Hormones? Need Your Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Aug 24, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am in menopause and convinced my insomnia, anxiety and muscle aches are aggravated by the hormone imbalances.

Has anyone taked Hormone Replacement Therapy and improved? If you have taken hormones, did they make you feel better?

I know there are side effects but the doctor says, if I know them and still want to try it, she will give them to me.

There is alot of controversy about them causing cancer, strokes, etc. But just trying them is not going to damage me overnight.

I am so sick of feeling bad.... and if there is any chance this will help, I want to try.

I would appreciate your opinions.
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

You can try adrenal and /or thyroid glandulars. They could make a big dent on their own. There is also progesterone cream. Or getting closer to the med route is bioidentical hormones.

I would not do rx HRT. To risky. I'm sure you have enough on your plate.

Jeanne
  3. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Have you ever considered going to the FFC center?

They will check EVERYTHING your adrenals, thyroid, etc, etc, etc!

I believe that they specialize in neutralizing all areas that are NOT in balance including "natural hormone replacement!

I don't know if Iam of much help but................ I have read all of Suzane Somers books ( she had breast cancer, remember?)

anyhow, she completly believes in "NATURAL" and individualized hormone replacement( biodentical ) therapy..........she uses it and Iam sure she would not, if it was dangerous to her breast disease.

Whenever I can possibly get a day or two off from work Iam still going to that FFC center near you! AND...........I WILL get to meet you "darn it" LOL LOL

Even if the FFC center doesn't help the dd it still can't hurt to try to get everything else in order!

I hope and pray your feeling better soon..........

Love and hugs
    Doxy

4. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I've had breast cancer twice and if I knew it would make me feel better, I would do it. I have thought about it often and if it would make my life somewhat enjoyable, I would take quality of life over quantity.

The problem is that I have read that it does not seem to help and I would want to know that it helps before I took the risk.

Because of severe sweating, I did testerone(s?) shots to see if they were caused by menopause or CFS. The sweats continued as bad as ever. That is one of the main reasons I have not pursued it further.

I also have found a doctor that was mentioned in Suzanne Summer's book that practices 1 hour from my home. The thought stays in the back of my mind.

I hope you get lots of responses. I am very curious also.
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I wanted to bump this to see if anyone else has taken hormones and if they helped.

I read menopause can cause anxiety, insomnia, muscle aches, stiffness, etc.

This can happen with peri-menopause as well as menopause.

There is alot of controversy about HRT (hormone replacement therapy), but it if would help I might try it.
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

I take Estradiol 2 mg each day and have no problems with it. I have had a total hysterectomy with bilateral salpingoophorectomy though. I feel if you want relief and have discussed the pros and cons with you physician it is you personal choice.

The study that got everyone up in arms over this whole thing was only done on one age group of women and I do not have much faith in myself.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Best wishes,

Karen :)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
  7. Dolphin_lover

Dolphin_lover New Member

I hope you are still checking for answers. Bio-identical hormones are completely natural and have NO side effects!!!

I don't know if the FFC uses bio-identical hormones but I do know they do not take insurance.

If you look in your local phone book under: "Longevity" clinics or doctors, or "Anti-aging" clinics or doctors or "Preventative Medicine" you will find doctors that use bio-identical hormones. You can shop around and find one that takes insurance.

The doctors who use bio-identical hormones test your blood to see what level each hormone is at. (One blood test will do it) They will then perscribe the hormones that you need.
    They bring your hormones back up to the levels that they were when you were in your 20's or 30's (when your hormones were at "optimal" levels).

A regular doctor checking your hormones does not test for "optimal" levels. Usually, most doctors will tell you that if your in a certain "range", that your hormone level is fine! And all most all of their testing shows that your hormones are in the acceptable levels. They do not know or understand "bio-identical hormone replacement therapy". They will not even consider or recognise that your hormone levels affect how you feel, because their tests say your ok.
    Your NOT okay if you don't feel okay.

Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is considered "alternative" and some other terms I cannot think of at the moment. Most doctors do not understand it and they are NOT trained or educated about it in medical schools.

I just want to repeat that Bio-identical hormones have absolutely NO side effects.

When perscribed by a doctor who uses bio-identicals, each hormone is "compounded" especially for YOU, and in the exact strength YOU need. After you have been on them about 6 months, you should know if you feel any better. The doctor will do another blood test to make sure you are at the "optimal" level that you need to be at.

Compounding pharmacies are all around.

Its worth a try, and it won't hurt you. I am on them currently, but have only been on them a couple of months. I'm sorry I can't give you a definative answer on whether they are helping me or not.

I do know that anything we can do to strengthen our bodies whether it be by supplements, vitamins, probiotics, bio-identical hormone replacement therapy, etc. will help us.

Kind regards,
    Dolphin

8. JLH

JLH New Member

I am a person who would highly recommend HRT!!! I've been on Premarin for years and had no side effects!

Premarin has been a wonder pill for me during menopause! It takes all the symptoms away!

Talk with your gyn doc and go with what him/her recommends.

I had had a partial hysterectomy when I was 32. I still had my ovaries and was not thrown into early menopause. I did not start on Premarin until my mid-forties because of intense hot flashes due to peri-menopause.

I'm 55 now and still taking Premarin with no problems.

jlh
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I found a doctor who is prescribing bioidentical hormones. He does the testing and has them compounded. When I asked my own doctor, she said they were all the same, but I don't think so.

I will definitely try to see this doctor and see if he can help me..

Thanks...
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks for the reply, I will do something that is for sure. I am certain some of my anxiety, insomnia and muscle aches are hormone related.

11. Dolphin_lover

Dolphin_lover New Member

I just thought you would find this bit of information interesting.

