Horse People W/ FMS--Talk to Me!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by horsegal, May 10, 2003.

1. horsegal

horsegal New Member

I would just like to hear from people like me. FMS has changed nearly everything I do. Chores, cleaning feeding, riding. My husband does a lot of this for me now, and he isn't a horse person, which in turn makes me feel guilty. I used to do it all. I am still riding some and I am trying to compete. People at the shows couldn't figure out why I was riding so badly. Then when I tell them, they look blank. I don't have the strength I did nor the balance. Often, I enter ahead of time and then when the day gets there, I'm having a bad, bad day. Anyway, if there's anyone else out there....I'd really like to hear from you. Everyone has been a big help, but there are some specifics that only a rider could answer.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Afraid I can't help, I gave up riding a longtime ago. I know we have several people on the board who do still ride and have their own horses, so hopefully one of them will see your post.

The board is slow on the holidays, and the weekend, so if necessary, bump your own post up if necessary.

Good luck with your horses, I simply love them too.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. judywhit

judywhit New Member

Hi horsegal,
    I am 43, married for 23 years, have two beautiful daughter, one very handsome husband and 4 stunning geldings!
    We have all gaited breeds and ride only trails. 2 gaited Morgans colts, My 5 yr old Tennessee walking horse and hubby has a 13 yr old Missouri Fox trotter. We are members of the backcountry horseman of America and ride every chance we get. The only reason I am still able to ride is: 1.) I ride a gaited breed which is so smooth.
    2.) I have an orthoflex saddle that is very comfortable and extremly padded.
    3.) pain meds.
    4.) Hubby does ALL the horse work!
    I went camping with a womens group a few weeks ago with my horse and rode 11hrs in two days over some very difficult terrain and I was plum tuckered and over did it. But, I did take it easy for the days after and did not flair as much as I would have expected. I have not rode since but then the weather has not been good. We are planning several more camping trips and this just keeps me going....love to camp!!
    As far as showing in the ring I COULD NEVER do it with this DD. The stress would send me over the edge! In fact when the girls were younger and they would show I was sick alot! With showing it is too fast paced, competative and intense. Just thinking about it makes me cringe. When the girls were showing it was not a happy time for us- every weekend we were getting up at the crack of dawn hurrying up just to wait, wait and wait more until your class is called . Now our retreats to the mountains with our horses is what I live for, so relaxed. I hope you can continue to enjoy your horse and can find peace while you are riding. I think we all must have passions in life but sometimes our passions can add stress too. The wonderful thing about riding and owning horses is that there are many avenues in which you can enjoy them. We have a gal named Tibbie on our board who has cow horses and team pens, some hunter jumpers and trail riders such as myself. you will be hearing from them I am sure. Well gotta run.
    Do you take supplements?? This post is kinda jumbled because I had to take a pain med today. sorry.
    Judy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2003]
  4. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

My cousin who raises arabian`s and has the largest llama ranch in northern Amer. She put me on a horse when I was 4 never wanted to get off. She was a supurb equeastrian,there was not a part of her large room that did not have a trophy or ribbon. I had always wished I had more access to. City folk get aliittle testy about all that brown stuff they leave behind, so do these old folks would get there crotches all in a bunch here. My cousin now is in Sisters OR. with her Arabians. Her mom at 95yr. just sold her last Arabian. Still has llama`s & labs her daughter sent her. I really miss riding or just being near. I love the smell~~~~ even,you know. I used to go to dime store to just sit on horse outside. I tried helping out a gal working with disabled kids, she used her horses. I was down for 2 wks. DANG. I will have to go to KMart they have 1, people may snicker but it is as close as I may get now. Horses are just wonderful. OH, my mom said my neice just bought 3 retired race horses. Just she is in Ohio too. TOO far. DARN! It is great therepy mentally....
  5. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Every moment horseback is a treasure now. I had to let go of the competitive thing. I dearly love to event, but I can only hope to take my immensly talented percheron/thoroughbred gelding to one event a year on our goal to an eventual preliminary level, or one star rated three day event which is our dream. I've been to training level on several other horses, many that I have trained myself. It may take us eight years to get there, but we have the talent to do it, and the support and the trainer to do so. We're pretty solid at novice right now, 2'11", and through a grid 4' is NOTHING to him, but he really has to get out and see new things besides our cows! But a show or two a year, and a serious clinic or two a year is what I can afford, both financially and physically.
    But this has immense blessings. I have learned to take riding lessons/clinics from the true masters, not just some shmoe who hangs out a shingle to yell at you, "put your heels down, no, no, didn't you SEE that spot! WHY can't you do that better!" And I learn enough from the true masters to keep me learning for six months at a stretch. One such teacher was short listed for the olympic squad in dressage in the 1980s an learned under Col. Alois Pojhadsky, who ran the Spanish Riding School in Vienna for 40 years. She rode four horses a day under him for four months. Another of my western teachers is a true horse whisperer, and a follower of Tom Dorrance. This teacher of mine can have a mustang truly gentled and ridden in a day. Both of these trainers know that a horse is never "being a jerk", but is only behaving the best it knows how under the given circumstances. My two AQHA fillies are three and four, and bred for the cutting arena. I bred them myself, and couldn't be happier with how they turned out. I just wanted ranch horses, but they are gorgeous, friendly and cow savvy and soo much fun and so easy to train.
    I will write more later when I have time, but in general, I have changed my perspectives as well as my actual horses and I am actually much happier. I hope that you can find a change for the better within yourself and enjoy your horses for what they are, and have fun with that. I, too had to show, show, show. But now I just love to ride.
    Love,
    Tibbie
  6. jka

