Horrible pain in ribs!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Dec 24, 2011.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

My ribs on my sides and around the back ACHE horribly. Sometimes I have to lay on the heating pad in bed. Is this chostochondritis? It does not hurt in the front (unless I touch it but that's all over). Help!

Sonya
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It sounds like costo but it could be something else. Better to be safe. Good luck.

Love, Miki
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

My ribs hurt like this also. It does sound like chostochondritis.

Kinda like someone hit you with a baseball bat. Mine can feel tight also. Getting real cold or doing to much will flare mine.

My mother just went thru major testing and was told this was what was wrong. treatment was-heat anti inflammatories and no heavy lifting. Hers settled in her sterum.

Wouldnt hurt to be cked out tho. Any systems of pneumonia?
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

If you have costochondritis, it can be caused by a chronic Bartonella infection.
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

The cold does indeed make it much worse. My theory on that is that the pain is worsened from the muscles contracting like when you shiver or get goose bumps. As for the question of pneumona, I have a cold but dont think it's gone further. Thanks for your reply. I have rrad about costo but you usually hear that it's in the front.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I had costo in CO from the chronic bronchitis and asthma I suffered during the winter, I would get a shot of steroid in between the two sore ribs where they connect to the sternum. It is inflammation which causes this pain and the pain can travel throughout the ribcage, out the back and down the arm. When it never lets up and one cannot sleep, a steroid shot may be the lesser of two evils.

Love, Mikie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I had costo in CO from the chronic bronchitis and asthma I suffered during the winter, I would get a shot of steroid in between the two sore ribs where they connect to the sternum. It is inflammation which causes this pain and the pain can travel throughout the ribcage, out the back and down the arm. When it never lets up and one cannot sleep, a steroid shot may be the lesser of two evils.

Love, Mikie
  8. Picklington

Picklington New Member

Could also be due to hypermobile joints if you have them? My ribs slip around more than they should and have to be put back in place by a chiropractor every 5-10 days. I thought it was costochondritis for a long time.
  9. MJSLawrence

MJSLawrence New Member

I have this too. It's not ALWAYS as severe and sometimes the pain is just in other places but my ribs and around my back get the same way and just to touch them is excruciating at times. I thought this was typical for a majority of fibromyalgics although after reading thru these responses maybe not??

It's so hard to find a decent support group with any real, personalized information and even harder when fibromyalgia can be so different from person to person.
  10. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Thanks for your reply. You are totally right about fibro being different from person to person. But even one person validating helps. You have fibro; you have the same issue. That helps. In this case I was just wondering if this was costo since I am sure it's fibro. Every day we are getting stronger even as our bodies get weaker.
  11. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have this ALL the time - mostly the ribs, sometimes the sternum and even the collarbone. I use heat and take Tylenol. I can't take NSAIDS. I think it's a fibro thing with me.

The only thing to be aware of, is if you have major pain when taking a deep breath, then I would follow up with a doctor if you have a cold in the event it could be pleurisy.

Sorry you have this malady - it's not fun!