Horrible Leg Pain - Dr Visit

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I went to my GP today about this horrible leg pain that wakes me in the night and is so bad I wake up crying.

I've had restless leg syndrome forever, but this was out and out pain!

Dr. says it is related to the RLS, but has gone far beyond that. He said the RLS has caused swelling around the nerves and causing more pain than just that annoying "gotta move" thing.

He added ameltriptaline (sp) to the mix. I take Lamictal for my seizures, a hormone (very mild), Inderal (blood pressure), and an antidepressent that I can't remember the name of. He felt that the amel would help with my legs and my sleep problems.

I go back next month and if there is no improvement he will do an MRI of my lower back to check for disk problems or a pinched nerve. I will ask them to check my upper back, too, as that pain is what got me to finally get checked out when I was diagnosed.

Thanks all who were concerned! I'll keep you posted.

Don't forget to stop and smell the puppies!

Hugzz!
    Greenbean
  2. darude

darude New Member

Thanks for the info!!!! Have you had a brain MRI? Just curious. I have to have spinal MRI as my legs hurt all the time now. Nothing works.
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Several brain MRI's. Never find anything (lol)!

I have had a couple for migraines and one for my seizures.

Thanks for your reply!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

4. darude

darude New Member

Let us know what happens thanks My puppy is OK
  5. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

I have been having bad pain at night in just the LOWER legs.. never had any such thing before. Weird.
    Did he add another anti depressant to you said "one you cant remember??" Can you remember the name? I would be concerned about that. Maybe look into the anti depressant you are taking and find out more about it?
    I really hope you get this resolved, I am wishing you well - Bette.
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I get all my meds except my Lamictal from the same doc. He checked to make sure this was ok to take with all the others, including Lamictal.

Really sleepy this morning, but slept better last night. Have to take this amiltryptaline (sp?) earlier. Took it at 8 last night and still feeling the effects. I'll try 6 tonight. So much for getting anything done at home!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

7. LADYBUG2

LADYBUG2 New Member

I too have had, R.L.S. for many years. My mother had it, and now my youngest daughter (37) has it.
    And , like you the pain became, worse.

Even into the day time, and I could not stand on my feet for very long..........Long Story......

I have had several MRIs, a Myleogram, and it showed
    Buldging disks L2-L3-L4-L5 & bones spurs.

The last tests I had were a:
    Thermoregulatory Sweat Test & Nerve/Mucle Needle Test

I now have a Diagnoses of, Small Fiber Neuropathy
    **Nerve Damage** and I have a computer picture
    of my body, that shows were the nerve damge is at.
    *Mostly in my Thighs & Legs.
    I also have C.R.P.S.
    I tried the amitrip.... it didn't help.

The only thing that has given me relief, was when my Dr.
    prescribed, Fentanyl Pain Patch. I now use the 100mcg.
    Take Care & Keep Us Posted, Ladybug2

8. Dee911

Dee911 New Member

Hi, my RLS got really bad I've been taking epilepsy tablets for it for years, they do help but my doctor has recently combined that and all the other meds i take with support hoisery, they are hard to get on and off but its worth the struggle, on the days i just don't have the energy to get them on my legs are alot more painful and by the evening i don't know what to do with them sometimes i just sit and cry!
    Hugs to all
  9. darude

darude New Member

Any updates?
  10. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I go in for my first injection in my back on the first of March. I have three scheduled, one every other week in March.

They did find a bulging disk in my lower back. Have to ask the doc if they looked at my mid back because that is actually where I have the worst pain.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Yesterday and today I am really hurting all over. My thighs feel bruised and battered. I took a muscle relaxer last night and my back got a little better, but still woke up in the night with my leg pain. Have had sheets of pain across my mid back from just below my armpits to about half way to my waist.

Last night was really bad. Couldn't lay on my side because it made me have back spasms. Tried laying on my back and still had them. Woke up in the night with my left bicep hurting so bad I was afraid to move anything for fear I would scream and wake my husband.

Just been a bad week so far and it's only Wednesday! I can't take off work because I will be off next week when I have my injection. Hope I can maintain with pain med at work and muscle relaxers at home.

Thanks for your concern!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!

11. patches25

patches25 New Member

My mother got terrible leg pain and no doctor could figure it out and then I thought I would discontinue one drug at a time and it turned out to be her blood pressure drug that caused it. A change in the medication and she no longer has it. Are you positive this is not from one of your drugs? E.
  12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Pretty sure it's not any of my meds. Nothing has changed in several years, but this leg pain only started a few months ago.

