Horrible dread

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmq, Mar 2, 2007.

1. jmq

jmq New Member

I was wondering if others have this symptom..Its not really a panic attack...at least not what I think of as panic..

What I have is a terrible feeling of sadness and dread. I want to escape from my body and cant function. I usually take a zanex and it gets rid of it but it is very scary when it comes. I feel so scared??? Any one else know what I am talking about. Its hard to explain

jmq
  2. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi,

Lately I have been experiencing an "uneasy" feeling like something bad is going to happen. Nothing in particular just something. Like jmg, I take a xanax and it gets better but it does worry me. I think I know the reason but it's still not a good feeling. My sister in law had a fatal heart attack last Friday. Maybe that is what has triggered it. I hope you all feel better soon!

God Bless,
    Bob
  3. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Sorry you are going through these horrible feelings. I can commiserate with you. Although I do have panic attacks, I also get these dread and/or sadness feelings separate from the panic attacks. It's like I worry that something bad is going to happen to my family, those I love or myself.

Sometimes I feel sad and detached from everything around me. I get scared that something will happen to my kids if they ride in the car with someone else, or go to a friend's house. I get scared that something will happen to me and I will leave them behind and no one will raise them the way I would raise them. The bottom line is, I worry too much. I have terrible restless leg syndrome at night. I wonder if my anxiety contributes to this.

I am working on it. Xanax helps for immediate results, usually. Sometimes I need to go on zoloft for about 6 months and I start to feel better (after about a month of taking it). Then I wean off and do not take it again until I go through one of these cycles. Chemical imbalance? I don't know. What do you feel your sense of dread is attributed to? Did you have a parent who had anxiety or overworried? Genetic? Maybe a bit of both genetics and chemical imbalance, I'm not sure. I try to focus on the more positive things in life and remove myself from negative people. I try to watch less negative or violent TV programming and go for the one that gives me a laugh instead. I stay involved with my kids and try to keep interested in hobbies.

Thanks for sharing your thought/feelings. It does feel good to get some of this off my chest. How do you feel on a daily basis? Do the thoughts come and go? Have you sought help? Hope you are doing okay this evening. Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2007]
  4. suzannekart

suzannekart New Member

I have had feelings like these for as long as I can remember. I never know when they will come or how long they will stay. For me it is a feeling of being cast adrift in a vast emptyness and being totally alone. I feel seperated from myself and everyone else. Extreme feelings of sadness, hopelessness and all tinged with a fear I am unable to name. I think for me the worst of it is the feeling of being so alone in the universe.
    Part of mine I can trace back to things that were said to me by my dad. Everytime I wanted to go anywhere with anyone in a car he would say no because they might have an accident and I would be killed. Everytime there would be an incident in the world, say some head of state being killed or some unrest somewhere, he would tell me another world war was starting. Then he would proceed to give our family instructions to meet in Kanas ]we lived in San Francisco] so I was always waiting for some terriable thing to happen. This has turned into a nameless fear and terriable sadness that is just under the surface. Also I beleive that having so little control over how we feel at any given time, pain, fatigue etc, makes us feel like we don't have a lot of control over things in general. Kind of a feeling that we are doomed no matter what, which makes me sad. Also we have to give up so many things and I think all of this plays into it for me. I do agree with you it is very hard to explain. I don't think I have done a very good job of really telling what it's like. I have tried to tell people so many times. Most don't have a clue. I really hate that feeling. It is good to know other people have it too. It's a little less lonely that way. When I have it I just want to run.
    Suzanne
  5. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Those feelings of horrible dread plagued me for several months last year. I started taking an anti-anxiety med and so far it has helped. I can still get this feeling when I'm suffering intense pain. I call it "crying on the floor" pain. Also, it helps when my puppy comes to lick my face when I'm in "crying on the floor" pain.

Best of luck and hope this passes soon.
    Mini
  6. mujuer

mujuer New Member

sounds like panic or anxiety to me. I suffered for a long time and was on trazadone from 1994 up until 4 months ago for panic. It worked for big attacks and little attacks. It kept them all away. Now I am going thru something else which has not be diagnosed yet and I am having severe pain attacks in my back and ribcage. As the pain hits the level 9 area, I panic and will take my percocet along with a xanax and it will subside. If this continues, I will gladly go back on trazadone so that I don't get them at all. Great book to read on panic and it may be already in it's third or fourth edition by now. It is called "Master Your Panic" and take back your life. by Denise F. Beckfield, Ph.d. It covers the why"s, the physiology, meds, and breathing techiniques. Excellent book and I have referred this to others and it has helped them. Alot of people who suffer from anxiety will also have a little agrophobia also and that is another feeling of dread also. Are you on anything for depression, like cymbalta or any long term med for anxiety?
  7. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Yes, I understand what you are talking about. I have been taking anti-depressants for about 4 years now and while I am awake I manage to hold it together as far as feeling "low" and the panic attacks are gone (I should say under control). But when I sleep ... I have the craziest, weird dreams. They are never "happy" dreams. They are more like I am lost and trying to find my way out (trying to escape I guess?). I even dreamed about my HS boyfriend that I haven't seen in 35 years! I am probably wishing for happier/healthier times? I think it is because of all the meds. But then again ... we do all feel lost and useless. I guess the subconscious takes over when I am asleep?

Maybe you need to switch anti-depressants? I did really well on Effexor, but after 14 months or so it was losing it's effectiveness. That doesn't mean it is not good. I also had the same thing happen with Cymbalta after a year.
    Now I am on Welbutrin. I am not sure how well it is working out since I have been off work on STD all of Feb. I am returning to work March 12th and that will be the real test. I have a very stressful job and the environment is extremely noisy and loaded with flourescent lighting.

You may also want to consider talking to a pyschologist or counselor. It is a major life change when you become ill with a chronic condition. It affects your whole world and everyone in it.

(((((((((( Hugs ))))))))))) Hang in there
  8. buffyr

buffyr New Member

I have had this for years. I finally got to the point that I couldn't deal with it. My doc said it can be a sign of Depression. I didn't want to be on antidepressants bur I finally started them and I am 95% better. Still have the dread and feelin of impending doom once in a while, but not all the time like I used to. I used xanax for years for it, but now only need it once or twice a month. Hope you can get some help!! -BuffyR