Horrible Constipation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by todayisagift, Aug 15, 2003.

1. todayisagift

todayisagift New Member

I know this is semi-gross but my fiance and I just got back from Las Vegas- Hi Jan!!! And I had the worst bout of constipation I have ever had. My dr. said it might get worse upping my oxycontin. He gave me this syrup to try called generlac that is the generic name he said it puts water back in the large intestine. HE said I would have to play around with the dosage till it worked well it didn't no matter what I tried. Well anyway I ended up in the bathroom for 12 hours sick, drenched in sweat and couldn't go to the bathroom. I took the maximum amount of senokot which was 8 per day, plus 6 colace in 2 dosages and the medicine he gave me. And nothing worked eventually I went twelve hours later. I'm telling you if that ever happens to me again I will die. There is a whole story to go with that that is embarrassing that ruined our trip for 2 days ugh!!! Does anyone have any suggestions to help me? I've tried citrucel also. But I really need something that is going to work do I don't produce such dry stools I guess you would say. What works for you? Please respond. Thank you
    -Megan
  2. todayisagift

todayisagift New Member

3. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

Sorry to hear about your dilemma! I know how you feel.. I take Oxy and Im on 10mg 2 xs day /the constipation is intense, but after almost two weeks, I consistently take sodium docusate and that is a stool softener. It does work along/w tons of water, and lots of veggies and fruit, sometimes prune juice w/really work quick, but its gassy... there is a mixture of one c. prune juice, 2 c. bran, and 2 c. applesauce, mix together and store in fridge, take a about 1/4 to1/2 c. per day, that will help alot... how much oxy are you taking? does it work for you? I need my doc to up it or give me something for breakthru pain, it works tremendously, but not for 12 hours. GOod luck!, Blessings, Iggy
  4. Eastfork

Eastfork New Member

Just like it sounds Miralax is a miracle for me. I have to remember to pick up my prescription tomorrow or I'll be sorry. Once a day in a glass of water and it changed my life, no more worries on that end, so to speak. Ask your doctor for it.
    Good Luck, Mary
  5. todayisagift

todayisagift New Member

I think I will try calling him on Monday...I have asked my primary doc, my gastro, and him what to do about it. My primary said colace with the citrucel and also milk of magnesia. My gastro said the citrucel with the colace twice a day. Then when I went to the rheum I told him and he said he gives all his patients this generlac syrup which is a sugar syrup supposedly that does the job. I don't wanna mess around with it again like that cause obviously it wasn't enough. I used the whole bottle since I got it last friday. I am taking 40 mg in the morning and 80 at night. When I was in Las vegas I didn't need as much oxy though the dry air takes away a lot of the pain, something to think about for you guys. I will seriously consider this when I am on my own with my fiance someday. My Doc said that Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico are places for FM patients to visit sometime during their lives and see how they feel. I have also heard about another powder you put in your drink that is a prescription I know it starts with a K it's like Kristalose or something like that. Has anyone tried that?
    -Megan
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Megan, so sorry you had such a bad experience. I had the comstipation problem most of my life, but I found a solution!

Get 'Natural Calm' by 'Natural Vitality', either from a health foodstore or on the web.

Its a powdered form of Magnesium Citrate. You put it in hot water (4 ounces of water to a teaspoon of Magnesium), it fizzes and taste like an Alka Seltzer, sort of citrus taste.
    It not only will help with a bowel movement, but it helps the FM pain too. If you take it at night, you should have a bowel movement in the morning.

Try one teaspoon first, but you can take more. Just be sure you do not take too much as it can cause diarrhea.

It is the only thing that has ever helped me.

Also do try to drink half your body weight in ounces of water a day, that also helps. Just plain water, no sodas or flavored water will do.

Let me know how you make out. I know how awful that is to be constipated. I had locked bowels once, you never want to go there!!!!

Shalom, Shirl
  7. todayisagift

todayisagift New Member

Thanks Shirl I'll try it!
    -Megan
  8. Takesha

Takesha New Member

I know how you must feel...I just thought that I have had this problem several times and so I drink fennel tea you can usually find it at the store with constant comment and other natural teas. It work well,especially on a regular basis, and it tastes pretty good too. I hope you find a solution that work for you soon.
    Takesha

[ advertisement ]