I take Lamictal for my seizures (taking for about 2 years), Estidoil (hormone - 2 years), Inderal (been on that one for about 8 years), and Effexor (about 2 years).

It worries me that last night I had the same type pain in my bicep!

I have mostly constant pain that doesn't change very much unless I over do it, you know, like getting out of bed! LOL!! But this is sudden acute pain that usually last 5 to 20 minutes and brings me to tears. I guess I have gotten used to the constant pain, but this new stuff is scarey.

If the injections work maybe they will relieve some of this other stuff too!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  13. spring02

spring02 New Member

Pain, it can be stabbing and debilitating. It can be like a gnawing tootache that never lets up. It can be either hot & burning. Or your limbs and extremities can either feel cold and dead. Yes, they all sound like familiar themes and for many unknown reasons, too many people are suffering from it.

I had footdrop back in the fall of 2001,from an unknown cause. As a result, I now have one arch higher then the other and I don't have a normal gait. The sole of my foot is the most sensitive area but the whole left leg from the knee down is so tight. The left arm is also affected but not as bad. Some days it feels like somebody is sticking toothpicks under my nails or squeezing my fingers and toes in a vice.

I don't have a diagnosis but do have a history of allergies, Bell's Palsy, Shingles, which are all immune related diseases. All MRI's, EMG's and EEG to date were normal. Anxiety and stress have been ruled out. My story and my symptoms have never changed. You have to wonder what the cause is when it involves your extremities, yet you haven't hurt yourself, don't have sciatia or back problems. Far too many people are undiagnosed and written off, as being suffering from anxiety, or just imagining their symptoms.

I still can't dorsiflex my left foot, although I have had physiotherapy, work out in the aquatics pool and exercise. You have to be proactive in your recovery and try to lead a healthy lifesyle and ensure you get the proper vitamins and minerals.

When my leg problems first started in the summer of 2001, I thought they were charley horses, because I was in menopause. I would walk the floor trying to shake off the pain and I practically ate pain relievers, but they didn't help. At the end of it I couldn't stand or walk on my foot because of the foot drop. Every body's pain is real to them and the support of others enduring similar situations, while participating in these forums is heart warming.

Keep up the good work and prayers and hugs to each one in your journey of pain, and hopefully RECOVERY.
  14. whalewatcher

whalewatcher New Member

Have been using requip for RLS for about 6 weeks--have had about 80% improvement but now have added voltaren for osteoarthritis pain in knees at night plus ambien for sleep. Am getting about 6 hrs sleep and waking up 1-3 times at night with some pain. Overall, requip has helped with the RLS pain and cramps. My goal is to get 7 hrs of sleep without pain or waking up--dr does not know what else to do at this point.
  15. cbella

cbella New Member

Large doses of Magnesium completely got rid of my RLS..good luck........cb
  16. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

I've had leg and arm pain, lower back pain osteo-arth. in my lower back, I'd go from the bed to the couch night after night, walk the floor until I would fall aleep from exhustion. I moved around so much at night until I had rubbed my hair off the back of my head.
    I took flexril to start with and that was a night-mare in it self.
    Then the Dr. put me on skelaxon which was better, and worked pretty good.
    I've taken tramadol for years and its a help.
    But a nurse told me about Magnesium back in Sept. of 2005.
    she said it takes 5 weeks to get into your system.
    I tried it, and its been the best thing I've taken.
    I've only taken one skelaxon in 5 months.
    the restless leg and arm pain as well as the lower back pain has almost totally subsided.I'm taking 1000 mgs. a day you may not need that much, you can tell when you've taken to much because it has a laxitive effect.Good online and read about magnesium defecentcy.
  17. kfrankstx

kfrankstx New Member

Thanks so much for the info on magnesium.
    I kept researching it online for several links for FMS. I took some last night and am already feeling better.
    You are a life saver.
    Kathy
  18. crumpton

crumpton New Member

This is not new to me but my right calf and behind my knee has a burning and deep ache like a toothache for the past week.

I had cut back on my magnesium and other supplements because of changing all my other meds around. STarted magnesium back and will have to see if this helps.

Changed from Neurontin to Lyrica within this past month and thought maybe this was why.

Can you take Lyrica with the magnesium or do you have to take them several hours apart like you do with the Neurontin?

DOes anyone know this?