Horrid Smell

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by glenpr, Mar 19, 2008.

1. glenpr

glenpr New Member

I havent has this for awhile, forgotten about it, until today. Its different again. I smell something horrid, like a mix of lemon oil, bad bo, cleaning fluid etc. nauseating. Does anyone else smell these smells that are not really there?

love glen
  2. romalaw

romalaw Member

When I first became ill with cfs ten years ago I experienced phanthom bad smells. Sometimes it would smell like burned coffee grounds, then a yeasty smell, other unsavory ones that I can't describe. Also a kind of nail polish remover smell whenever I had a couple of drinks. Other times it seemed that whatever I ate gave off an odor. No one else around me ever seemed to notice these smells. It's really an unpleasant experience.

As time went on, my sense of smell has gradually diminished so I don't know if that's a factor in the bad smells going away. I was always afraid to ask the doc about it, was afraid he'd think I was crazy!!
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

it was just me. Sometimes I think my body smells like the Armour thyroid I take. My husband doesn't smell it.
  4. poets

poets Member

I smell phantom smells as well. But the weird thing is I don't smell them until evening and night time. It starts about 7 or 8 PM and lasts until I go to bed and sleep. Then in the morning, it's gone. It smells like cigarette smoke. No one ever smoked in this house as we are the original owners and it's new. We don't allow it. I smell it pretty much no matter where I am.

5. glenpr

glenpr New Member

After all maybe we have a better sense like dogs do.
    lmaf---------- makes you wonder doesnt it

love glen
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

If this is new, you might consider seeing your doctor. See info below.

Some disorders can distort the sense of smell, making innocuous odors smell disagreeable (a condition called dysosmia). These disorders include the following:

Infections in the sinuses
    Partial damage to the olfactory nerves
    Poor dental hygiene
    Mouth infections

Viral hepatitis, which may cause dysosmia that results in nausea triggered by otherwise inoffensive odors
    this is something new, I would mention it to your doctor. Sometimes neurological problems can cause smell disorders.

Treatment depends on the cause of a smell or taste disorder. For example, sinus infections and irritation may be treated with steam inhalation, nasal sprays, antibiotics, and sometimes surgery (see Nose and Sinus Disorders: Treatment).

Nutritional deficiencies need to be corrected. Tumors are surgically removed or treated with radiation, but such treatment usually does not restore the sense of smell. Polyps in the nose are removed, sometimes restoring the ability to smell. People who smoke tobacco should stop. Other recommendations may include the following:

Changing or stopping a drug
    Sucking on candy to keep the mouth moist
    Improving dental hygiene
    Waiting several weeks to see if the cause of the problem (such as the flu) disappears
    Rarely, zinc supplements, which can be purchased without a prescription, are effective, especially for distortion of smell or for reduction or distortion of taste when no cause has been identified.

7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Odor hallucinations are a possible symptom of a chronic borrelia burgdorferi infection.....please go to this link and do the symptom checklist in the back of this booklet. If you have numerous symptoms, be suspicious.

Many people with FMS, CFS, MS diagnoses and others, later found out that the CAUSE of their syndomes (just sets of symptoms given a name) was a chronic borrelia burgdorferi infection (lyme). Borrelia is a bacteria which can cause all of the same symptoms as FMS, CFS, etc.

Notice that FMS, CFS, MS, RA, Parkinsons, etc all have "no known cause". All can be caused by borrelia burgdorferi infection.

check out the symptom checklist in the back of this informative booklet....

more info from a leading expert...

If I can help you in any way, please leave a post for me on the lyme board.
  8. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I'm sure it drives you nuts to have weird smells like that and wonder why.

My daughter has migraines too, but we just found out she also has lyme.

You are correct that your negative lyme test means nothing. A Lyme ELISA/screen/titer/IFA misses at least 75% of lyme cases and a western blot done by labs other than Igenex is worthless because they do not test for all bands and their testing methods are flawed.

Even the overall interpretation of my Igenex western blot was negative, but the individual band results are what is important, which indicated I do have lyme.

Lyme is never ruled out with a lab test, although that is exactly what thousands of Dr's do all the time, leading to years of undiagnosed chronic lyme for many, many people.

Hope you get some answers.
  9. outofstep

outofstep Member

Brain infections due to herpesviruses can cause olfactory hallucinations
  10. Jordane

Jordane New Member

I have a LOT of trouble with smells. Cooking food,oven, mostly,..coffee,...burnt smells...people who take garlic pills,and are near me...this ALL causes severe nausea for me.
    These are smells that my family don't even notice. If I am cooking a roast...any kind of meat...in the oven, or frying foods,...I have to shut myself in my bedroom and keep the door closed and the window open some.
    I eat a lot of gravol.

11. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

Never had a good nose. Then CFSsinceFeb91; Auto exhaust, rubber, non-existent BO, etc. Comes and goes.
  12. pearls

pearls New Member

I've had problems with this, and I'm not so sure they were hallucinatory. People with fibromyalgia are often hypersensitive to sound, light, vibrations, touch, and so forth. The same is true for a lot of our pain. Feelings inside our bodies that might not rise to the level of consciousness in a normal person can cause us a lot of discomfort and pain. I think the same could be true of odors.

-Pearl S.
  13. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, glenpr and the group.

I have a hypothesis to offer you to explain this phenomenon:

In the "ceiling" of the nasal cavity inside the nose, there are small patches called the olfactory epithelium. This epithelium is composed of olfactory neurons and supporting cells (aka sustentacular cells). There are also cells that secrete mucus.

The olfactory neurons have little fingers on their surfaces, called cilia. These protrude into the nasal cavity and are covered with mucus secreted by the cells that make it. The olfactory neurons are specialized to detect certain types of molecules, which produce certain distinctive smells. The neurons that detect the same substance are coupled together, and their signals are sent to the brain via the olfactory nerve.

Now, here's the key part: one of the inportant jobs of the sustentacular cells is to break down the substances after they have been detected by the olfactory neurons. This is necessary to clear the "detector" so that it will sense newly arriving molecules. It is also necessary because some of these substances are toxic.

The sustentacular cells incorporate cytochrome P450 molecules to break down these substances in Phase I detoxication. The concentrations of these molecules are actually higher in the sustentacular cells than they are in the cells of the liver, where much of the body's detoxication goes on.

As the CYP 450 molecules to do their job, they generate superoxide ions, which are oxidizing free radicals. These are converted to hydrogen peroxide by superoxide dismutase enzymes. Now here's the problem: Glutathione is necessary to take care of the hydrogen peroxide, so that it does not do damage to the cells, and so that the detoxication can continue. But in CFS, glutathione is depleted. The result is that the sustentacular cells cannot do their job properly. This can cause the sense of smell to become very sensitive, and it can cause smells to persist. It can also allow damage to the membranes of the neurons, and can allow toxic substances to enter the neurons and to be transported to the brain. I believe that this latter process is responsible for multiple chemical sensitivity.

If anyone wants to test this hypothesis, there is a glutathione nasal spray available by prescription from Key Pharmacy in Kent, Washington. This is commonly prescribed for MCS, but I think it would probably help with the odd smells as well. I would be very interested to hear whether this would work.

Ultimately, the solution to this problem and to CFS in general (in most cases, at least) is to lift the partial methylation cycle block, which is what holds glutathione down. I have posted several times about the Vitamin Diagnostics methylation pathways panel for testing for the partial methylation cycle block and the simplified treatment approach for treating it.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,