Horrible, INCURABLE ITCHY SCALP!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by donnadb, Jul 17, 2003.

1. KathiM

KathiM New Member

Hi..I not only had the horrible itchy scalp but also my arms so bad that i would dig them until they bleed. I have had 3 punch biopsys only to reveal....nothing conclusive.
    10 days ago a new Dr I am seeing started giving me B injections.b1,b6,b12, all in one in the hip 3 x week.......
    My itching has stopped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Also I am taking metagenics probiotics so dont know if that would have anything to do with it ???
    Good luck
  2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

if your itching was caused by an overgrowth of candida, the probiotics could definitely be helping.
  3. Stillkicking

Stillkicking New Member

If none of the other suggestions help, try some rubbing alcohol. Sometimes I have a itching problem too and found that washing my hair, damp drying, and putting alcohol on the scalp stopped the itch. Evidently this is caused by a common skin bacteria sometimes.
  4. isee

isee New Member

Read on Mary Shoman's site, I think, that itching is symptom of hypothyroidism. Lately, I notice my scalp itches more when I don't follow my schedule for Armour's thyroid
    medication that I take in 2 doses. Sometimes when I'm especially tired, my scalp itches. It's always on top of my head, the front or sides.

Anna
  5. babyzee

babyzee New Member

I've got chronic candida and sometimes it makes me itch. Antiobiotics and steroids are what made the candida much WORSE. I hesitate to use Diflucan; I try to use natural products to combat candida. Acidophilus and other probiotics and extremely helpful in getting rid of candida (yeast) in a gentle way, although not quickly. Research candida on the internet and read books like "The Yeast Syndrome" to understand it - lots of stuff out there being written about it. Something's wrong on the inside of your body, not just your skin.
  6. retrogirl

retrogirl New Member

I use the apple cider vinegar also and it helps.I don't leave it in though.I massage it in really well before I put in the shampoo and conditioner.I used to use lemon juice,but I ran out and vinegar is cheaper.If the smell bothers you-try the lemon juice.Mine is not so bad since I started homeopathic remedy for hypothyroid (coincidence?who knows)
  7. Banka8

Banka8 New Member

You mentioned you were taking Neurontin so I looked up the side effects and one of the side effects is itching. Try to remember when the itching started in relation to when you started the medication. Sometimes side effects don't show up for awhile. So if the itching started sometime after you started the Neurontin look at it as the likely culprit. Neurontin effects the nervous system.

I hope this helps you.
    Banka8
  8. donnadb

donnadb New Member

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all of your replies! I've been out of town for the last 4 days and have not had internet access until now. And yes, my head DID itch alot while I was gone!! Anyway, I wanted to respond to the neurontin question. I do have a prescription for neurontin but I haven't taken it in about 6 months... Actually, I was thinking of trying it to see if it helps!! maybe I should rethink that if it causes itching! I really DO think that it is candida related. I should get my biopsy results tomorrow and I am VERY anxious to see what the results are. The hypothyroidism is interesting! Actually, none of the Derms that I have been to have done any bloodwork at all!! Seems to me that that would have been the place to start (I'm Not A Doctor, I just Play One on the Internet--ha,ha).. Well, hopefully I'll get the results tomorrow and I'll post again! Hugs!

Donna
  9. Xtal Ivy

Xtal Ivy Member

Donnab,
    I'm late to this party - considering that you posting was made back in 2003. If your email still works and you get a note of my posting, maybe you can tell me whether your itching scalp was finally resolved. Mine is driving me absolutely nuts. I've been trying so many things, like yourself. I, too, am hypothyroid, but I'm not sure if that is connected to my severe itching. I can feel bumps in the back of my head and was told that they are scalp colored. They don't itch, I just mentioned them for what it's worth. Can you tell me the end of your story? 10 years later... did it finally get resolved?

10. Xtal Ivy

Xtal Ivy Member

Thank you whoever sent the email note with all the suggestions, I'll be trying them. I don't have dandruff or an itchy, flaky scalp. I have noticed some bumps that seem to be flesh colored. I can't tell you that's what is doing the itchy scalp, but I'm wondering if it is, then they might be increasing as time goes by. Going to the health food store today to get some tea tree oil. I certainly appreciate this website.
  11. Aussiemama53

Aussiemama53 Member

Have you tried Scalpicin? It has helped me. But what really helped me was finding out a medication I was taking was causing it. You might begin there.