Horrible pain after physical therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GBHope, Apr 3, 2007.

1. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I went to physical therapy yesterday. My doctor originally only wanted me to go for massage therapy, but the physical therapists won't do just that. Anyway, I went in with an order for massage therapy, that wasn't good enough, so I had another order just in case that said heat, massage, ultrasound, and gentle stretching. The therapist put me on hot packs with TENS unit on four trigger points on my back, shoulders and shoulderblades, for 15 minutes, then had me sit in a chair and did about 5-10 minutes worth of massaging very light with kind of stretching the muscle while you did it. I thought I would die last night and this morning with stiffness. He said ultrasound wouldn't help fibro pain and spasm, but then said the TENS would make it worse it it was set to high. I am very discouraged with all this and just want a light, light massage for about 10 or 15 minutes. I have a hot pack and ice packs at home already. Any advice anyone? I'm not sure that I will be able to continue because it really took a lot out of me and I'm trying to work part-time doing my medical transcription from home to supplement my disability. Help!!! LOL

GBHope
  2. debhun

debhun New Member

I went to PT and they didn't do one thing my Dr asked them to do. They do what they want and charge you a lot more money for it. My daughter does massage therapy for one hour it is $70.00. when you get you bill you will pay 300 to 500 for that day. you wait and see.

Deb
  3. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I felt terrible last night and this morning and still tonight and I have to work tomorrow. Matter of fact, I just called the massage therapist to ask her about the stuff they did and they said that TENS unit and ultrasound both will really stirr everything up, so forget that noise!!! If he can't just do heat and massage, I'll go to a massage therapist on my own and try that for like 10 or 15 minutes. I was trying to go through them though because of insurance, but it's not worth it with this amount of pain. I have severe fibromyalgia/CFS too and I am obviously going to have to start off very slowly!!!

GBHope
  4. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I see a chiro who hardly does anything except some minor pressure point work, just that takes a full day to recover from with resting, the hot water bottle, tea.

Hearing that PTs dont do what's written reminds me that hardly anyone today can follow instructions, everyone is an EXPERT and KNOWS BETTER than the person who issued the request.

Its bad enough when its clerical staff thinking they know more than the boss, when it involves professional issues like this it becomes an ethical issue of not following doctors orders.

5. GBHope

GBHope New Member

again. With trying to work part-time from home just to make ends meet, I can't afford to feel crummy like that. I need to be able to do a couple of things on my day off. I just am really frustrated and angry about the whole thing. I just wanted a little bit of massage and this guy thinks he knows what he's doing. Well it isn't working for me. That's all my doctor wanted was some light massage. I can't take it for more than a minute or two at home, and I had 15 minutes of heat and TENS and then 5-10 more of massage. At least he was really gentle with the massage. While I was there, he was trying to talk me into aquatherapy. I can't afford all that therapy copays if it is going to run me like 300 to 500 bucks just for what he did. I have literally stacks of medical bills and collection agencies bothering me for my cell phone bill I had to shut off prematurely because of lack of money. That's one of the reasons I'm trying to work at little bit.

I don't know why, but when I finished that therapy, I was really dizzy, like him messing with those muscles in my back affected my eye or neck muscles which in my case makes me loopy. It felt like my eyes were jumping all over the place. I don't need that kind of aggravation.

GBHope
  6. JessB

JessB New Member

I was warned before I started PT that these things can happen. The advise I was given was to call the Pt places, ask if any one has experience with FM and ask that persons view on handling it. I did this, called three places, and ended up with a wonderful PT person who really understands.

Her comment the first visit was, "With FM, you do 1/4 of the work at 1/4 of the pressure, because you can't handle more than that." She also says that she can hurt me(not in a mean way), so she is very good about asking if it is too much pressure and responding very well if I ask her to back off.

I do lay on hot packs afterword for about 15 minutes otherwise I end up extremely stiff and sore by the evening and the next day.

My advise, like any other doctor you may use, if they can't do what you want and need, find a new one. There are some good ones out there.