jka New Member

we have 4 horses and a mule.i ride very little now because i get so stiff and then it's hard to get on& off the horse.my daughter was in 4-h for 8 years. my husband rides alot and does packing trips.i never competed,just rode for fun.now i do short trips.i know what you mean about your balance.if you're having a hard time walking-you'll have a hard time riding!try yoga (beginners)and you might try to find a chiroprator who knows something about fibro.
    wish i could help you more!

kathy c
  7. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Glad to meet you. I too have had horses most of my life. I would not be able to keep my mare were it not for my non-horsey husband. He has built and mended miles of fences for me. I manage the feeding because, fortunately, we are able to pasture them. Both my appaloosa and my grandson's POA cross are very easy keepers. They get just enough grain in the afternoon to assure that they charge up to the house every time they hear a door open. I had to sell my Arabian after I broke my back in 1999. I spent the next 1 1/2 years looking for a gentle gaited horse. I don't know how many times I answered an ad, was told the seller had exactly what I was looking for, and watched them lunge an 18 - 20 year old air head for 45 minutes before pulling it out of the rafters and offering it to me for a test ride. Yeah, right! I called one lady who had several horses advertised, told her what I needed, and she told me that she had exactly what I wanted, then proceeded to describe the mare I now own. A green broke, 4 year old appaloosa of unknown breeding. I walked into the paddock she was in and she walked up to me and put her head on my chest. She is nowhere near what I was looking for, and exactly what I needed. I grew up in Idaho, and vaguely remembered that the true appaloosa was a gaited horse, but never even considered the breed when I NEEDED a gaited horse. I do trail rides, but not nearly often enough, as my horsey neighbors have moved away. I am hoping that after we move my grandson will go with me, as I hate to ride alone. There is just too much that can go wrong. The community that we plan to go to is a planned development designed for horse people, so I hope to be riding at least a few times a week. If all else fails, I can at least use the community arena. I would love to be able to do some horse camping, but it would need to be somewhere with fishing so Hubby would not be too bored. We used to camp quite a bit, but the couple we liked to go with have died and it is not nearly as much fun alone, not to mention twice as much work. It was so nice to sit by the fire in the evening and play UNO or Phase 10 while watching the critters watch us.
    Kathryn
  8. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I have three horses. One is a full blooded arabian mare named Ginger. The other two I just recently bought from a horse auction. One is a palomino, the other is red with a black mane and tail. Their names are Cinnamon and Sugar. My daughter named them, she says they are the "spice girls" haha! None of my horses are broke to ride, but I am hoping to work with them this summer, maybe someday I will ride them. I know it is good exercise to get out and brush them. My husband is busy building me a new barn for Mother's Day. I think that is terrific. I also have dogs as big as some horses, Great danes. They are really good dogs, big babies, haha! I love animals!
  9. lease79

lease79 New Member

I still own a horse (she resides at a friends place,) but pretty much had to give up riding years ago. Which sucks as I am only 23, (I have been riding since I was little.)
    I haven't competed in an event since I was about 16, but I kept riding regularily until I was about 18.
    At that stage with a little baby & being in pain alot of the time I gave back the two horses that I had on free lease.
    By the time I was 21 Jace & I decided to move our family into the town, so we were closer to all facilities (shops, doctors etc..) So even though it broke my heart I had to ask a friend who owns a farm if she could have Mistic out there.
    Mistic is 24, so she probably hasn't got a lot of time left. Jace takes the girls out to see her & give her carrots & apples quite a bit. They are proud of 'Mummy's horse'. I just wish I could do stuff with her, even if it was just to take her for a much needed walk.
    The friend where she is staying wants me to teach her children to ride, but I just don't have the energy to do it these days :(

Lease
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Could you please take further horse posts to the Chit Chat Forum to free this space up for illness-related posts. Thank you.

Love, Mikie
  11. Laura62

Laura62 New Member

Both my sis and I have problems related to autoimune issues and horses...

In her case she developed severe asthma/alergies..

In my case, lots of fatigue...

For me, I gave up my own horses and now just ride my neighbors...

The problem I am faced with, is my daughter wants one of her own...

That would mean, back to the show ring, and all the running around involved...I'm not sure I want to go back to that routine, but I have found a lot of support through others in the horse communty, willing to take her with them much of the time...

I suppose I should be asking your advice as to how you deal with the fatigue. Horses are such a joy, but they are also a "full time" joy...:)

Thanks,

Laura