Horrible Leg Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

For several months now I have had horrible pain in both legs, especially when I lay down. I feel like a steam roller is running over them and they are being crushed.

I've always had a little trouble with restless leg syndrome, but this is pure pain!

I have a doc appt on the 9th of January and hope to get some answers.

If you have any suggestions or ideas, please let me know!

Thanks!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Do you know if it is ok to Klonpin with Lamactil? I have a seizure disorder and take Lamactil everyday.

Thanks,
    Greenbean
  3. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Is the pain intense and feel like it is in the bone???
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Very Very intense. Wakes me up at night.

It feels like it goes all the way through the leg. Literally feels as though the whole leg is being crushed. Makes me think of a steam roller running over them.

Not like a cramp and I can't feel any knots like a cramp would cause. Just moving doesn't help, but sometimes walking around does.

Hugzz,
    Greenbean
  5. darude

darude New Member

Both legs here! NOn-stop pain thruout both legs. Driving me mad!!!!
  6. MsE

MsE New Member

If you are talking about that bone deep pain that combines with that feeling that comes right before a good muscle cramp, you have my sympathy. I have climbed into a tub of hot water in the middle of many nights just to get some relief. It helps.
  7. Musica

Musica New Member

I hope you get some good answers on January 9. Do you have back problems, have you ever hurt your back? Maybe lying down puts pressure on nerves or cuts them off so it causes that type of feeling in your legs. Nerve pain can manifest in a lot of ways. Might it be a worse case of restless legs?

I don't have much to offer except walking around and epsom salts/peroxide baths. The baths really are quite relaxing so might ease some of the feeling of pressure and pain.

Also, this might not even touch your type of pain, but they make sprays or lotions that temporarily relieve pain. I wondered how it could work with FMS unless you spray it all over, but spraying it (Arctic freeze or something like that) in the worst spots seems to help. Basically, it is a menthol spray. Perhaps it could at least give you some relief so you aren't going crazy with pain.
  8. blkkat

blkkat New Member

yes i get sharp stabbing,pulling,bone aching,numbness that hurts if you can understand how i mean. plus i get tingling, buzzing and a pain so bad its like im walking barefoot on a block of ice and cant get off!! i have a very hard time with standing,sitting, and sleeping. ive had every test done and nerve test done, they say its fm. i take neurontin and it calms down the tingling and i take oxycodone 20mg every day and that helps with the crushing feeling in my legs. hot baths, massage and muscle relax also helps. heating pads help too. ive read also but havent tried yet that aspercream helps. hope you get a pain free night! HUGS!!!! BLKKAT p.s i bought a feather topper for my bed and it helps also.
    p.s sorry can't spell anymore![This Message was Edited on 12/28/2005]
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Doc gave me a muscle relaxer last week after I fell on the ice. I took one just before bed last night hoping it would help my legs.

It did somewhat, but I was awake every hour. Darn, I thought those things were supposed to make you sleepy LOL!

We'll see what happens when I go see him. I'll let you know.

Thanks again!
    Greenbean
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yes, I also just posted a board to ask for advice on the exact sort of pain you have. Mine started very suddenly, and like you say, feels like one has been run over by a steam roller and worse lying down. My PT just gave me an exercise that I was sceptical of, but have to admit it has helped some. Stand up, hands on hips then arch the back as far as you are able to, try for ten times. The other one is lie on tummy ebd knees outward and touch feet together(legs and knees are more or less flat on the bed) then press feet together till you feel a tug in the buttock, try for ten times. I thought he was out of his mind when he said these would help as all I thought was PAIN, but having done these three times a day now for three days I have to admit the pain has eased to about 50%. I also answered the klonopin board, as I am really leary of taking neuroleptic drugs for pain as long term use can cause some serious problems. Depends on the dose, I suppose, but these drugs are very potent on neuro transmitters and can cause diskenesia (shakes) and even heart issues (QT interval disturbances) in some susceptable people. One has to weigh up benefits v risks. Epsom salt baths work well. Do the underssides of your feet hurt as well? Cromwell
  11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thank you! I am going to try these exercises. Does sound painful, but I will see.

