Hospitals Patient Dumping

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PVLady, Feb 10, 2007.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Last week one of our local hospitals dumped a poor man. What has our world come to??? This is not the first time they were caught, and worse, there are hospitals over the USA doing this. Below is news article...

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A hospital van dropped off a paraplegic man on Skid Row, allegedly leaving him crawling in the street with nothing more than a soiled gown and a broken colostomy bag, police said.

Witnesses who said they saw the incident Thursday wrote down a phone number on the van and took down its license-plate number, which helped detectives connect the vehicle to Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center, the Los Angeles Times reported on its Web site.

Police said the incident was a case of "homeless dumping" and were questioning officials from the hospital.

"I can't think of anything colder than that," said Detective Russ Long. "There was no mission around, no services. It's the worst area of Skid Row."

The case comes three months after the L.A. city attorney's office filed its first indictment for homeless dumping against Kaiser Permanente for an incident earlier last year.

In that case, a 63-year-old patient from the hospital's Bellflower medical center was videotaped wandering the streets of Skid Row in a hospital gown and socks.

An after-hours call Thursday to Hollywood Presbyterian seeking comment was not immediately returned.

Kaylor Shemberger, the hospital's executive vice president, told the Times the incident was under investigation.

"Obviously we are very concerned about the information that has been presented to us," Shemberger said. "If some of the facts are correct, it is clearly not in line with our policy of handling these types of patients."

City officials have accused more than a dozen hospitals of dumping patients and criminals on Skid Row. Hospital officials have denied the allegations, but some said they had taken homeless patients to Skid Row service providers.

In 2005, Hollywood Presbyterian was accused of homeless dumping.

At the time, a top executive denied the charge, but said Skid Row service providers offered treatment and care for some patients who had nowhere else to go.

2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Is illegal. Any hospital that does this risks losing their contracts with Medicare and Medicaid which would result in financial disaster. Any hospital that does this would deserve financial disaster.
  3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Coming from the UK I don't fully appreciate how the US healthcare system works,but I do read a lot of posts with people talking about their medical insurance.If what's reported in the article then that is truly shocking.There's no way that would be allowed to happen in the UK.
    I'm just glad we have the National Health Service(NHS) over here which is totally funded by government contributions,so it means free health care for all.I know it's not the best system or most medically advanced system in the world but at least we have 24 hr access to hospital services.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/11/2007]
  4. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I wouldn't actually say that the USA healthcare system "works", other than giving employment to about a million people whose jobs are to cut health care costs, often by denying coverage.

Oh, and giving high reimbursement to CEO's who succede in cutting health care costs.

The USA government's Veterans Administration health program has actually become an embarassment recently because it is working so much better than the HMO's.

HMO's are one of biggest, if not biggest, donors to political parties and candidates. I don't think the VA makes political contributions.

Anyway, I want my neighbor to be healthy. I don't want my neigbor to forgo treatment because of lack of access. Like, I don't want chicken pox epidemics.
    etc,etc,grumble, vent etc. sigh

Jaltair, thank you for your clarification. It did seem difficult to believe that any ambulance drivers could be so callous without some other reasons or justifications to explain. Every newspaper reported event that I've had personal knowledge about has had significant errors.

[This Message was Edited on 02/12/2007]
  5. jaltair

jaltair New Member

The hospital actually discharged him back to the mission where he was staying, but it was full, so the man requested to be taken to the park where he was "dropped" off. He couldn't be detained anywhere else like a boarding house if he didn’t want to go; doing otherwise would have been a violation of his rights.

This story was written to get a lot of hullabaloo over really nothing and for purpose of selling papers. I get tired of the press capitalizing on sensationalism ... that's what they were doing.

People have a right to be homeless if they choose. It’s not uncommon for hospitals to release people to the streets. This may go against our grain morally, but we have to abide by laws.