Keep Hope.
  7. California31

California31 New Member

Unless pain is under control to begin with...I think regular PT can be far too stressful...and you have to build up to the different stretches, and strength building protocols.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2007]
  8. monkeykat

monkeykat Member

Hi GBHope,
    I wanted to agree with what JessB said. You can't go to just ANY PT or OT when you have these illnesses.

I am an Occupational Therapist by trade (had to stop working). PT's and OT's don't learn about CFIDS or Fibromyalgia in school and neither do doctors.

When you graduate from school, you take a lot of educational courses at your own discretion depending on the types of clients you work with and also your own interest.

I would bet most PT's and OT's have NO idea how to work with people with our illnesses. YOu have to be very careful and not just put trust in these health professionals b/c many of them do not know what they are doing with us. Yes, they will make us worse if they don't know what they are doing.

I have written emails to my professors at the school that I attended for Occupational Therapy. Do you know that my professors still think that CFIDS is a psychosomatic disorder??? It's so appalling that they don't want to hear anything from me about the fact that these illnesses are real physical illnesses.

Anyway, I would call around and ask to speak to the PT supervisor of the department at various hospitals/PT facilities and even schools that have PT programs and ask if they can recommend someone who has a good understanding of fibromyalgia and CFIDS so that they don't do harm. I would let them know that you saw a PT who harmed you and you just can't do that to your body.

I would also let the PT that you saw know that they harmed you. They will not know how much harm they did unless you tell them. I would also let them know in a respectful way that you will be looking for a PT who has more experience working with people with these illnesses.

Anyway, I hope that you find someone who can help and not hurt you:)

Take care, Monkeykat
  9. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

you lived near me I would take great care of you for your massage!! Fibro is my "specialty" and boy I can relate too HA!

So sorry you are having trouble.

Are you SURE that your insurance doesnt cover Massage for you and not just PT? I would suggest calling the number right onthe back of your ins. card and ask the rep "what are my Massage Therapy benefits?" You should have them- most every one does. They( Ins. co's) dont really WANT to "advertise" the fact that people do. lol. But if you can find out-they will be professional of course, so dont be afraid to ask! I think you would love it and if thats all you want is 15 minutes - then thats just what you woudl get. I think they would be more inclined to listen to what YOU think YOUR body needs- not the other way around. IMHO.

Okay stepping off the box.

GOOD LUCK! Betty droop. Karen

10. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

My doctor set me up for water therapy and it was right there in ames in the hospital. i went for awhile but going twice a week but then it got to the point that it was great in the water but as i came out of the water i went from like a 5 in water to a 8 or 9 once i was out of water and then paid for it the next two or three days. i just couldn't take it anymore so stoped going. my doctor understood and just gave me some simple stretch excerises to do at home. talk to you doctor and see what they have to say about it......SueF
  11. GBHope

GBHope New Member

and told them how bad it made me. I told them I would not be back in next week and rescheduled once more, and I do say once more only if I was able to strictly get the hot pack and gentle massage. The lady at the front desk said she would pass it along to the therapist and that was fine. I also told her I would call if I was still feeling bad by the time the appt got close and if I had strictly the hot packs and massage and still had this kind of reaction, I would not be able to do it because I was so sensitive. It has taken me two days to start loosening back up and there is no way I will ever try a TENS unit again. BIGGGG mistake!!!!

I may not even go back in. I haven't completely decided, but he will not make me do anything other than the therapy I requested. I don't have the energy to go and do aqua therapy like he was trying to tell me too. I do not do well with motion and definitely don't do well with heat because of my autonomic difficulties. He said the pool was like 94 degrees. NO THANK YOU!!!!

GBHope
  12. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I have the same reaction to PT - it often leaves me in pain. But I have the exact opposite reaction to my therapist. She isn't in a big group place. She specializes in women's issues (even tho I'm a guy). She is the only medical person who actually listens to me. She comes prepared with printouts of the latest research. She gives me encouragement and helps me understand what's going on. My doctors are clueless. She isn't.

I took my father to big hospital type units for PT after a stroke. He got different people every time. They were often just interns, but they didn't tell you that unless you asked. Many were obviously incompetent. I go now to a small independent office with 3 therapists. If they were incompetent, they'd be out of business. They are all a little older and more experienced, and NO INTERNS.
  13. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

Dear GBHope: I went to PT for my fibro about 3 weeks ago. The PT started off by doing a full assessment. She had me moving and stretching in all different directions to see what I was able to do. I was very uncomfortable. My dh came with me and he could tell that I was hurting. The next visit, she had asked me what part of my body hurt the most and I told her my lower back (left side). She then began doing ultrasound on my neck and shoulders. I wanted to cry it hurt so much. She used the metal ball thing and kept pushing on my neck and around my shoulders. I told her it hurt, but she said that is was "normal." By that night I could hardly move my head or arms. I was very discouraged. I then went back and the other PT that I had seen was out so I got to see another PT. The second one was much better. She discovered that my right leg is 1 cm shorter than my left and that my pelvis is off because I have had a total right hip replacement about 1 1/2 years ago. She put a lift in my shoe and boy was I sore after that appointment, but at least I felt that she had done something that would eventually help.

When I went back the next visit, the 1st PT was back and she spent the entire time undoing and commenting on what the other PT did. When she asked me how I felt after the ultrasound on my neck, I told her that I was in a lot of pain after. She basically made me feel like I was crazy because it "always" helped her patients. I knew right then and there that I was not going back.

I went to my doctor and I asked her if the place that she sent me was the place that she had intended for me to go because I did not think that they knew very much about FM or CFS. She said no and that she wanted me to see a PT that specialized in myofacial pain release and FM.

That was about 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting for the referral to the "new" PT. So, I truly understand how you feel. It is so hard to explain to PTs that most things they do for "normal" people, just set us back even further.

Thank you for allowing me to share my experience. I hope we all can finally get the medical treatments we need without having to suffer any more than we already do.

((((hugs))))
    Kelly
  14. bluenoser100

bluenoser100 New Member

I have quit PT every time I get talked into going. It really killed me. I had to go 3 x a week and the days inbetween I was bed ridden. The PT I had had Fibromyalgia herself and knew what she was doing. I was a OT assistant and had to leave it. The PT worked on me then hired me as a PT aide. However I didn't make it too long and haven't worked since 1996. Tens hurt so bad I couldn't put any eight on my body to even walk. Also the spray and stretch made me sick to my stomach. The hot packs were great while they were on but worse when I got off them and way to much heat as I can't stand heat. Another problem Scaral release and soft tissue release although she went very slowly were the worse pain I figured I suffered enough that noone could even hug me let alone to let someone give me more pain. Why don't Doctors listen when we tell them it hurts not helps? I think sometimes they are at a lose themselves and this is their way of trying to get us help. I used to do aquatics with patients and had to leave it as well as how could I help others and tell them this will work when I know how I tensed up and was worse off after it. At the end of my working the patients wouls tell me to crawal into the bed I looked like I needed it more then they did.

I wonder if anyone else has any of the other problems I have? Hypothroid,MVP,TMJ,GERD,IBS,pernicious and iron deficency annemias, raynauds,phrephial neuropathy,osteoporosis,osteoarthertis,Fibromyalgia,CFS,fuch's corneal dystrophy,vertigo,orthostatic hypotension,scolosis,lordosis,kyphosis,

I went before the judge in 1996 and won a disability case however I didn't have enough work credits to get SSDI so I had checks of my Husbands SSI and when his income went up 3 years ago they took the checks away. I recently aplied again and was denied because the people they sent the forms to said I wasn't being treATE FOR ANYTHING. cAN YOU BELIEVE THAT !!!!!!!! i GET A LOT OF PERSCRIPTIONS AND HAVE HAD THIS DOCTOR FOR 2 AND HALF YEARS AND HE KNOWS ABSLOUTELY NOTHING ABOUT EXCEPT ANNEMIA. hE FILLS ALL MY PERSCRIPTIONS AND SAYS HE TREATS NOTHING iT IS INCREDIABLE. i'M LEANING TO THE RIGHT LIKE A LEANING TOWER OF PIzza ( opps sorry caps lock on ) I keep falling backwards and to the right. I have a moderate risk of ostoporosis in my hips and mild risk in my spine. I am waiting it's been three months to get this Dr to put prior approval in for my State insurance since I can't take anything but mycalcin nose spray. I guess they would rather I broke my hip and go through surgery then to give me a perscription. I get very frustrated and react after the fact because mymind doesn
    t work fast anymore and it takes a while to digest it and I blow a cog :) I can barly pick up a cup of tea as far as weight goes. I tried several forms of exercise and jumping on a mini trampoline was the least pain howeve my heartbeat was going over 152 and thats heart attack levels. I try to move because I get so stiff I can't move if I don't. Thanks for listening, Barbara
  15. GBHope