Actually the problem with the bottom of my feet was what set me on the road to the FM diagnosis. I went to the pediatrist, who sent me to a PT.

Couldn't stand what the PT did because of the muscle adhesions. Turns out I have them all over. This, plus my history helped my doc make the diagnosis.

By-the-way, Cromwell, it is easier for some of use to read your posts if you break them up into smaller paragraphs. I have a tendency to skip anything that runs together into one long one. Too hard to read that way.

Thanks again!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  12. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

The pain in my leg was very intense. I had breast cancer previously and I thought that this must be cancer in the bone. I can't give any more advice than the others except I know what made my legs better. I was on Oxycontin and that was barely taking the edge off. I was also using the baths and all the other things mentioned in the other post. I started weekly massages with someone trained in trigger point & myofascial pain. She made all the difference to me. I went for 4 months on a weekly basis. It was expensive but I don't know what I would have done without it. What has not been fixed is the horrible pain in my feet and not to the same degree as my feet, my hands. I still have leg pain but not the extreme pain that you are speaking of now.

[This Message was Edited on 12/30/2005]
  13. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

My legs have been weak and wobbly since I first had fibro. Because of this, my leg muscles had to work harder than normal to keep me steady. It felt like my legs were always having to catch me to keep me from falling. This made my legs sore which made them more tired, which made the muscles work even harder, which made them hurt even more, which....... Well, you get the idea. The unsteady walking seemed to be the cause of it. I tried a cane which didn't help much, then 2 canes which was better.Although walking with 2 canes helped the leg pain, there were days I felt like I wanted a bit more support. There were 2 or 3 ladies in my support group who used forearm crutches and one of them had an extra pair she let me try and these worked great. They gave me just enough support that the leg pain got much better--as long as I used them. Of course I was only 28 and embarrassed to have anybody see me on crutches. Gradually I got over that and started usin them enough to really help. Actually, I've been using them full time since August because of a flare that left my legs weaker than before, but even then, the pain is much less than when I could walk without them.

The trick with canes or forearm crutches is to use the 2-point gait. You don't want to put a lot of weight on the crutches, else its too hard on the arms. Just lean on them a little bit for extra support. It makes a big difference. The 2-point or 4-point gait is the only way to do this.

That's what works for me.

Hugs

Jackie
  14. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I take lamictal and klonpin. I have for years. So if your muscle relaxers aren't helping, see your doctor and ask for these.

I haven't had much success with any muscle relaxers! Darn!

Kim
  15. brendahayes47

brendahayes47 New Member

I'm glad I read this,because I was worried that I might have bone cancer the way the pain is coming from the bone,muscle and joints in my legs.
    thanks Brenda
  16. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yes, I was scared about the pain being cancer too, this is why these boards are so good, it is reassuring to know others have the same symptoms.
    Cromwell
  17. darude

darude New Member

Pain throughout legs and weakness. 24/7 does not go away at all.
  18. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I know what you mean. My grandmother had bone cancer and I always worry that cancer is causing my pain. Doc reasures me everytime I see him!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean
  19. tandy

tandy New Member

I did'nt know if its from the Fibro,..or my Endo,or my back disk troubles.?? Could be from all.
    I just know they ache all the time and sometimes they feel heavy and weak too. Any position can agravate my legs too. Walking,laying down,sitting,bending. They all make it worse. (or too much of any one)
    I have to always pace or move about,changing positions.

God! how I hate evrything about this stupid darn disease!!
    leaves nothing untouched!!
    everyday its something. For once I'd like to wake up and find that nothing really hurts~ :)
    your in good company greenbean

Hugs
    Tandy
  20. brendahayes47

brendahayes47 New Member

The only way my legs will ease up is to lay on my stomach.Does this help anyone else?
    Brenda