tawra, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Tawra

Tawra New Member

I've had CFS and FM for 18 years since I was 16. About 8 years ago I started getting very depressed too. I've tried everything. Anti depressants, vitamins, supplements, progesterone, sun, counseling all of it.

I know that my hormones are messed. Every time I get pregnant (3 kids) I feel a LOT better for about 4-5 months. Until the baby gets big enough that it starts sucking the energy out of me and I'm on bedrest for early labor I do fine.

Then about a month after it's born I'm right back where I was. I get very bad right before I start my period. Sick, horribly depressed and I know my it's making my CFS and FM worse.

Here's my question. I'm only 35 so they won't give me a hysterectomy. My mom had one at 42 and said she felt SO much better after it. (not healed but better) When she goes off her HRT then her CFS always get worse. It's been 10 years and the doctors keep telling her to go off the estrogen but she always get so sick with her CFS when she does.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try. The progesterone made my CFS really bad and I was really sick on it. Birth control pills (13 years ago) gave me bad headaches. What would you start with? Any suggestions? I don't have medical insurance but pretty much I tell my doc I want to try (fill in the blank) and he let's me if it's reasonable.

Any advice please?

Tawra
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Hi,

It's so weird you posted this topic! I just logged on to post the same type of questions. I tried the "search" first, but it came up w nothing. Hope this post isn't too long, but it's a subject that's been spinning around my head the last couple of days...

I am 46, and I guess I'm premenopausal. My cycle is only about 21 days long, for the last yr or so. The only time I feel halfway decent every month is beginning about 3 or 4 days after I start my period. There are only 5-7 days after that I breathe a sigh of relief and feel somewhat less fatigued, achy, depressed and anxious.

As soon as I feel the ovulation pain (I can always tell), the next day my breasts are sore and my above symptoms get worse. It's like night and day. I'm back to being absolutely exhausted and in pain, crying off and on w no reason, anxious, you name it. The closer to the start of my period it gets worse, then the whole cycle continues on.

I am on Prozac and Depakote right now for the mood problems. I've been trying natural progesterone cream and an EFA combo vitamin for PMS. I just started back up w this regime, I tried it before but I am terrible at sticking w something month after month. I always want immediate results, ya know??

I've tried the Pill, progesterone cream vaginally, increasing Prozac during PMS time....nothing seems to help. When it comes to talking to Drs about hormones, they have been pretty worthless.

My friend swears by the natural (from wild yams) topical prog. cream. I am going to try to keep using it regularly. I am so tired of this, don't need the reproductive equipment anymore and wish too that it could just be removed!! I have 2 kids, 12 and 15...my FMS and everything started about 10 yrs ago.

I need to start researching the internet on this subject. I am absolutely positive that hormones are making my illness so much worse and I'm so tired of this roller coaster (just like you)

Let's see if anyone gives us any earthshattering info here. If I find anything, I'll be sure to post it.

Unhappily hormonal....
    Hermit
  3. Tawra

Tawra New Member

Man, some of these things sound JUST like me!

http://www.onlineallergycenter.com/treatments/hormone_imbalance.htm

I am thinking about going to see if the doc will test me or give me some estrogen. I’m like you.. I just want this over! I know that it won’t cure my CFS but something is defiantly making it worse and I know my hormones are messed up!

Tawra
  4. Tawra

Tawra New Member

for one but I don't have any other problems except for extream depression, mood swings, cravings etc. My periods are normal so there isn't anything "abnormal" about me. :)

Tawra
  5. Tawra

Tawra New Member

I'm so sick of doctors I could scream. Every time I go in it's only because I want to try something new. They just want to keep dumping me on anti-depressants that don't work.

Oh well. I am going to research this hormone thing some more.

TAwra
  6. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

hi - read some threads here about adrenal fatigue and get tested. me and my brother did and are now slowly getting our lives back. my main problem- severe exhaustion. his, severe depression.

bigmama2
  7. Tawra

Tawra New Member

and they said I was fine. This whole thing is so very frustrating!

Thanks for the input. Tawra
  8. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Hi Tawra,

Man I can relate to some of what you said. I feel like I am on a roller coaster these last 8 months. My moods are all over the place. I have anxiety, depression, sometimes I am fine. Just all over the place. I cry for no reason etc.

I know it is my hormones that are messed up. I went to so many docotors telling them that I felt like my hormones or adrenals or thyroid was off. Something was off.

They tried to make me out to be crazy like I didn't know what I was talking about. OR they would do the regular old tests and say everything came back normal (their scale of normal).

Have you seen an alternative doctor or have you gone online to get any tests done on your own???

After researching all of this I have quickly learned that a lot of the tests that doctors do may not show a problem even if there is one.

I went online and purchased a Saliva Test Kit from ZRT Labs. You can get them from other companies as well.

But this is more acurate because they are doing a 24 hours test of your hormones to see what is off.

