Hospice and Medicare Part A

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by TwoCatDoctors, Mar 25, 2012.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I read in the local newspaper recently that to receive hospice care paid by Medicare, YOU MUST BE ENROLLED IN MEDICARE PART A. I didn't realize this.

If you have Medicare and don't enroll in Part A, to obtain hospice care not funded by Medicare you would need to find a volunteer hospice organization, pay out of your pocket or find some supplemental policy that would fund it.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I get Soc. Sec. benefits, but I find it all
    very confusiatin'. I have a sneaky suspicion that the govt. doesn't really
    know what it's doing. It was supposed to start paying me after I
    reached age 65 and a half, but it started paying several months early,
    but at a lesser rate.

After getting checks for 2 or 3 years, I got a letter saying the Soc. Sec.
    Administration had overpaid me about $500. But they also said they had
    underpaid me about $550. Here I had thought the checks that went to
    the bank every month were the same amount. Such goofiness!

Anyhoo I think I have A and B, but I sure can't keep 'em straight.

Rock
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

A local news station here takes on problems that people have, and one problem they are handling is that the elder father died and the Social Security Administration did a typo and wound up mistakenly taking $25,000 out of his bank account. SSA won't address the problem, so a news station is advertising that they will try to get to the bottom of it.

As to your situation, do you ever remember any of the SSA Statement of Earnings forms that you received ever looking odd for any years? I found out that one year an employer was off by one digit in my Social Security Number on my W-2 form and my earnings were credited by SSA to another person. I was able to get that corrected easily. but I only realized the error AFTER the SSA sent their yearly Statement of Earnings form when I was still working. It was amazing that H&R Block didn't even pick up the wrong digit in my SS number on the W-2 form too when they did my taxes.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/29/2012]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Part A Medicare is automatic as long as one has worked enough quarters to qualify for it. Almost everyone has or is on Medicare as a dependent of someone who has. It is rare not to have Part A if one is on M/C. Part A can be purchased but the premiums are steep.

Part B covers medical costs, like doctor visits, tests, and durable medical equipment (like oxygen). Part B must be purchased. If you do nothing when you age in, or get SSD, Part B is automatic and the premiums are deducted from your monthly check. You must actively opt out of it if you don't want it but you probably want and need it. You also probably need to purchase a supplemental plan unless you opt for Part C, below.

Part C deals with Medicare Advantage plans which are usually HMO/PPO plans with little or no monthly premiums. I am in one of these and love it. I pay not premiums, just co-pays or co-insurance when I use it. It also covers Part D, perscriptions.

Part D is the Rx benefit and it must be purchased separately from an insurance co. which offers it. It is often included if one participates in Part C.

This is the alphabet soup of Medicare. Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie