Horse Therapy-What's Your Passion?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tibbiecow, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Does anybody out there have horses that they use to mentally get away from this DD?
    I love to ride and it makes me so high that sometimes I overdo it some and suffer the pain consequences...
    Tell me about your horse, where and how you ride.
    We have a cattle ranch, two AQHA cutting horse fillies, 3 and 4, that I'm training to be our ranch horses (but no roping) and I love eventing, dressage and jumping and have an enormous black percheron/tb gelding who is 11 and a gorgeous mover and can jump 3'9" like it's nothing and looks like something out of a Vavra photo when he's excited. Although he does look rather like a plow horse when he's half asleep...
    Tibbie
    [This Message was Edited on 03/29/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/29/2003]
  2. acupuncture

acupuncture New Member

Hi- So glad to read your post. I could go on and on but I'll try to keep it brief. I've loved horses my whole life. I've ridden quite a bit. But never had a horse of my own. My son who is now 16 started riding year ago. He was living in Sacramento with his Dad and met a wonderful trainer. My son is one of these naturally talented riders and horses love him. Anyway, he recently moved back with me and his trainer was ill with FM. She and I had become long distance friends. She needed to cut back her schedule so I agreed to take one of her horses to take care of and my son to ride. The horse arrived this Wed. On Thurs. night our friend died of a heart attack at age 47. We are so sad. But very happy to have "Murphy" with us. He arrived just in time. Being out at the barn makes me want to get well again sooooo badly. I have fallen in love with this horse. Many years ago I jumped and did dressage but not at a real high level. I loved it. Yes! I think horses can heal. It sounds like you have a wonderful life. Here is San Diego land is scarce and expensive so we're lucky to have found a stable nearby.
  3. acupuncture

acupuncture New Member

Hi- So glad to read your post. I could go on and on but I'll try to keep it brief. I've loved horses my whole life. I've ridden quite a bit. But never had a horse of my own. My son who is now 16 started riding year ago. He was living in Sacramento with his Dad and met a wonderful trainer. My son is one of these naturally talented riders and horses love him. Anyway, he recently moved back with me and his trainer was ill with FM. She and I had become long distance friends. She needed to cut back her schedule so I agreed to take one of her horses to take care of and my son to ride. The horse arrived this Wed. On Thurs. night our friend died of a heart attack at age 47. We are so sad. But very happy to have "Murphy" with us. He arrived just in time. Being out at the barn makes me want to get well again sooooo badly. I have fallen in love with this horse. Many years ago I jumped and did dressage but not at a real high level. I loved it. Yes! I think horses can heal. It sounds like you have a wonderful life. Here is San Diego land is scarce and expensive so we're lucky to have found a stable nearby.
  4. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I know not everyone on this board is blessed or even wants to be blessed with the passion of riding horses and owning them. However, I do believe that the healing of any illness begins with one having a passion that is used for an escape. Perhaps our passions will not heal us but it gives us a sense of wellbeing when we are involved in something we love. So, in answer to your question tibbie yes, I use horse therapy!!! Hope we do not get in trouble here for talking a bit of horse just to introduce ourselves and our hobbies. In fact that would be a great thread to start!
    My hubbie and I have 4 horses. We have two young colts which are my husbands passions! he loves to do the ground work with them. They are about 2yrs old now and both are gaited morgans. I have a Tennesse Walking horse and Husband has a Missouri Foxtrotter. Our passion is trail riding and getting into the backcountry when the snow melts and pack in. We took a nice ride this afternoon about a 3hr loop. I believe that my passion for riding is what is keeping me fighting this DD because when that truck and trailer leave the farm I want to be in it!!!! I am planning on a camping trip with just women in a couple of weeks. We will bring the horses. I am kind of nervious because my hubby helps me so much with the grooming, feeding and saddling of my horse. I feel as if I am coming out of this flair and I know that I have to pace myself. When I get the sleeping thing handled I think my healing will come and be managable. The gaited horses are very easy on the back and the joints so this is why we have chosen this breed. Tibbie it sounds as if you have alot of fun on your cow horses and eventing!!!!
    So, I think everyone with this DD should have a passion! Hey tibbie, perhaps you can edit the heading on your post to say. Horse therapy- whats your passion. Great topic.
    Be Blessed,
    Judy
  5. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

YES and Yes, There seems to be a real healing elament to connecting with horses or any animal for that matter. Just happens to be my sickness has always been horses. I was born with them and grew up thinking they were just a normal thing in life. I have made my living with horses and loved it every minute. Now that my life has been so tipped upside down I haven't been so involved with them. But funny you should bring this up as last week I brought home my friends horse as she has been asking me to ride him for quit a while. Really had a great affect on me so I know I need to figure out a way bring one of my horses with me. I even went so far as to go back out to the track and start getting back on horses in the mornings. I still may do that.