Mine came back and said that my Estradiol and Progesterone are WAY off. My adrenal glands are not functioning properly as my Cortisol is too high at some points of the day and too low at others. Also my T3 thyroid is off as well.

So I am definitely out of balance which I KNEW!! I tired to tell the doctors but they wouldn't listen...just wanted to throw anti depressants or anti anxiety meds at me which I didn't take as I knew something else was going on.

So now that I have my results I can try to figure out the best way to fix all of this.

I suggest that you order some sort of test kit or see an alternative doctor. Doctors may tell you that everything is normal from the tests that they did even if there are things that are off balance. Their tests don't catch a lot of things.

Anyhow, sorry so long. I hope you find some relief.

Take Care,
    Pam
  9. Tawra

Tawra New Member

Yes, I had a saliva test. My progestrone came back on the low side of normal. I tried progestrone cream and it just made my CFS so bad I could hardly get out of bed. I am thinking of paying cash to have my hormones tested again and seee where they are.

Tawra
  10. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Gosh I really hope you can get to the bottom of how to fix all of this. I think getting your hormones retested may be a good idea. Just so that you can see where you are right now.

There are a lot of natural things that you can take that are supposed to be really good for hormone support etc. I have heard good things about the natural progeterone from wild yams that someone else spoke of above.

There are a ton of other things that you can try as well. I have looked into a lot of them but can't remember off the top of my head what they are.

A former member here recommended Nature's Way Damiana-Eleuthero (Damiana-Ginseng) Formerly called AHP. She said that balanced out her hormones. Although she did say that it is best to follow her treatment plan first. She said it normally works better to get the body working better first before fixing the hormones.

It is worth a try though. I know these illnesses really mess up our bodies chemical balances.

There are a ton of other natural remedies for different hormones. Just type in herbs for adrenals or natural treatment for thyroid etc. and you will find a lot.

Not sure if you have already tried natural stuff or not but if nothing else is working for you it may help.

Hope you can figure this all out!

Good Luck,
    Pam
  11. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I know you said you tried the pill 13 years ago. I am not sure if you are willing to try any birth control again. BUT my boyfriends sister gets a birth control shot called Depo Provera. She gets one shot every 3 months and no longer gets a period at all.

She hasn't had a period in over 3 years now with the shot. About a month or two after getting her first shot she stopped getting her period. This is normal with Depo Provera.

SOO if you are willing to try birth control again this may be another option for you. It will stop your periods.

Take Care,
    Pam
  12. debhun

debhun New Member

I was reading about that the other day and I do feel that hormones Do have a play in our DD. But if you think having a hysterectomy will work will it didn't for me. But I have some big troubles that is why I had to have a hysterectomy. It has been 10 years ago that I had it done. The last 3-4 years I have been getting worse off. Now I can't even go the the store. I just sit inside all day and I can't even get my house done most days. But it would be nice if they could come up with something soon.

Deb
  13. Highlights

Highlights New Member

Tawra,

I had to have a hysterectomy 8 years ago. I was living in debilitating pain from endometriosis and could barely function at all.

That said, let me assure you a hysterectomy is not something you want to do until you have exhausted all possibilities. For instance, have you seen a Reproductive Endocrinologist or an endocrinologist?

Have you worked with an acupuncturist and tried Chinese Medical approaches? Have you tried seeing a naturopathic physician?

These are people who might be able to help you without going to such an extreme as having a hysterectomy.

Since my hysterectomy I am unable to use ANY hormone replacement. I have developed osteoporosis in one hip. I can't take the bone drugs like Boniva and Actonel as I had bad reactions to them. I have developed arthritis in most joints; plus the Fibromyalgia. Hot flashes daily. I have a book written by a female endocrinologist Elizabeth Lee Vliet, M.D., Screaming To Be Heard; Hormone Connections Women Suspect...and Doctors Still Ignore" that is excellent. Barnes and Noble have it. You may want to look at it. Page 74 & 75 address the consequence of low estrogen and it's not pretty. Low estrogen causes a drop in brain endorphins which lead to a multitude of negative effects, with lowered pain threshold just one of many.

It sounds like a Reproductive Endocrinologist might be the best person to help you. Just would hate to see anyone have a hysterectomy if other options were available. There are many negative, life long consequences from a hysterectomy....particularly if you cannot take any hormone replacement.

Living it,
    Nancy

14. Highlights

Highlights New Member

Gee, talk about brain fog....the main reason I posted was to say that the Dr. Vliet who wrote the book I mentioned states in her book that she feels Fibromyalgia without question is a Hormonal issue, or triggered by hormonal problems. She goes into more detail than that obviously.

But when I read her book, the hormonal and fibro connection really jumped off the page at me.

Bye,
    Nancy
  15. Tawra

Tawra New Member

I will have to check out that book. I really don't want to have the hysterectomy yet so I would like to see if there are other ways. I will do it if I have to but I know that's drastic.

Tawra