Hospital ICUs thread

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jake123, Jan 23, 2006.

1. jake123

jake123 New Member

When my mother was in the ICU for two weeks, they over medicated her but they explained it to me. They had her on a respirator and a catheter and they were giving her alot of different meds. The nurse said that she would not even remember being in the ICU or being so uncomfortable.
    Until they told me the whys and whatfors I was not too happy about it. I thought they were preventing her from getting well. They were, of course, understaffed. If they had to lift her and put her in a chair it would have taken several people. When they did finally put her in a chair, she slid almost right out of it! so back in the bed she went.
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

My DIL's father is in the ICU right now recovering from a major heart attack, then heart surgery, and pneumonia, etc.

They have him heavily sedated, on purpose, in order to let his heart rest. If they don't allow his heart to rest, he could die.

3. jake123

jake123 New Member

I think part of it is that they keep them sedated because they are understaffed and I guess they can say that the patients are stable. My mom had developed diabetes and it was all over the scale. That was one reason they were keeping her down. Another was that she had a spike of blood pressure every day they would have to fight.