Horseback riding anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JPach007, Jan 19, 2006.

1. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

You know, its the strangest thing...I have decided I want to get a horse. I am having a fence built in the backyard, a little barn and feed room, etc.
    So heres the strange part. I was riding this horse I may purchase yesterday for roughly 3.5 hours. (mostly walking..I'll be trailriding around my neighborhood)..Last night when I got home, I wasnt anymore sore than usual. I took my Ambien, Elavil and Mirapex and a Tavist-D (for allergies)...It hit me like a rock! I was having a tough time keeping my balance to walk...so off to bed I went. I slept real hard, and felt rested when I woke up. Normally I can have 1-2 glasses of wine after my pills and I'm fine. Any ideas what happened??
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

You have found "horse therapy"!! Lucky girl!! I've owned horses most of my life, but became too ill 3 years ago, and we sold our ranch.

But now I realize I just cannot live without them, so our new property has enough room for a two horse stall, paddocks, etc. just like you. We're going to see the plan this weekend.

Although I'm not going to buy a horse, as I'm still too ill to take on that kind of responsibility, I am advertising for two trail horses to come on & share with me.

Riding is the "only" activity I can do without having huge setbacks. In fact, I know that they give me healing energy. I call them my "angels".

Hope you'll have a 2nd horse to keep yours company, as they are herd animals, and don't feel safe unless they have a buddy. They're very sensitive, and being a prey animal, fear predators, of which there are many!!

Enjoy, and know you've found a great healing friend.

LIGHT**********carole
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Sounds like you found a therapy horse. Maybe you can get a coat for it and take it every where like therapy dogs!!LOL

I rode until about 3 years ago. My mare was really spooky and if there wasn't something to spook at she would make something up. She was also so bonded to my husband's gelding that you couldn't take one without the other or put them in seperate pastures.

The last time we rode my husband stepped of his gelding to adjust his stirrups. As soon as his foor was on the ground my mare started to buck. My husbands yelling "don't get hung up". And I'm thinking "hung up?!!! I'm not going off!"

I had broken my leg the year before and still had the plate and screws in it.

That was the last time I rode her. My DH just didn't think it was safe anymore. I don't heal up like I used to.

We sold them last summer to a man with a riding stable in the mountains (they both loved riding up there). It was a two for one sale. They had to stay together. The man who bought them tried to take the gelding out without taking the mare and they both went nuts. Now when the gelding goes out, the mare is right behind him. We put them across the road from each other once. Lasted about 2 hours. Both were in a lather from running the fence and we got tired of the hollering!

Good luck with your new friend!!

Hugs
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies (or horses in this case!)
  4. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Jpach007,
    I've riden most of my life, but when I got sick 6 yrs. ago I was in to much pain to do anything. My cousin suggested that I really could still ride , that it was very theraputic. I was very leary. By golly, I took up riding again, and I don't have pain from it. I don't have my own horse, and ride when I can, but I can ride! So it's wonderful that you have your own horse, and can ride often. It's a great sport!!

K.
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I can't tell you how important it is for people to know about horses needing each other. It's great if you have a big pasture with several horses, but for those of us who have only room for 2, then they become totally attached, and can hurt themselves by trying to jump fences, etc. if separated.

Seen it, and it's horrible.

LIGHT*********carole
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I can't tell you how important it is for people to know about horses needing each other. It's great if you have a big pasture with several horses, but for those of us who have only room for 2, then they become totally attached, and can hurt themselves by trying to jump fences, etc. if separated.

Seen it, and it's horrible.

LIGHT*********carole
  7. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Year ago, I worked at a dressage training stable. One of the horses was there for training because the owner had arthritis and her doctor had recommended that she take up dressage riding because it provided gentle exercise to the whole body.

There have been posts on this BB in the past about the benefit of rebounding exercise for people with CFS - bouncing on a mini-trampoline or exercise ball. I have wondered if the bouncing effect of horseback riding would also be beneficial. Please let us know the results of your continued riding.

I had a horse most of my life, but can no longer afford one. I also assume that I do not have the energy to ride, but wonder whether or not time spend riding would reduce the time/energy I would have available for other things.
  8. bigmh

bigmh New Member

I'm so happy for you!! I used to have 4 horses...my kids and I would ride and have so much fun. I loved going up in the mountains with the horses...I felt so much like a pioneer, a part of nature and the past!

My FMS made riding too uncomfortable...I needed a back on my saddle! Eventually I sold my horses, but I still miss laying my head on their warm backs in the winter...they smell so good :).

For me, sometimes if I am doing something distracting, I can more easily forget the pain, etc. Not always, but having fun is good for us in whatever way we can, and I am so happy for your new-found hobby. Please pet the critters for me!! Ann
  9. ksc

ksc New Member

I started riding 2 yrs ago.I have a wonderful Arab my daughter trained herself in 4-H. Trail riding became my addition! In nice weather I'll go 2-3 times a week. I'd go everyday if I could! I started to do 30 mile endurance rides, also. I don't go to win or place. I go to get in under the tome limit and for myself. My husband and other people scoffed at me and said I wouldn't beable to do it. The first one my husband made it half way and quit. I finished. I came in at a dead fast run and had a ball. Loved having the forrest trails to myself. Most people are in it place. I usually come in around 20th place- which suits me just fine!
    I hope you enjoy trailing as m,uch as I do. My husband bought an RV so now I can be more comfortable when we go for 3-4 days.
    HAPPY TRAILS!
    Kathy