Premarin is made of PREgnant MAres urINe. Hence the name Pre-mar-in.

I am happy to hear you do not to believe your doctor when she/he said that bio-identical hormones and synthetics are the same.

That is TOTALLY wrong!!! Your doctor either does not know what she/he is talking about, or she is lying because she/he wants to keep your business.

I'm glad you found a doctor who perscribes bio-identical hormones.

For others who may be reading this:

locate a "compounding" pharmacy in your area and call the pharmacist and ask him for some names of doctors that are perscibing bio-identical hormones.

Blessings,
    Dolphin

[This Message was Edited on 09/09/2006]
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And non-medically professional opinion: When I started through peri-menopause, I decided I didn't want to take the risks I had read about with HRT. My doc said when I could not longer stand it, or my family could no longer stand me, to let him know and he would prescribe. Well, in my 40's that day came and I started out with Premarin and Progesterin. I had to keep taking larger and larger doses of the Premarin to get relief. Finally, my doc switched me to Estrace and Progestin and I was able to taper the Estrace down to the smallest dose. I continue to take these now that I am menopausal. To stop them causes heart palpitations. I just feel better on them.

I believe the longitudinal study of the cancer link is so fatally flawed that I am surprised that anyone gives it any creedance. Only nurses were used in the study. Both stress and infections have been shown to be contributing factors in cancer. Who is exposed to both more than nurses? Unless one has cancer risks, I think the benefits of the HRT outweight the slight risks to those without familial cancer.

The FDA does not regulate the new bioidentical hormones. A lot of women swear by them and they may be the best thing since sliced bread; I don't know. I do know that the batches can vary significantly from one to the next.

This is one of those things where we each have to consider the potential risks and decide for ourselves. I'm glad I decided to do the HRT and only wish I had done it earlier. I would not have taken Premarin. Estrodiol more closely resembles a woman's natural estrogen. Also, there have been abuses involved with the pregnant horses, and they offspring, used to produce the urine needed for making the Premarin.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  13. Barbie56

Barbie56 New Member

I have an appointment tommorrow with the Holistic Center here in Maryland. We are so lucky to have the best hospitals and centers here , such as John Hopkins and GBMC and St.Joes and the best Holistic Center which is 5 minutes from my house. The Doctors there are Board Certified Internal and Holistic Medicine. Their specialty is Hormones. We also have a very good compound Pharmacy which will make the BioIdential Hormones for each person, not a one pill fits all.. I will let you know how it goes and also please read the book by Suzanne Somers " The sexy years", it is great and my brother is in the medical field and this book on Hormones was a course that they took at John's Hopkins.. They had to read the first 4 chapters. Good Luck.. and I do believe that Hormone balance is the key to good health and a long life. Barb
  14. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Actually, I am dealing with "HOT HOT" flashes as I type. I was on HRT but ran out; time for the dreaded physical and that's just it; VERY expensive and dreading it.

Every time I do this same thing; run out of the med, I try to so call "live" without taking it but it comes to the point that I just can't. These hot flashes are terrible, occuring every hour if not more.

I haven't had hysterectomy, even though there was a time I begged for one, still haven't.

It's a tough call; if you can live with the symptoms, I would do it. I, on the other hand, just can't deal with them. As much as I wish I could,

Hope this helps some,

BlueSky555
  15. karalvd

karalvd New Member

HRT is a super no-no for lupus, even birth control pills are banned.
  16. yesnettv

yesnettv New Member

I live near you. Last December I lucked out to go to Dr. Holtorf in Torrance (actually, his NP, to get in quiciker, but still got to see him). The change for me has been night and day. Of course he did lots of tests and put me on bioidentical hormones, supplements, etc. We are working on the infectious diseases now. Within about 6 - 8 weeks my pain level dropped about 50%.

By the way, I used to go to your PM guy, nice enough guy.
    Take care
  17. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have an appt next week at the FFC in Torrance with the nurse practitioner. I would have to wait months to see Dr. Holtorf.

So, I am excited to see what they can do. Thanks for much for the feedback. I feel much more confident to use the bioidentical hormones.

I hope it help and will let everyone know.
  18. yesnettv

yesnettv New Member

You will love DeeDee!
    Can't wait to see how they help you!
  19. kjfms

kjfms Member

and give more of my opinion...LOL

I took Premarin (with no problems) for many years before switching to Estradiol earlier this year.

Bioidentical Hormones:

These compounds have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and therefore are not being tested for purity, potency, efficacy or safety.

These products could contain unknown contaminants.

Also, bioidentical estrogen and progesterone are available in FDA-approved hormone therapy products, including:

Estradiol, derived from soy or yam sources

such as Estrace

Climara patch and Vivelle-Dot patch

Natural progesterone (Prometrium)

These products come in many different doses and forms.

So, you don't need to turn to unregulated, individually compounded products as your only source of "natural" hormones.

Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) study that was only done on postmenopausal women in the age group of 50-79 with the average age being 53.

I am sorry but I just feel that many of us were left out of this study and I feel I can not have a lot of faith in it myself.

I mean really there are a large number of women who go into menopause in their 30s (it is not rare) and many have hysterectomies in their 30s.

I just think who ever initiated this study could have done a little better in the age group it just wasn't realistic IMOH for what that is worth...

The study:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/conest_cp.htm#CS

Well I just shut up now,

Karen :)

20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is one of those areas where we really don't have adequate info to really make informed decisions. We just have to weigh everything, including our family history, and do the best we can. For me, the longitudinal study was of no help at all.

Yes, perimenopause often starts in one's 30's, even without a hysterectomy. It did with me.

Love, Mikie