So, great subject, thanks for bringing it up and good luck to everyone that sees the benefit to getting involved and active IT is great therapy! HUGS.....PAM
  6. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Reading this thread with great interest. I have always loved horses myself, I took riding lessons in my early twenties, and could not do it. Did not understand what was wrong with me at the time--I had pretty much no muscle tone, and riding lessons for 1-1/2 years did not improve my muscle tone at all. I guess the weird muscle problems were the precursor to full-blown CFS/FM. Anyway, I literally could not keep my feet in the stirrups when the horse was trotting or cantering due to lack of muscle strength. Also could not handle the reins because my arms were too weak.

I guess my question is--where on earth do you get the strength and energy to ride???

Hippo
  7. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Horses have been my life also. I was a vet tech, QH and TB racehorses. I cared for 6 stallions, and over 200 mares during breeding and foaling season. During foaling season, I worked nites as the midwife, some nites foaling out 4 and 5 mares.
    I had twenty five horses at home, for many years, predominately race broodmares, a few QH'es racing, and my QH gelding, which I raised from an orphaned colt, broke, and trained. I showed at him at halter, western equitation, and western pleasure. He was an exceptional horse. I also had an Arabian gelding I trained for cutting and endurance--a wonderful breed with fine attributes, differing from my favorite--the QH. For awhile I got into barrel racing, but just could only stretch myself so thin.
    Unfortunately, I am home bound now---and I do so miss that part of my life--I was healthy--outdoors, doing that which I love best. I sold all the horses, except for a AAA daughter of Go Man Go who was born in 1969 and died in 1999, in my pasture. She had produced many AAA runners and Halter champs. She was a rare daughter of Go Man Go, as most of his mares were homely and quit difficult to get along with. She was out of a Double Bid mare, and got that disposition, and beauty, but the speed of Go Man Go.
    OH, my I have gone on, haven't I? It was a fun trip down memory lane for me, though.....I do miss that dearly. Thank you for starting this post and letting me relive some very happy memories. That in itself is good therapy :)
    Best wishes, and keep up your therapy!
    LL
  8. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

and could no longer sit his trot. I then searched high & low for a gentle, gaited saddle horse. After spending 1 1/2 years looking at 15 - 20 year old Tennessee Walking Horses that I would not even take for a test ride, I would up with a green broke, 4 year old Appaloosa mare of unknown pedigree. She is nowhere near what I was looking for, but exactly what I needed. I suspect that she was bred on a reservation, as she has one split ear, and is of obvious foundation breeding. When my grandson came to live with us, I found him a POA/Welsh gelding that is small enough for him to ride now, but big enough that he won't outgrow him. He is a fat, lazy little guy that is perfect for a beginner to develop his confidence. I love to trail ride and camp with horses.
    Kathryn
  9. MelanieThebirdlover

MelanieThebirdlover New Member

I do like horses, just never had the oppurtunity to ride or experience what you's have :( But I understand completely. I have 5 birds and 2 dogs, and love them tremendisly(sp) And I do feel some type of therapy just watching and admiring my birdies, and they come over to me and let me give them scritches, and I just melt away :D So I agree with ev, having a passion is theraputic. Take good care!!