GBHope New Member

It's been very informative. I just hope if I do go back, that the PT guy does not try to bully me. I am not going to be pushed into anything. I am NOT like everyone else.

GBHope
  16. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

GBHope,

I sympathize with your problem. I fell at work in November and banged up my knee badly. After doing all of the accident reporting, etc., I was required to go to a orthopedic doctor who recommended PT. I complied.

The young lady who did my PT was absolutely wonderful but I stayed in a horrendous flare the entire time I was going (6 weeks) and she knew it. She worked with me on so many different gentle exercises; it just didn't work. When I went back to the doctor he realized that my "cure" was killing me, he stopped the PT. He wouldn't even approve water therapy, just mild exercises at home. I actually feel much better since I haven't been going.

I has also decided that massages are out for me which makes me very sad. I only get hot stone massages and they feel so good in the beginning. By the time I roll from front to back, my neck and back are so knotted again that I'm in pain from that time on. It takes me using hot pads for a week to get the knots out.

Even pleasure can't be pleasurable anymore.

Gentle Hugs,
    Pam
  17. GBhope I recently went to Pt for my shoulder/neck and the gal wanted me in the pool. I did it once and that was it. She did tens machine on me. (I have one at home so I can do that at home) I went the next time and told the guy I had before that I didn't come for pool for my neck. I mean my neck isn't in the water so why go in a pool? I told him my dr. wanted ultrasound and massage (I lied about massage but I had it once before and it felt so good)

I told him otherwise I was going to quit. He said don't do that, he took over the case and the massage (it was wonderful), exercises and ultrasound really helped. But now two wks later, I am back to where I was. Even though I do the home excersises.

My rheum. told me too much exercise and overdoing is bad for fibro, there is a medium level we have to stop at.
    good luck.
  18. GBhope I forgot to add, did you go to your family dr. or a rheum? My rheumatogist said PT would only give me temp. pain relief and then comes back, and he was so right unfortunately.
  19. GBHope

GBHope New Member

She didn't actually send me to physical therapy. Only did that so I could get the massages paid for. If I manage to go back in there and just the hot packs and massage make me worse, I'm done. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I don't think the PT guy knows entirely what he's doing. He said the ultrasound wouldn't help at all. I have no intention of going to therapy all the time. It's just to much for me. I have been feeling horrid ever since I went in there and really struggling. I am very hesitant to go back because we are so oversensitive. He was trying to tell me he didn't know if hot packs were a good idea and he was trying to tell me that my bendable massager was not a good idea unless it was on low. Well, I got news for him, they feel good in moderation. I have been using them for years to get the knots out. I also have a Thera-Cane. the best thing I've found is when it gets really bad, having my son rub the knot for a minute and that helps it let loose, but I can only take a couple of minutes.

GBHope
  20. monkeykat

monkeykat Member

Hi GBHope,
    Good for you. It is important for therapists and all health practitioners to listen to their patients. You, as the patient, know your body better than anyone else. A wise therapist will listen to their patient.

Keep on listening to your body and insisting that you know what works and what doesn't. I've taken medicines from doctors that have almost destroyed me at times and I knew that I shouldn't take them but I would get a bit intimidated by them. I've learned how much I suffer if I don't stand up for myself. Don't be bullied by anyone:)

Go in and only allow what you have requested. If they go to do something else then politely let them know that you are leaving unless they give you a massage.
    Take care, Monkeykat