Hospitalized Boy Scout Warns About Lyme Disease

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by fight4acure, Jun 9, 2006.

1. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

http://www.channel3000.com/news/9350235/detail.html
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I sure wish the national media would pick up some stories like that - yet all they show are stories about possible avian flu in other countries. I reallllly don't get it!

here's most of the article - you may have a moderator removing the url as we're only supposed to post org or gov urls....
    -------

MADISON, Wis. -- A Belleville Boy Scout has issued a warning to other campers after a bout with a bad tick landed him in the hospital.

Carl Messer, 13, of Madison Troop 11 remains hospitalized after coming down with Lyme disease.

The tick bite ended up causing Messer heart blockage. His beats per minute plummeted from his normal rate in the 80s down to the upper 20s.

Five days ago, a wire was attached to his heart while intravenous lines pumped antibiotics into his body, WISC-TV reported.

Messer was camping at Crex Meadows in far northwestern Wisconsin in early May with his scout troop when he was bit, although at the time he did not know the tick got him, WISC-TV reported.

"I had no energy, and that's not like me because I'm always hyper, and I have lots of energy. And I just had headaches and I couldn't breathe (very easily)," Messer said.

Three weeks later, he ended up in the UW Hospital's Children's Intensive Care Unit with headaches and breathing difficulties.

He has now been here for five days, WISC-TV reported.

"It was the scariest experience of my life -- knowing he had to go into surgery with a heart that was not pumping correctly," said Theresa Messer, Carl's mother.

Carl Messer is now advising campers to always wear bug spray.

"I didn't spray. I should have but I didn't," Carl Messer said. He also recommended campers to pull socks over their pant legs to keep ticks out.

Doctors said the number of Wisconsin Lyme disease cases has increased in each of the past four years.

There were more than 1,400 cases reported in 2005.

The deer tick bite is usually painless, and experts said the tick needs to be attached to human skin for about 24 hours before the disease can be transmitted.
    ------------

That last part is weird, cuz I have heard time frames of much less in other news stories in other states and research... like 4--6 hours, some say even less.

best,
    Victoria

3. jarjar

jarjar New Member

I too was an Eagle Scout and have hiked from the Rocky Mountains of Northern New Mexico to the Ozarks...I can remember picking off ticks so many times. I was lucky that my immune system was able to keep most symptoms at bay untill I reached 34.

I find myself anymore not even encouraging my kids to go into tick infected places. Little did I know my life would be turned upside down and have to leave my career over the damage a little tick did.

Jar
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2006]