Melanie the bird lover ;-)
  10. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I loved riding when I was younger and before FM
    got severe. If I managed to get my legs around
    a horse now it would become a permanent fixture
    for sure. LOL! No way could I ride now. I'm homebound too. But it's absolutely true that finding your passion is healing and healthy. I've found painting and other things that I really enjoy and while I'm doing one of them I can almost forget the FM for awhile. I have dogs, cats, birds, a fish and a bunny..my beautiful Rhode Island Red Rooster and his hen died recently. But I LOVE animals and they are ALL theraputic. Hugs, Bambi
  11. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

Just thinking about horses makes me envious for those who still have them or contact. I rode when I was young next to whitewater rafting it gave me such a high. My aunt and cousin raised arabians. She had 2cd largest farm in U.S. in Sister Oregon. Never did get there. I went to help out at a horse farm here in fl. with horses being used to help diabled kids. Partly to help and also to be aroung horses or get a chance to ride. I know menetally it is great therapy for me. After 2 hrs. of helping I was so bad and went into flare for almost a month and never did get to ride. I miss it soooo much anyone in fl. have access to horses? I would love to just be aroung them again, it helps me. I`ve ben thrwon and always got back up and still loved every minute. Can`t afford it now, all I can say is yeah for you & nahhhhhhh!
  12. LErdman

LErdman New Member

I have a 21 yr old Appendix Quarter Horse. I try to ride twice a week and would love to ride more but on the days I ride that is all I do. It feels so good to be out on the trail but when I get home I eat and take a nap.

He is boarded 1/2 mile from my home so I at least go see him almost every day. I know when I am having a really bad week when I do not go to the barn because I enjoy doing that.

Also have two dogs and 5 rabbits which keep me entertained.

Animals are GREAT therapy!
  13. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Kerrymygirl,
    Was that Patterson Arabians? We live nearby. My parents bought a mare from them and she had a colt that I rode while I was growing up, an absolutely beautiful white (grey) Arab gelding who would do anything for me. Kay Patterson is now married to the father of my high school friend, Renee. They raise llamas now and the woman who taught me to ride grooms, trains and shows Kay's llamas. (how do you train a llama?...)
    Tibbie
  14. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I was feeling really Sh**ty and had no energy to ride anymore and was REALLY depressed and my husband convinced me that we should sell my horse, who in a good market (whick would be NOT now in this economy) would be worth $15000 which also is nowhere NEAR what we paid for him, and back when we had better paying jobs. You know how depressed I must have been to agree to sell him. I cried on the phone to everyone who called about him. About this time I started on Guai therapy. Slowly over the next few months, since he had to be in shape and shown in order to be sold, I showed him and rode him and after a few months I came to the conclusion that I might have to divorce my husband because I was feeling good enough to ride my horse now thanks to the guai and there was no way I was going to sell him. I went to a marriage counselor to straighten a few things out, mainly my husband, and that's how come I can ride now. Some days are better than others, though... a flare keeps me off the critters and I just throw hay at them, or go in the pen and scratch and love them.
    Tibbie
  15. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

Sure is,from Chagrin Falls Ohio. She raises llama`s sent the 1st to as a gift to fam. was on front page of paper yrs ago. I have not seen her since her wedding. She was such an accomplished equestrian I was envious. She taught me to ride I was about 5. Her dad was a doc. at cleveland clinic. I called her mom when my dad died,she is in her 90`s just sold her last arabian. She said she was too old to take care of. Her brother Bobby was head of all Seaworlds and pres. of Amer. wild life at one time. Gee what a small world. I think of Kay often she was always so kind to me. My uncle, her dad was probably one of the best diagnosticians I ever met. I wish he was still alive I know he would try to help me. I would even go back to Ohio for that. How doe`s she look???
    [This Message was Edited on 03/30/2003]
  16. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

hi,
    i have one appendix gelding that i just adore. I used to do dressage and eventing. before this DD got so bad, i would ride almost every day but now i can hardly ever make it to the stable. i know i should sell him because he is such an expense but having him gives me a reason to try to get better.

ms. zosolight
  17. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I know, you just can't sell them, it would be too much like giving up on yourself.
    Tibbie
  18. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

This is great to see so many of us that can relate to how these animals give us so much enjoyment. I have had horses all my life, rode about every kind of event I could but once I rolled over to racing horses I never looked back. I was an exercise rider when I got hurt and this nightmare started for me. Now, you want to talk about an identity crisis!! I just am not me without being able to go back to work. I hate this, I just don't feel normal with this in my life and I have always been surrounded with horses. I have 2 of my own left but don't even have them with me. I need to do something about all this but right now I don't know where I will even be in a month or 2.

Glad we have all shared this, great topic everyone!

Hugs......Pam