Hot and cold flashes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reva727, Feb 5, 2003.

1. reva727

reva727 New Member

I haven't been on the message board for awhile. I just started having a new problem and decided check it out. I found some from last month about this problem, but does anyone know if it's a fibromyalgia thing? I sweat then I get cold. Sometimes I'm hot and cold at the same time. I just quit my estrogen but have been taking black cohosh. It helped last time. I'm also on thyroid medication. I could understand the hot flashes if it was the estrogen, but cold flashes? I also read about the herpes virus 6. I have had cold sores, is that the same thing? This is driving me (and my husband) crazy.
  2. fairlopgirl

fairlopgirl New Member

I have been having this problem ever since I went off HRT. Black cohash didn't help me - I am now trying red clover but not long enough to tell if it is working. I am constantly putting a cardigan on and off. I don't have cold sores or herpes so don't think there is any connection.
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I read about something here on the board called Dysautonomia. It is a disregulation of the autonomous nervous system and one of the symptoms is being hot all the time. You can look it up by doing a Search. I don't know too much about it, but people with FMS can have it. I used to be cold every winter - I even slept in a sweat-suit. About one year ago this started. Now it's 20 degrees out and I'm sleeping in a summer nightshirt. I wear short-sleeved shirts to work. It's strange, but there's not too much I can do about it. I went through menopause 5 years ago and had a hysterectomy in November, but these aren't hot flashes. I'm just hot all the time. Another crazy symptom of FMS!

Annette2
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Hot flashes followed by the chills is a common symptom of perimenopause. I get it all the time, but rather than a "hot" flash, it's a warm glow, then I proceed on to being VERY cold and shaking. It lasts about 20 minutes and then goes away. Hormone surges it's called. :)

Marilyn :)
  5. s43

s43 New Member

I could have written that post,i had an hysterectomy last may and due to family history i cannot take HRT so have been on black cohosh which is helping.I'm also on thyroid meds[THYROXINE] i also have hot and cold moments and at the moment i have a lovely cold sore on my lip.SHARON